PDA

View Full Version : hunting with non-expanding boolits

milkman
10-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I managed to get 2 does on the opening day of Arkansas' modern gun doe season. This was my first year to use booits hard enough not to expand.

I was using my .35 Whelen, loaded with Lyman #2 clone, water dropped at about 1800 fps. Boolits weighed 285g and have a 70% meplate. Range was 50- 70 yards on both.

Both deer were mature does weighing about 150 lbs before being dragged, and about 300 after 40 to 50 yards. The first doe surprised me by coming from a direction I wasn't expecting and I caught her just before she jumped a fence into a brush tangle. I made a double lung shot, she jumped the fence and ran about 30 yards before falling. I stayed in the stand hoping for another shot and luckily enough another doe came along, with somewhere to go in mind, because she was steadily walking and not stopping. I tried to get fancy and went for a heart shot, but either she stepped up on something or I shot low, either way the boolit went in low behind her right leg and exited in front of the left leg. She ran about 40 yards and did a swan dive off a ravine into a slough filled with mud, stagnant water, cow feces and other rather odorous things. I did not do a very good examination to see what the boolit had hit, but it wasn't her heart.

Both boolits hit some rib bone and both exited. The wound channel on both was a 3/4 inch hole from side to side. Entry and exit appeared to be the same size. There was a good blood trail on the lung shot, but the second deer did not loose a single drop of blood that I could find. She was really fat from eating feed from cattle self-feeders and I think fat and bone splinters plugged both holes. I really don't think the boolit can be faulted. Meat loss on both was minimal.

I have been wondering about how effective a hard, large flat pointed boolit would be. Question answered

Milkman

white eagle
10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
very nice thanks for the report
always good to hear

NSP64
10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Hyper velocity condom wrapped lead is for people who don't know how to hunt. Good job.

x101airborne
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I dont think a 35 Whelen needs to expand. Proper boolit shape and a decent velocity = dead critters. Congrats on the meat haul!

Bullshop
10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Excellent!!! And only 1800 fps. Tell that to the magnuts at the range.
A few years ago now one of my boys shot a 50" moose with the 35Whelen and almost the same boolit as yours accept it is a 65% meplate but about the same weight.
One shot at the base of the neck and he went down so fast we kinda lost sight of him in the tall willows.
When we found him a few minutes later we found he expired so quickly he never kicked.
The ground around him was totaly undisturbed.
Congrats!

bearcove
10-20-2012, 12:26 AM
+1 Love the Whelen

FergusonTO35
10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Good job!! There is a well worn Savage 110 .30'06 in a shop nearby that would make a dandy Whelen...

phonejack
10-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I hunt in the river bottoms above Chidester. I "got" my doe after only 1 hr. on stand. Considering the heat, snakes and mosquitos I decided to call it quits. I'll wait for the nov. hunt to go back. That's good shooting!