PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Film Camera

alamogunr
10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
This is quite a bit off topic for the usual posts but I feel sure someone here can offer some advice. I have a Canon EOS 10S that I no longer use. Like most I have gone to digital. This camera has been sitting around for the last 3-4 years. I hate to just chuck it in the trash and I don't want to fool around with Ebay. The lenses I had work with the Canon digital camera I have now so there are no lenses. I also have a high end(at the time) flash that doesn't work.

Can anyone recommend what I should do with it??

Trey45
10-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Have a benefit auction for Ken.

Baja_Traveler
10-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I had a Nikon N90 sitting around for years doing nothing, then one day at my favorite restaurant the waitress mentioned that she was taking a photography class in junior college. They use black & white film, and she needed to find a camera - a few days later she got a camera, lenses, bag and a bunch of Fuji Velvia I still had lying around as a tip.

GLL
10-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Many colleges still teach black/white print photography using 35mmfilm cameras. I donated several nice Pentax Spotmatics to the local school since I also now use digital.

Trey's idea is also good !

Jerry

barrybrice
10-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Donate to a Childrens Home to give to a youth interested in photograph.

7br
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I have come to the conclusion that digital camera's are the equivalent of a machine gun in the photography world. Take enough pictures and surely at least one will make an impression.

darkroommike
10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I'll endorse the suggestion to donate it to a Community College, they'll give you a receipt and you can deduct the donation. If you have a mediocre older zoom like a 28-80 Tamron with the plastic mount stick that on there, too.

JeffinNZ
10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I still like to use my Nikon 35mm. I can't justify a digital SLR and our digital compact, like all of the small models, has the annoying habit of thinking about taking a photo for too long. I like that my 35mm goes 'click' when I press the button. It may be out of focus or not in shot but a least the shutter goes when I want.

wlc
10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
I have come to the conclusion that digital camera's are the equivalent of a machine gun in the photography world. Take enough pictures and surely at least one will make an impression.

I wish there was a "thumbs up" feature on this site. I'd give you two thumbs up for that post.

I have two older film cameras. One is a minolta (80's vintage) the other a 90's Canon. I cannot make myself part with them. I've got a perfectly good digital and all my Canon lenses fit it, but sometimes you just gotta use film. I will not do B&W with the digital. Only film. Something about it is just so much more better with film vs. photoshop/camera settings.

To the OP, if you donate it to a school, whether the local highschool or community college, it'll help introduce or further someones interest in photography.

texassako
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
+1 on seeing if a local school has a film photography class that could use it. I actually just got back in film photography for the B&W and color vacation landscapes. Film still can't be beat for certain things, and it is amazing the quality you can get for pratically nothing if it does not work with digital.

garym1a2
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I would price them before trashing them. The N90's and F1's are still worth good dough.

375RUGER
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
{QUOTE=wlc;1886042]I wish there was a "thumbs up" feature on this site. I'd give you two thumbs up for that post.

QUOTE]
like this?

:goodpost:

and the one on top

Goatwhiskers
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Makes me think, Dad left me a Leica 35mm, don't know the model right off, '60's vintage with a bunch of lenses. Guess I oughta take it to a camera store to get an idea what it's worth and make a decision what to do with it. GW

Trey45
10-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Leica's are very high end cameras. Even in the 60's they were at the top of their game. You very well might have something worth a ton of money.

Just an example:
A typical working model M6 Rangefinder can go for $1500+ without lenses.

casterofboolits
10-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I still have two Nikon F cameras from the 60's I used when I was assigned to Pacific Stars and Stripes. A lot of nostalga connected to them. Took a lot of pics of the current Emperor when he was Crown Prince, Satchmo, Pat Boone, 64 Olympics, etc. They aren't worth anything and haven't used them in years. Just can't bring myself to dispose of them.

Ramar
10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm with Jeff. I love the click and hate the delay.......
Ramar

garym1a2
10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
F1s will still be worth good money and the lens are still worth more.

I still have two Nikon F cameras from the 60's I used when I was assigned to Pacific Stars and Stripes. A lot of nostalga connected to them. Took a lot of pics of the current Emperor when he was Crown Prince, Satchmo, Pat Boone, 64 Olympics, etc. They aren't worth anything and haven't used them in years. Just can't bring myself to dispose of them.

Sasquatch-1
10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
I didn't read all the responses so I don't know if I am repeating but you check your local HIGH school. I know that a couple of my kids to photography in high school.

darkroommike
10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Cameras, I actually buy and sell cameras at Camera Shows (which are a lot like Gun Shows). Cameras that have held value pretty well include metal body Nikons (F, F2, F3, F4, FM, FE), metal body Pentaxes including everyone's favorite the K1000 but also the MX and Leicas. Leicas are hand assembled and fondled much more than they are used, the IIIf and IIIG are the only late model screw mount Leicas with a lot of value, WW2 models with real Nazi markings are worth a bit (and are faked a lot, just like guns) and also Contax models can have some value. The plastic body cameras and the automatic exposure only models do not have much value, neither do cameras from some other makers.

alamogunr
10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the good advice. Without a lens, I don't know how much value the 10S body has. I'll try the nearby junior college and see if they are interested.

Mike, I have a friend that was a big camera enthusiast. He even did some professional work in the past. Since digital came along, I don't know if he is still as interested as in the past. His big interests were Nikon's and Leica's. His name is Mike also.

TCFAN
10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Old cameras and gear can be sold on line. To get a quote go here. http://www.keh.com/SellYourGear/sellyourgear-1.aspx

I used to collect old film cameras. I have always used Nikons Mainly the old F models.Still have a couple.Giving old photography stuff to schools that have a need for film gear is a good way to put the old stuff back to good use.When I lost interest in photography I had a completely equipped darkroom both black and white as well as color. The local high school had a darkroom but could not afford the equipment so that is how I got rid of my darkroom stuff. Took two pickup loads to get it all up there.Told them to do what they wanted with it.They now teach photography in there art class.........Terry

10x
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I have a Canon ftb and two spotmatics- not to mention a royal ransom in lenses that no one wants now. THere is a real magic in making a negative, and a print from a negative. I hope to introduce my grandsons to "ye old S.L.R." and tri -x film in the near future.
I have done this on and off for 40 years and the magic of light on film and light on paper in a darkroom never goes away.

Baja_Traveler
10-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Yep - I do believe film photography will never go away, and even though I gave away my N90s I kept my F3 hp and my dads European Exacta's. I'd really love to get those Exactas in working order - ones a pre-war 1936 and the other a 1959 Varex IIa.

darkroommike
10-20-2012, 08:44 AM
To sell cameras another resource is KEH.com they will give you a fair price, online.

For camera repair I use Essex Camera in New Jersey or Photography on Bald Mountain in California.

http://www.essexcamera.com/

http://www.baldmtn.com/AINFOSHT2.htm

Finster101
10-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Went to the sell your gear site. I have a Canon A-1 from the early 80s. Did not see it listed, only AE models. The A model was much more versatile than the AE. I also did quite a bit of photography then, lots of b&w as I was working for my unit newspaper. For color I loved Kodachrome, developed it myself and made prints on Cibachrome. (sp)