PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lube & size kits .432 diameter

jlchucker
10-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Now that Ranchdog is out of business, where can one by one of those Lee sizers for tumble lube boolits, in sizes not stocked as standard by Lee? I'm thinking about trying one of these out, but need a .432 size version. Ranchdog used to offer these. I'm no fan of tumble-lubing, but thought I'd try the process. I should have bought one from Ranchdog when I ordered one of the 240 grain molds that he was selling just before he went out of business. The biggest one that Lee shows on their website is .430. I know one of these could be opened up, but if somebody is already selling them here .432 I'd be interested in knowing price, delivery, availability. Thanks

2wheelDuke
10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
The names will come back after I have some coffee, but there's guys that either make or modify push thru sizers.

I've also honed out a sizer myself with a DeWalt drill, a custom sanding flapwheel, a .410 bore mop, and some polishes. I went slow and checked often, and honed a .358 out to .365 for the 9x18.

theperfessor
10-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Not trying to be a commercial troll here but maybe this might be something for you to consider:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158620

Carolina Cast Bullets
10-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Contact the custom shop at Lee. they will make one for you in the diamter you want for a reasonable price. IIRC, $32.00

kywoodwrkr
10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Not trying to be a commercial troll here but maybe this might be something for you to consider:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158620
Do your self a favor and take a look at this.
Look/search for theperfessor's other ideas and products.
JMHO

Piedmont
10-20-2012, 03:32 PM
It is easy to lap out a .430 or .431". I've done this lots of times, rolling bullets between two glass pieces in lapping compound to embed it in the surface. Then start sizing with your lap bullets and check progress with a micrometer along the way. The Lees cut more quickly than normal lubrisizer dies because the actual sizing portion is not long.

Bjornb
10-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Buckshot makes Lee-style push-thru sizers in the dimensions not sold by Lee. His work is great and his prices are very reasonable. And best of all he's a very pleasant guy to deal with.

Jeffrey
10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Have you slugged your barrel? Do you know you need a .432? I'm having good results with RD 265s sized .430 in a Handi Rifle. He did not have any .432 kits when I ordered my mould. Turns out .430 works just fine. It's easier to make a .430 into a .432 than make a .432 into a .430.

jlchucker
10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I was initially asking the question because after years of casting with a Lyman 450 and alox, I wanted to avoid the mess that comes with trying to lube microgroove boolits that way. Not that the tumble-lube method doesn't work, it's just me being an old dog I guess resistant to new tricks. I think I solved my problem last night. I tried pan-lubing and a Buckshot Cake Cutter. Still messy, but those little grooves filled nicely. For my gascheck boolits, I put the checks on with my Lyman 450 and the gascheck seater that came with it. I never used that little thing but it works. I then lubed the boolits, and sized them through my conventional sizing die, without trying to apply grease. It seems to work pretty well for my 240 grain Ranchdog boolits. Jeffrey, I slug the barrels for every new-to-me levergun and have done so for 30 years. I didn't try to buy a .432 sizer from Ranchdog because I thought I could lube tumble lube boolits conventionally. I already had a .432 sizer I was going to use. Nothing wrong with tumble lubing that I can see, and the pan lubing thing is something that I somehow never did try, but may do it again.