PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with runfiverun part 2

runfiveslittlegirl
10-23-2012, 12:36 AM
So today I was in a terribly bad mood, I wanted to hang out with my friends didn't want to go up hunting because of the lousy weather. Fought with dad about it.
Well, dad won. We go all the way up around the canyons and see a few sets of doe by themselves and a couple with fawn. It starts hailing marbles and this is just making me madder. I just wanted to go home because it was terrible.
Dad asked whether I'd rather go up the canyon or down and home and I said down. We get almost out of the forest, and there is a little clearing and I look up to see not one but three spike bucks standing in the clearing, not even two miles from my house at this point might I add, I figure at this point in the hunt and with the weather, yea ones getting shot.
I picked out the biggest one hopped out of the truck and shot em'
He took off about fifty yards then dropped. I was so pissed off cold and hungry I didn't really care he wasn't all that big. Just glad I actually found one this year. :lol:

Now I now you're all gonna want to know bullet details, your gonna have to ask runfiverun for those.
(he also took the pictures on my cell phone)

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1022121825b.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1022121825.jpg

and one of his lil 12 inch spike
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1022121826.jpg

waksupi
10-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Geez, Dawn, you sure are grouchy, considering you just got something to eat!

RugerFan
10-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Great job Dawn! Can't wait to read the ballistic info.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 03:25 AM
she finally got her fresca [it was even cold]
she was using my old tang safety ruger [kinda hers now i guess] in 7x57 i had the the bbl cut down to 20 inches [i know, go look for y'alls surprised face i'll wait]
using her mom's rifles' load consisting of 51.2 grs of rl-19 in 257+p brass with the hornady 139 interlock boat tail and winchester primers running along at just over 2725 fps in this rifle.
dunno where i got the boat tails from, but i have a box or two of them [?] i don't remember ever buying any.
this is the SMALLEST :lol: deer EVER shot with this combo and the furthest one has ever run [i made it closer to 40 yds] they usually don't make 20.
the deer was quartering in towards us and down hill so the shot only took out one lung and just barely clipped the heart muscle making a neat slice on the surface.
it did the classic heart shot leap and kick and took off, i thought after the first 20 yds of it running the shot had missed.
then it just stopped in mid run, took two steps sideways, and dropped.

what you see is velvet still on the tops of the horns which are a deep chocolate color and they have some stickers and thick spots on them, one even has an eyeguard starting out.
it probably should have been a 2 point, they just never branched out, just got thick at the tops.

like i said in the other thread, the deer have been weird this year.
deer scattered every where, high and low, migrating up and down the same hill, does wandering all alone, and then 3 young bucks all together?
not normal.

btroj
10-23-2012, 08:29 AM
You made her go hunting instead of hanging with friends? Ogre

Nice deer Dawn. Sure wish my 18 year old daughter was hunting with me this year.

swheeler
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Congratulations Dawn.

x101airborne
10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted to do, but look at it this way, one day you wont be able to hunt with him. I am having to argue with my dad to get him to quit working long enough to hunt, and I am taking my kids and wife with me as much as I can. There is nothing I would rather do than hunt with my family.
Congradulations on the deer. Our season will open in two weeks and I am looking forward to taking my oldest boy out.

OnHoPr
10-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice buck runfiveslittlegirl. Is that a smile on your face in the first pic. You know those deer aren't made out of sugar, they don't melt in bad weather. Just look you harvested your buck in bad weather and the season is only so long. You never know there could have been three bruisers standing in that clearing.[smilie=1::2_high5:

smokeywolf
10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I sure do love seeing dads and sons and especially dads and daughters hunting together. Memories are some of our most valuable possessions. You two just made one of your best.
Life is good!
Even when the weather is not.

smokeywolf

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
wasn't much of an arguement.
it ended with "you'll never shoot a deer from the house".

crabo
10-23-2012, 06:18 PM
wasn't much of an arguement.
it ended with "you'll never shoot a deer from the house".

My BIL and his wife, just north of Coeur d'Alene, take the screen off the bedroom window and collect meat every year.

Good job Dawn.

canyon-ghost
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
<<< This is one of your friends more impressed with your buck than a new cellphone, lol!

Good Hunting, Dawn, Congratulations.

oneokie
10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
take the screen off the bedroom window and collect meat every year.

No comment[smilie=1:

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 09:35 PM
My BIL and his wife, just north of Coeur d'Alene, take the screen off the bedroom window and collect meat every year.

Good job Dawn.

even here in town we "could" at certain times of the year.
now when i'm over to the inlaw's looking at a tractor or ummm "fixing" one of my internationals out on the edge of the pasture.........

Idaho Mule
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
I like the pink painted fingernails holding up the horns there. Congrats on the deer there, I'm fairly certain that run will reduce it to smaller pieces, dress it in white, store in freezer and help keep everyone fed well this winter. Youngest son and I were after his elk last evening, second evening in a row we got into them but couldn't get a shot, DANG IT!! We didn't go tonight, he had driver's ed (the triangle of death I call it). We will hit it hard tomorrow tho and hopefully he can connect.

TXGunNut
10-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice buck, nicely done!

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 01:13 AM
yep back straps,and tenderloins.
some steaks will be coming of this one too.
i'll de-bone them,then both will be off to the local store for grinding with added beef fat.
i may make some jerky from the ground deer when it comes back.
the dogs will get some bones and the rest will most likely go out to the yotes.

still debating the elk [looking for a unit to try this year]

leftiye
10-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Yote coat. Uh huh!

cobbmtmac
10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Dawn,

CONGRATULATION! Like most have said, it is such a special feeling when, in my case one of my sons bags a deer. Somehow, I think your Dad must even be prouder!

BTW, sure hope to see all of you at NCBS 2013!

runfiveslittlegirl
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Ok, first off I dont mind hunting with my dad, I love it and go all the time; however, I was pissed because it was after twelve days of not seeing anything already and it was hailing.
lol I really hate the cold.

Canyon-Ghost definitely not a new cell phone. It's actually pretty old. He just cant take pictures lol.

Idaho Mule- lol yea still being made fun of for neon orange nails during hunting. Keep getting told they dont count as the orange we're supposed to wear.. He'll get his shot, there's no need to worry about it =]

Moonie
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I've got a 14 year old daughter that is begging to go on her first hunting trip. Thinking I'll oblige her this year.