PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 reciever hole threads?

G. Blessing
06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
G'day Gents,

Can anyone tell me what the thread is on the holes on the side of my winchester? Its a 30-30 made in '71 if thats relavent. :)

There are the four holes in a line that are the same, one hole a bit smaller towards the butt end, and the one that currently has a screw in it.

Don't have enough machine screws on hand to try in them. I figured that walking into the local harware store with it to check them could be a bad idea. [smilie=1: ;)

Thanks for any help!

Gary

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Ice-Tigre/Shooting/win-94/recieverholesmarked.jpg

ktw
06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
The ones marked in red are not factory holes. They were added later by a gunsmith for a scope mount.

-ktw

fishhawk
06-05-2007, 02:09 PM
most likeley they are 6-48 or 8-40 if they used the screws that came with the mount

scrapcan
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
the above posts are dead on for the screws marked with red. The other are factory. I have a book at home that would have the specs for each. I don't recall the exact title or author but it is the collectors handbook for the winchester 94 and 95 and is orange in color. If someone else has it they can look up the size and thread pitch. If not, I can look it up this evening and get back to you.

Pepe Ray
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
The 2 small screws under the red one on the right, are in the receiver sight position. Remove the one and try it in the questionable ones. If it's a match you have a sample to take to the hardware store. Also, depending on the age of the rifle, The rcve sight holes may or may not be factory. If they are facty, then manleyjt can tell you what they are.
Pepe Ray

Junior1942
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
You'll need 4, 8-40 plug screws. Any gunsmith or plain ol' gun nut will have some. They'll cost about 50 cents each. You won't find them in a hardware store.

They're about $8 a dozen at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=792&title=PLUG+SCREW+KIT

Linstrum
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi, Gary, at this point your best bet is to let manlyjt look up the thread size for you. Hopefully the aftermarket work was done using the correct gun screw thread pitch.

For most guns designed or made in the United States for domestic use, the traditional thread pitch for mounting sights and other hardware is different from the American and National thread series that were used for machinery, automobiles, and home appliances, being finer than the standard fine series. They were pretty much, but not always, 40 turns per inch with 48 turns per inch for the smaller screws. So your local Ace and Sentry hardware stores don’t carry them.

There are two reasons why super fine threads are used, the main one is that cutting threads in hardened and super tough barrel steels is extremely difficult, so threads are used that require the least amount of material removal. The other reason why fine threads are used is to prevent the screws from loosening. Nowadays with really good anaerobic thread locking compounds the use of fine threads to prevent loosening is no longer quite as important, but tough hardened steel is just as difficult as ever to cut threads into, so the fine threads are still going to be around.

jh45gun
06-07-2007, 01:11 AM
You'll need 4, 8-40 plug screws. Any gunsmith or plain ol' gun nut will have some. They'll cost about 50 cents each. You won't find them in a hardware store.

They're about $8 a dozen at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=792&title=PLUG+SCREW+KIT

Could be 8 40 Junior but they could be 6 48 too depending on what the gunsmith used. I have seen both used for scope mounts.

G. Blessing
06-07-2007, 03:56 AM
OK,

Hmmm... I should have a couple 8-40s to check with if I can find them; I build/customize knives for a side buisness, that size is common in modern folders. Yup, fine threads are common in harder/tougher steels, guns and knives have that in common...

; Errr, nevermind, what I have is 8-32. :roll:

I had thought that those 4 holes were stock, as there are a few scope mounts sold with that pattern. Do the later or earlier guns have that pattern? or do you have to add them for all? just curious...

Went and asked my Dad; yup, he added them for the scope mount. Didn't remember what thread though. Only been 30 years ago... ;)

They were added for -this mount- (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19023&title=SIDE+MOUNT+1%22+RINGS+%26+BASES+-+R-Z), but I don't have the plate, just the piece with the rings..... so no screws.

I'm making a custom mount plate for that scope mount, a weaver rail, and a mount bar for a custom peep sight. Thus needing screws. :)

Thanks for the link Junior, I had wondered if there were plug screws available. I searched brownells, but didn't fing that. :oops:

Our local hardware has some size 8s, but like Linstrum said, if he used the thread count made for scope mounting, I'm out of luck for checking it before ordering screws.

Interesting.
[smilie=b:

Thanks fellows. :-D

Gary

John Taylor
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/cproducts.asp?idDept=408Look here for screws. Best price I have found so far. The 2 smaller holes are most likely factory 6-48. The larger after market holes if done by a gunsmith should be 8-40.

scrapcan
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Gary,

How are you doing on this one? Do you need me to pull the book out and get you some specs? If you need more info send me a pm and I will get the specs for you. If I remember correctly from reading the book, there were no factory scope mount holes in the pattern that your picture shows.

If that is a pre-64 model then it should use the weaver 3D base. You should be able to get the side plate and the mount screws from weaver. I think the whole mount is less than $20. Also just about any gunshop should have a replacement screw selection. Even some of the sporting good stores that sell veaver mounts or install scopes may have the required base and screws.

k8bor
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I pulled the screw out of mine and checked the major thread diameter and I think you'll find it's either a 12-24 or a 12-28 thread.
Rifles are the only place I've seen those threads used. You can't find cheap replacement screws anywhere in hardware stores or anything. That particular screw holds the lever stop pin in place and has a small pin sticking out of the end of it.

k8bor

k8bor
06-07-2007, 04:13 PM
oops, i was looking at the wrong screw!!!
sorry,
k8bor

NickSS
06-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a 94 of about the same vintage and the reciever sight plug scrwes are 6-40s so if you try them and they fit in your mounting holes you know what size if they are bigger you can almost guaratee they are 8-40s

slughammer
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
The tap drill size for 8-40 is number 28 or .1405 dia.

G. Blessing
06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm going to hit the local home town gun shop tomorrow, and see if the fellow has any screws. I'll just get a couple of each of those two threads if he does.

I know I can get the weaver plate and screws pretty cheap(~$9), but I need a diferent configuration on the plate for some other things, so I would be payin' the $9 just for the screws.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :)

G.

Jon K
06-08-2007, 02:03 AM
OK,

I'm making a custom mount plate for that scope mount, a weaver rail, and a mount bar for a custom peep sight. Thus needing screws. :)

Thanks fellows. :-D

Gary

Making a custom mount?
These are handy:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19929&title=LONG+6-48+%26+8-40+SCREWS
$12.45
Plenty of screws to mount everything in your project.

Jon:coffee: