PDA

View Full Version : May be in TX in December looking for pig info

clintsfolly
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
My Dad is thinking of wintering in El Paso with my sister and her Army husband(know in Afghanistan) to keep her company and stay warm. He Hates to fly and should not drive by himself. So my brother and I have offered to drive him down. In the talks we said ,We got to find some place to hunt Pig while down there!! Will be thankfull for any info Thanks Clint :bigsmyl2:

kopperl
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Wrong part of Texas for pigs. El Paso is javalina country.

starmac
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure where he is coming from, but there is an extremely good chance he will have to drive through a lot of great hog country to get to el paso. lol

Javelinas are good huntin too though.

km101
10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Hogs follow water when expanding their range. So when they hit West Texas it kinda stops their progression. But I know there are feral hogs as far west as Sweetwater. But thats still a long way from El Paso. As suggested, you might try Javalina hunting in the El Paso ares. Javalina are smaller, faster and meaner than feral hogs, but they are just as good eating. Just takes more of them to feed a crowd. :)

Yes, I can spell, I just cant type!

starmac
10-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Feral hogs are at least as far west as eastern NM. I know of several ranches by the caprock that have major trouble with them.
I even know one that bought and uses a motorized parachute to shoot them from. lol

The ones I know about are 350 miles north of el paso though.

clintsfolly
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Coming from MI and will drive some out of the way to hunt. what a few hundred miles more on a trip that long? Clint

lcclower
10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
The Rio Grande north of El Paso supports a lot of irrigated farming, prime swine habitat.
The Canadian River drainage has pigs, between Amarillo and Albuquerque.
See: http://southwestfarmpress.com/livestock/feral-swine-invade-new-mexico-farm-and-rangeland-threaten-agriculture

starmac
10-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Coming from MI and will drive some out of the way to hunt. what a few hundred miles more on a trip that long? Clint

Coming from mi, you should be going through some prime pig country, finding an affordable place to hunt will be the only thing you will have to deal with.

Olevern
10-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Worth a side trip to South Texas. I'm sure some of our folk here can set you up for some great pig shooting.

Area north of Corpus Christi is good.

clintsfolly
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes a lot of prime country but where to stop and hunt?? any info will be used a we are Thankful Clint

Crawdaddy
10-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Head north out of El Paso and in to New Mexico. Go through Carlsbad and halfway to Artesia to Brantley Wildlife Management area. Hunt along the Pecos river, there are plenty in there. If you need a gps coordinate, let me know. I would estimate it being a two hour drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD