PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye - and not the powder

Jonesiv
10-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, I've been reading this site for awhile now,and I have to thank you all for the awesome source of information.

I have a little reloading experience, but I really need to step it up while I'm trying to learn NRA Bullseye shooting. I need to shoot a lot, and I want to be able to afford to shoot plenty of pretty cast semi wadcutters.
Any just up front advice? I'd like to tumble lube to start out, for simplicity and cost reasons. I hear good things on this forum about the lee tl 45swc, or should I look at the more standard style molds?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching for Bullseye on a reloading site gets me way more responses than I can dig through.

Thanks.

williamwaco
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Advice:

1) The Lee molds are great. I like the 452-200SWC tumbled in LLA.

2) The first step is "START NOW"

KCSO
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
A good accurate load, my favorite with the Lee bullet is 4.2 of bullseye, and practice, lots of practice. I like to use the new laser target ctgs and snap penny on the wall.

jld_in_IA
10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Jonesiv,

Welcome to the forum. As you've already noticed, there is a lot of valuable information to be had, and if you don't see the answers you are looking for, feel free to ask.

I will do my best to pass on the little knowledge I have picked up around here. I've been shooting bullseye for less than a year, so take this as helpful suggestions from another noob.

First, in terms of target accuracy with a .45, I don't really think you can go wrong with a good SWC or TC design. You will see that the H&G 68 SWC is very popular, particularly with the 1911 group.

Second - if you have not already done it, slug your barrel. I can tell you that this is the first mistake I made, not slugging, and lead me to many erroneous beliefs about cast bullets which I then had to un-learn. Once you know the size of your barrel, you can find boolits to fit whether you cast them yourself or buy commercial cast.

As far as lube is concerned, this seems to be an area of strong personal preference. I'm sure that the proponents of each type (tumble, pan or pressure lubing) will each tell you that theirs is best. That being the case, my suggestion is that you start with what you have equipment for (apparently tumble lube), and try various lubes.

Remember that the goal here is to prevent leading and reduce abrasion as the bullet travels down the barrel. Ok, size has more to do with leading, but lack of lube will cause it too. If you really want to test this theory, start with a known good load that doesn't lead your barrel, and then shoot 5-10 rounds with no lube and check for leading. I've been convinced that it is worth the effort to find a lube that leaves a nice lube star at the end of your barrel after 3-5 shots. There are many experts on this subject over in the lube forum.

If you have more specific questions about equipment or techniques, please let us know. We will all be happy to chime in and offer our opinions. Best of all, the opinions are free, and worth every penny.

bobthenailer
10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
PM sent

2wheelDuke
10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
I like that boolit. That was the first mold of my own. Look into the sticky from Recluse about the "45-45-10" mix of Lee Liquid Alox, Johnson's paste wax, and mineral spirits.

Jon
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I like the Alox pretty well for my 1911. The LEE molds seem to work fine for me. Just make sure you smoke them, and lube the pins a bit. I usually toss the first few casts back into the pot since they don't usually fill out well until the mold is hot.

Dave C.
10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Jonesiv:

Try the bullseye-L site. And also the the Bullseyepistol.com site.
Lots of good info!

Dave C.

wv109323
10-23-2012, 07:03 PM
I have been shooting Bullseye since 1980 as a Master class. The "go-to" bullet for Bullseye is the H&G 068 or 069 profile. One is bevel base and one is flat based. The 068/069 is a 200 gn. SWC with a single grease groove. The 068/069 seems to be the easiest profile to obtain the needed 50 yard accuracy. The "sweetspot" for accuracy for that Boolit is around 775-800 FPS. There are several powders that can be used: Bullseye (4.0-4.2 Gn),, Clays, VV310, Solo 1000 Just to mention a few. Winchester Large Pistol Primers are top of the line and seem to ignite the powder better than others. TAPER crimp the loaded round to .469 to .470 for reliable functioning.. OAL of the loaded round is NOT important. What you need to do is leave 1/32" of the square shoulder of the bullet exposed beyond the mouth of the case. I have found Remington- Peters cases to have a thinner wall and need special attention as far as taper crimp goes. Other than that I do not segregate my cases and I do NOT trim them to lenghth.
Not to discourage you but I have never known anyone to use a tumble-lubed bullet in Bullseye Competition. I am not saying it can't be done but I have never heard of it.
Another option would be to use the tumble lube for practice and the 25 yard line and Buy a premium cast bullet for the 50 Yard line in matches.
You don't mention your pistol so I have no way of knowing the type of barrel you are using. Most all Kart barrels are .4515 and shoot .452 bullets very well. Colt barrels also shoot .452 boolits well.
Two things that I would ask you to do. Make sure that your pistol/ammo combination is capable of delivering the accuracy that you need at fifty yards. Don't assume that factor. Test with sandbags or Ransom rest to make sure you have the needed accuracy. I have fallen victim to this two times. Once I traded for a ball gun built by one of the top USMC armorers and began "ball" competition. Three years into shooting ball and I find out the pistol will not hold the eight ring at 50 yards.
The other time was I acquired a Star press. Come to find out the neck sizing die of the Star press was not expanding the case mouth large enough. Thus I was cramming my .452 bullets in the case and the bullets were being resized to .450 and I lost all accuracy with the loaded rounds.
The second thing I would mention is bullet size. If you are going to tumble lube that means you will most likely shoot bullets that are"as cast" in size. Make sure that all the cavities of that mould is throwing bullets of the same size. I have just discovered one of my six cavity moulds is throwing Boolits over a very wide unacceptable range of Diameters.
I hope this helps and FEEL FREE to PM me. By the way welcome to the sport.
Another thing you will find about Bullseye shooters that most all are more than happy to assist you. Find you a mentor to help you out.

Jonesiv
10-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks, everybody!
I found someone nearby who sells the tumble wadcutter, so I'm ging to get a chance to try that and h&g style before I buy a mold. And slug the barrel.
KSCO, thanks for the load! I'd seen elsewhere that bullseye (the powder) was good, which is great, cause its what I used in the past.
Now over to the reloading equipment forum to ask about a boneheaded mistake I made

Jonesiv
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Looks like I was posting thanks while you were posting a ton of useful stuff, WV! So thanks as well to you.
I'm shooting a springfield range officer, so if anyone knows that barrel off the top of their head, I'll be impressed and grateful.

Pan lubing is definitely also a possibility, I just wasn't sure how it would work on bevel base bullets. I like your idea of tl for practice and short line, and going to the pros for 50yds, at least for the immediate future.

Thanks again, I'll bug you by pm in the future!

captaint
10-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Jonesiv - Welcome. You're gonna like it here. Please don't smoke your molds. All this does is cover up other problems. A clean, hot, mold will do the job right. You might think about getting a cheap hot plate from Wallys or somewhere to pre heat the molds on. This works really well. Scrub your mold clean with dish soap and toothbrush & hot water and get it hot on the hotplate and start pourin them up. You might want to get something like (sawblade thick) metal plate to go between the mold and the coils on the hotplate. enjoy Mike

TCFAN
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a question or two I have always wondered about.In formal bullseye is the 1911 required or can a 45 revolver be used. And also is a red dot or scope sight legal ??.Thanks ...Terry

Jonesiv
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Captaint, thanks! I was thinking of a hot plate to melt lead anyways, might as well order 2. (my other option is camp stove, and that just strikes me as a good opportunity for me to knock over a pot of lead on my porch.

Terry, from what I've learned so far, revolvers and red dots are both legal, my grandfather shot a SW model of 1955, and I would too, if my dad would let it out of his safe. Bullseye skipped a generation.

TCFAN
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jonesiv for the come back. If I ever tried to shoot bullseye I would prefer a revolver just for the reason that I hate to chase brass from a 1911.Also some form of optical sight would be necessary since I am getting to old to see open sights.......Terry

motorcycle_dan
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I would prefer a revolver
yes you can shoot revolver all way through. Was at a match in NC this past weekend. Guy to my right was shooting, Smith Model 17, Model 14, and model 625 in rim fire, CF and .45 respectively.

Shooting iron sights or optics is your choice. Red dot seems to be more popular. I prefer the smaller tube 1" ultra dot. Don't automatcially assume you can't use iron sights as you get older. Talke to your eye doctor and have him write a special iron sight prescription. Cheaper to get a set of glasses with iron sight prescription than a red dot. You should be able to count the ridges in a pencil eraser held at arms length. Have that prescription in your dominant eye and distance prescription in non dominant eye. I use small piece of scotch tape as occluder.

Some CMP service pistol matches or distinguished revolver matches require iron sights. Also good for your long gun work. Google search for articles written by Dr. Wong about shooting glasses.

motorcycle_dan
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to learn NRA Bullseye shooting.
there are many web site and e-mail list for bullseye.
What you really want to do is get into a league and then start shooting matches. Even if just shooting .22 all way through, you will learn the technique.
Getting good at bullseye is a process, there is no magic pill.
You scores will rocket up then plateau, then rocket up again.
My highest recommendation would be to get a marvel conversion and the Range officer 1911. That has everything you need to make it to expert level.
Spend your shooting budget on range time and ammo components.
the latest wiz bang gizmo will not help much.
Dry fire and learning your process to shoot an X will.

Jonesiv
10-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks, Dan! Pm inbound

wv109323
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
TCFAN,
Let me give a little more clarification.
There are two types of "Bullseye" pistol shooting.
The biggest and most likely is NRA Bullseye. The .45 Stage has to be the .45 ACP cartridge. It can be a revolver but must be .45 ACP and not 45 colt.
There is also a .22 RF stage and a centerfire stage. A revolver can be used in either or both of those. In centerfire any centerfire can be used 32,38,40,41 or 45. The most common is .38 special. Sights in the NRA portion can be iron ,scope or red dot.
The second type of Bullseye is administered by the CMP. These matches are commonly called "Ball" or "Leg" matches. In those the 1911 in .45ACP or the Beretta 92 in 9mm must be used with iron sights. Adjustable iron sights are acceptable.

Dave C.
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Get a rule book!
Any 45 cal cartrige can be use in the 45 portion of an NRA match.

Leadmelter
10-24-2012, 08:02 PM
My club has some Bulls-eye shooters left.
For fifty feet, they use 185gr Lyman styled boolits with the the NRA formula lube.
Outdoors before Camp Perry, the ransom rest to put to use for the 50 yard targets.
Most use 200 gr Lyman bootit with either Bullseye or WW230.
Bullseye is the Zen of shooting. Mad at the wife, work or et el, your scores will go south.
Good Luck and keep them is the black!
Gerry
MI

Leadmelter
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I forgot to add that all shooter buy in large quanitities with powder and primers in the same lot so you don't have to waste time to tweek loads.
Gerry
MI

243winxb
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Size your home cast boolits before loading.

ChuckS1
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
TCFAN,
The second type of Bullseye is administered by the CMP. These matches are commonly called "Ball" or "Leg" matches. In those the 1911 in .45ACP or the Beretta 92 in 9mm must be used with iron sights. Adjustable iron sights are acceptable.

Only thing I would add is that the 1911 cannot have a beavertail safety and must have a spur hammer.