PDA

View Full Version : Lead is over $1 a pound...

imashooter2
06-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Saw this on ARFCOM and thought it appropriate to cross post:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/markcornell/spot-lead-60d-Large.gif

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/markcornell/spot-lead-1y-Large.gif

Some of you guys are sitting on a pretty penny...

jawjaboy
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
:shock: WOW! But I ain't a sellin' none of my stash! Nossir! Keep on hoardin', Keep on hoardin', Keep on hoardin'......... :wink:

twoworms
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Hackleback,

Lets sell all your lead and split the money... :)

Tim

randyrat
06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Yep, thats confirms it. I need to add my lead stash to my WILL & TESTAMONY. Just gotta make sure my bro-in law dosen't scarf it up if i go first.

melw
06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I went to a surplus metal dealer the other day looking for wheel weights. I asked for them and they looked at me like I was form Mars.:roll:
Then they said they had some lead back there. With a wave of the hand at the back of the building. I had a look and all they had was some bags of shot.
I looked for the price and lead was $1.15 a lb. I desided to pass.:(
Mel W.

Goatlips
06-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Hot Dang! I'm a thousandaire! :mrgreen:

Goatlips

USARO4
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Jeez, I've got more money in my stockpile than Ive got in my bank account!

tommag
06-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Casting has doubled my net worth!

Blammer
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I think I'll just squander my wealth by shooting it all up... :D

No_1
06-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I know is seems like a lot of money when we have been used to getting ww's for free but consider this:

I can get lead that is certified and has 3% antimony for .98 per pound. It comes in 50 lb pigs and is clean/ready to go, delivered to the house. I do not run all over town at $3.00 per gallon of gas, hump buckets from places where I would pay $5-$15 per bucket, keep propane tanks full or haul clips/slag off. Most importantly the alloy is KNOWN and consistant.

If the average cast bullet weighs in at around 250 grs the cost is .0357 per. The 405gr cost .057 per and the mid 150's grs. cost on average .0214 per unit! Gosh, that seems resonable compared the J bullets.

just my .02 worth.

Lloyd Smale
06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Who are you buyin it from? Sounds like a fair deal to me too and i might want to pick up some myself.
I know is seems like a lot of money when we have been used to getting ww's for free but consider this:

I can get lead that is certified and has 3% antimony for .98 per pound. It comes in 50 lb pigs and is clean/ready to go, delivered to the house. I do not run all over town at $3.00 per gallon of gas, hump buckets from places where I would pay $5-$15 per bucket, keep propane tanks full or haul clips/slag off. Most importantly the alloy is KNOWN and consistant.

If the average cast bullet weighs in at around 250 grs the cost is .0357 per. The 405gr cost .057 per and the mid 150's grs. cost on average .0214 per unit! Gosh, that seems resonable compared the J bullets.

just my .02 worth.

jawjaboy
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
My most regular ww supplier called today, not once but twice, from 2 different individuals that work there! They have got 2 more buckets for me. I was just there 4 weeks ago picking up! They are wearing me out I tell ya! :mrgreen:

It might take some time, but if you could get your name and phone# stuck up somewhere in thier break area, gab with the working crew a little, take 'em a 12 pak of beer or soda along and along...they will be calling you! No more driving all over town on $3 gas, no more wasted time looking.

ebner glocken
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
If I had to drive all over it might be different. The wheelweights I get free. The tire shop I get them from is on my way home from work. The clips I throw into steel scrap right now is running close to 200/ton. The fact that most of my bullets are all but free...........priceless

Bass Ackward
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Yep. That's why I bought my 20 gauge and the plinker. Much cheaper shooting snakes and chipmunks and poking holes with 125 grains compared to 250. Use the 44s for hunting and shooting full power stuff. Use the 357 for everything else.

Cost is going to become a very REAL factor once this and copper prices filters through the jacketed market. This board will start growing by leaps and bounds.

jawjaboy
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
My most regular ww supplier called today, not once but twice, from 2 different individuals that work there! They have got 2 more buckets for me. I was just there 4 weeks ago picking up! They are wearing me out I tell ya! :mrgreen:

It might take some time, but if you could get your name and phone# stuck up somewhere in thier break area, gab with the working crew a little, take 'em a 12 pak of beer or soda along and along...they will be calling you! No more driving all over town on $3 gas, no more wasted time looking.

Back from town. Went by and picked up the 2 buckets while there. They had put them outside, out of thier way, and naturally they got rained on! In my usual, charming, southern gentlemanly manner, I let them know that **** did'nt need to happen anymore, else the beer might get shut off! :mrgreen:

The ww in the middle is the normal big fat juicy 4 ouncer. The others on either side of it are 12 down to 6 ouncers! I've never seen any bigger. These were some of the ones on top that were not in the standing water in the buckets, but they were blended well all through both buckets.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000218.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000219.jpg

lathesmith
06-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Careful there jawjaboy, kinda flaunting your wealth, eh? You are definitely going to make a lot of us poorer schmucks jealous!

If I was reading the charts correctly, tin is now over $6 a pound. No wonder I have felt compelled to hoard a stash! I understand industrial demand from China is the primary driver of the upward pressure on raw metal prices. If true, I doubt the price will be coming down much anytime soon.
Local sources of either tin or lead seemed to have just about dried up here in the last few years, and once lead wheel weights begin to get phased out I can think of no new scrap sources. I sure as heck ain't gonna start melting batteries! Ideas, anyone?

jawjaboy
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Me wealthy? [smilie=l: Now that's funny lathesmith! Honestly....I look at posted pics as a motivational tool. No bragging intended, too old for that! It took me a while to finally realize, after looking at other folks lead stash, that if they can find it...I can find it!

BOOM BOOM
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
HI,
Just had my oil change & tires rotated.
Picked up about 50lbs for free. customer relations .

lathesmith
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
You're right, jjb, it's out there all right, but it is getting harder to find. I have a potential line on some, but for me the consistent sources have dried up. In other words, kinda hit and miss. I really don't do that much shooting these days, so I don't go through large quantities very fast. A couple hundred pounds will last me for years, usually. I still feel like Sylvester chasing Tweety though: "just one more bird, just one. Then I'll quit. No one will know, no one..." Is there any such thing as having too much lead hanging around? If I get to that place, I guess I'll know it....but I ain't there yet!

jawjaboy
06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
HI,
Just had my oil change & tires rotated.
Picked up about 50lbs for free. customer relations .

That'll do it!