PDA

View Full Version : Texas concealed carry

DLCTEX
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
I had to re qualify for CCW this weekend. I won't have to do it again for 10 years, since this was my second re qualify class I get to skip one. I still have to apply and pony up the money every five years.

SciFiJim
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Lucky you. In CA it is every two years. We don't have to qualify though, just have to attend a four hour class and pay the fees. Here, the fees are $55 every two years for renewal.

Jeff82
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
In Wisconsin we need to renew licenses every five-years ($50 bucks) and maintain a valid Wisconsin drivers license. No requalification or refresher training. They are REALLY sticklers about informing them about changes of address though. There's a $50 fine for not informing DOJ of address changes with 30-days. I guess they really want to know where we are, which makes me wonder...

fishhawk
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
actually the renewal fee for wis 25 bucks but that will be in 5 years. http://www.usacarry.com/support/knowledgebase/renew-wisconsin-ccw-license-cost/

Jeff82
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
I stand corrected. I guess the initial filing fee is $50, and renewals are $25. That'll work for me.

DLCTEX
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
If I remember correctly the initial filing fee was $135 and renewals are $75 ($35 for seniors and indigents) with the class price set by the instructor (I paid $75). Plus the cost of passport photo and finger printing.

27judge
10-25-2012, 09:56 AM
In md its 50.00 and every 4 years. Problem is it takes 90 days and the same paper work as the first time which is a pile including new fingerprints. Which i guess the state of md thinks changes over 4 years tks ken

rond
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I had to re qualify for CCW this weekend. I won't have to do it again for 10 years, since this was my second re qualify class I get to skip one. I still have to apply and pony up the money every five years.

It's after your 3rd renewal that you get to skip the class, the first time doesn't count as a renewal. Found out when I renewed mine.

Gliden07
10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Just went to renew my Pistol Permit (As it is fondly know as here in MA). The Police Department interviews you and asks you questions as to why you want a permit. Here they have 4 differant type permits 1 is Large capacity for guns manufactured prior to 1998 (so you can own large Cap magazines and guns that can use them), second is lower capacity cant own high capacity mags (this is a dumb one cause you can own guns that will take high cap mags just can't leagly own the mags??), theres 2 FID cards one for long guns only 10 round mags only and then theres one to buy Pepper Spray or Mace!!
I have the Large Cap permit. Now the local Police Dept can put restrictions on any of these permits and restrict the use of them I.E. put a restriction on my permit and say its only good for Target and Hunting! This was what my last permit was for, the last Police Chief was Anti Gun for "Normal People", the new Chief is authorizing what they call "All Lawful" "No restrictions" this translates into a CCW Permit. Did you guys follow all this?? Oh yeah I have to renew every 5 years at a cost of $100!!
Now don't get me started on the guns that arnt available here cause they don't pass the states safty standards!! Welcome to the Commie Wealth of Massachusettes!!!

starmac
10-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Fricken unreal. I bet even the leo get all them permits mixed up. Can you own wasp spray without a permit there.

Blacksmith
10-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Gliden07

What happens if you have a permit for large capacity and a new "sheriff" is elected and he will only approve small capacity magazines?

You might be interested in the Woollard case, working its way to the Supreme Court.

http://marylandshallissue.org/2012/03/woollard-case-action-center/

Here are some important excerpts from the opinion: (Original court finding in Woollard case)

"Because the ―good and substantial reason requirement is not reasonably adapted to a substantial government interest, the Court finds this portion of the Maryland law to be unconstitutional. Woollard is entitled to summary judgment. "

"A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered ―reasonably adapted‖ to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be. Maryland‘s goal of ―minimizing the proliferation of handguns among those who do not have a demonstrated need for them,‖ id. at 40, is not a permissible method of preventing crime or ensuring public safety; it burdens the right too broadly. "

"At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government‘s to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."

cajun shooter
10-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Louisiana requires a first class that contains 12 hours of classroom and 150 rounds on the range. The classroom is $125 and the paperwork for the Louisiana State Police is another $125 for a total of $250. The permit is good for 5 years, at which time you have to attend a refresher course and pay the state their fees again.

Jeff82
10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow, by comparison Wisconsin is starting to look downright CCW friendly!

fishhawk
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Well it is now that DUH-oil is gone

41 mag fan
10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Actually Indiana looks better than all...I paid $135.00 for my personal protection permit, that was for the lifetime license. One time fee for my lifetime as long as I don't commit any felonies, then they can yank it.

Gliden07
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Gliden07

What happens if you have a permit for large capacity and a new "sheriff" is elected and he will only approve small capacity magazines?

You might be interested in the Woollard case, working its way to the Supreme Court.

http://marylandshallissue.org/2012/03/woollard-case-action-center/

Here are some important excerpts from the opinion: (Original court finding in Woollard case)

They would have to issue me the Large Capacity permit but they would add restrictions to it for use like "Target Shooting only" that way if they caught me carrying concealed they could run me up the flag pole!! Lots of "GREY AREAS" in the laws here that are open to interpitation.

There are a couple of orginazations here fighting the good fight for Mass gun owners, Comm2A and GOAL (Gun Owners Action League). They probably know more about Mass Gun Laws than the politicians that voted on them!!

starmac
10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
What good is a ccw permit to target shoot only.
Can't you target shoot without any permit.

Gliden07
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
What good is a ccw permit to target shoot only.
Can't you target shoot without any permit.

You can't do anything in this State without a permit!! And really it has nothing to do with right and wrong it has everything to do with money!!

archmaker
10-27-2012, 09:05 AM
If you sight picture at the range is a silohette target, then aren't you target shooting when you do it on the street. :-D (joshing)

Gliden07
10-27-2012, 07:49 PM
If you sight picture at the range is a silohette target, then aren't you target shooting when you do it on the street. :-D (joshing)

LOL!! Funny thing is they wernt letting us shoot silloutte targets here either!! I think they may have repealed that though because the local Walmart is carrying them again?? Gotta make a call!!