PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

rjathon
10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
I've been enjoying casting and getting good accuracy, so I shoot lead bullets. Deer season is fast approaching and as luck would have it the rifle that I need to do well with cast is doing poorly. So...heaven forbid I had to resort to trying jacketed options.

Luckily jacketed bullets shoot just fine. Now for the dumb question. Is it bad to test both jacketed and cast willy nilly without cleaning the bore when switching back and forth?

Thanks,

Russ

canyon-ghost
10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Only if the copper fouling attracts lead and you get ironed in lead that becomes a real mess. When it leads up to high heaven, you have A LOT of cleaning to do.

Shoot lead 100% with some guns, Shoot copper 100% with the others. It is just a lot easier than cleaning a gun 4 times in a row before it shoots decent.

Good Luck,
Ron

PS: yep, I really leaded one up that bad!

Wayne Smith
10-22-2012, 10:35 AM
If you are just using a few for hunting, probably not a problem. If you are shooting targets and putting a hundred rounds downrange at once, probably a big problem that Ron experienced.

williamwaco
10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I've been enjoying casting and getting good accuracy, so I shoot lead bullets. Deer season is fast approaching and as luck would have it the rifle that I need to do well with cast is doing poorly. So...heaven forbid I had to resort to trying jacketed options.

Luckily jacketed bullets shoot just fine. Now for the dumb question. Is it bad to test both jacketed and cast willy nilly without cleaning the bore when switching back and forth?

Thanks,

Russ

See this thread;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=168570