PDA

View Full Version : Help with references please

milsurpaddict
10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
What manual would you all recommend for load data and other information specific to cast lead boolit hand-loading

geargnasher
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks, third and fourth editions. RCBS produced a good one. Lyman Reloading Manual #45 is excellent, too, containing lots of data for both cast and jacketed. Lyman 49th is ok, but not all-inclusive.

Gear

cbrick
10-18-2012, 08:26 PM
For me the best of the current standard manuals is the latest Spear book. Next to that I use Sierra's a great deal for reference but I have most of them dating back to the very first Sierrs book.

Rick

milsurpaddict
10-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Thank you all. I will check these out.

shooter93
10-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Rick....what is the number or year of that Speer manual?

runfiverun
10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
lyman number 3.
#4 is in case you happen to find a train car load of xmp-5744 sitting on a siding and the stuff is leaking out.
i use the accurate load book for it's cast data quite often also.

Recluse
10-20-2012, 11:58 PM
For load development with a boolit or caliber I've not messed with and have no previous personal data on, I get a consortium of data from the Lee manual, Lyman cast bullet manual and the powder manufacturer's data (when/where possible).

I then study the beginning load charges. If they all agree to say with in five or ten percent of each other on the low end, I'll start there. If they don't, I start with the lowest charge.

Always start low and work up.

After more than forty years now, I have notebook binders full of handwritten notes from myself and other shooters, my "handloader's logbook" and binders filled with printouts and xeroxed load data and info--plus some CDs and DVDs of data other shooters and I have shared via the old e-mail lists.

I've also found that the Hodgdon's Annual Powder Guide (I think that's what it's called--it comes out every year and is in magazine form) has some very helpful charts regarding powder burning speed--this always helps when you're thinking about comparing powders for any given load.

As long as you start on the low side, you'll never go wrong with the manuals.

:coffee:

cbrick
10-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Rick....what is the number or year of that Speer manual?

Speer #14. April 2007, geez, over 5 years old already. Time fly's when your having fun.

That I am aware of #14 is the latest Speer book.

Rick

10x
10-24-2012, 11:59 PM
The first Lyman manual on cast bullets ( available from Cornell Publications) and the 3rd edition lyman cast bullet manual.
I have the RCBS manual and it has some very good loads, also the 2nd edition Lee manual is good.

My "goto" manual is the lyman 3r edition - for some calibers it is the Cornell reprint.
Much depends on the bullet, caliber, and powder I have available - I look at as many manuals as I can.

JeffinNZ
10-25-2012, 04:19 AM
In terms of data, Lyman's latest hands down.

Wal'
10-25-2012, 05:48 AM
After reading through the stickies here & then buying the 4th Edition Lyman I found the Stickies much more informative. :shock: IMHO

:cbpour:

captaint
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
While it's not exactly a load data book like the manuals, I find Ken Waters Pet Loads indespensible. that's my Go to. enjoy Mike

mdi
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I consider my Lyman Cast Bulletr Handbook 3rd Edition my "lead bible". If you can't find a 3rd then a 4th Edition will do. For load data, you can find most of what you'll need right here at Castpics...

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?t=CastData&z_Cartridge=LIKE&x_Cartridge=44+special&v_Cartridge=AND&w_Cartridge=LIKE&y_Cartridge=&z_BulletWt=%3D&x_BulletWt=&z_Bullet=LIKE&x_Bullet=&v_Bullet=AND&w_Bullet=%3D&y_Bullet=&z_Powder=LIKE&x_Powder=&v_Powder=AND&w_Powder=%3D&y_Powder=&Submit=Search+%28*%29