PDA

View Full Version : new to casting

justing
10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
i am relatively new to reloading and just starting to get in to casting (just starting to stock up on lead) and was hoping some one here has any ideas on what my next steps should be , ie what kind of furnes, molds sizing if any. thanks in advance for all the help ps i will be casting for .45 auto-rim .45 colt .45 acp 38 spl and 7.7 arisaka.

connecticut-yankee
10-18-2012, 11:19 AM
PM to follow

Trey45
10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the forum.

We have about 200 stickies here, read them. They have all the info you could hope for.
Furnace's are a personal preference. The same with lube sizers and dies. Some folks love Lee and use nothing but. Others like RCBS or Lyman.
Enjoy yourself, there's a lot of good info already written down in the stickies.

Ola
10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
7.7 arisaka.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158805
Read it twice.

mdi
10-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Personally, I believe there is a bit of "over diligence" when it comes to bullet casting safety. Use common sense and think and you will have no problems and not expose your self to "toxic" fumes. I like Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for a beginners text, if you can get the 3rd Edition, great, but the 4th Edition will do (IMO too many articles about black powder cartridge shooting with cast bullets). Read the stickies, don't put your face over the melting pot when you flux, don't chew on any newly cast bullets or pick up any hot ones, and you'll be ok...

justing
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
thanks just got myself a lee Lee Production Pot IV lead bullet casting furnace, for the price i couldn't find a better one at 63$ not a bad deal so now i am on to molds any thing to look for in a mold and yes i am looking at the stickies thanks.

justing
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Personally, I believe there is a bit of "over diligence" when it comes to bullet casting safety. Use common sense and think and you will have no problems and not expose your self to "toxic" fumes. I like Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for a beginners text, if you can get the 3rd Edition, great, but the 4th Edition will do (IMO too many articles about black powder cartridge shooting with cast bullets). Read the stickies, don't put your face over the melting pot when you flux, don't chew on any newly cast bullets or pick up any hot ones, and you'll be ok...

so don't stand over the pot and don't chew on the lead you my friend just took all of the fun out of casting, but seriously, would a face mask and respirator be prudent or is it still in the realm of common sense that rules the day? thanks

HangFireW8
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
justing,

IMHO Safety glasses are a must, I wear a face shield only when "smelting" because of the large quantities involved, a lot of heat in a lot of mass means a lot of potential energy to be released should moisture get involved.

Smelting must be done outdoors. If you cast in a good location with ventilation, a respirator should not be necessary. You'll make smoke when you flux the pot, so you need a place for that smoke to go.

Welcome to the madness. I started just a few years ago and can't stop.

HF

OnHoPr
10-19-2012, 09:27 AM
DON'T DROP SWEAT OR ANY LIQUID INTO THE HOT POT and do a lot of reading.

btroj
10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Single most important piece of safety gear resides between your ears!

Think!

I always wear glasses when handling molten lead. I always wear long pants and boots when smelting.

I do not wear a respirator, apron, or gloves. I don't eat wile dealing with lead in any form.

Don't put cold or wet lead into molten lead, ever.

Don't smelt in the rain.

Use common sense and you will stay put of trouble. Do something stupid and you will be taught a lesson in a very rude and sudden manner.

45-70 Chevroner
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Don't sweat the sweat on top of the melt, it is only a problem when the moisture gets under the surface, but your face should never be over the pot anyways. As for safety, always wear a long sleve shirt and long pants do not wear shorts. Wear shoes and socks, sounds funny but slip on shoes with no socks or flip flops do not protect the feet, believe me it can happen. Wear leather gloves, the mold handles will get hot. Wear a face shield or safety glasses, "can you still get burnt with all these precautions Yes" nothing is fool proof. Have good ventilation (I use a fan behind me to blow the smoke and fumes away, (I personally don't cast in an enclosed area) there is no reason for a breathing apparatus with good ventilation. I do all my casting outdoors or just inside the garage with the garage door open. Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling lead and always before eating. Use good common sence and have fun.
I have been casting my own boolits for over 40 years, and that does not make me an expert, but I have learned to use caution.

(btroj) mentioned that he does not wear gloves, I do not agree with that at all, you are handling someting that will take the meat and skin off before you can even think about it. He also said to not add cold lead to the molten lead, I don't agree with that either, do not drop a lead ingot into the moltin lead but you can add it to the moltin lead with caution, I do it all the time, and have been for 40 years. !!!! DO NOT PUT WET LEAD IN THE POT !!!!

btroj
10-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I can guarantee that adding a 30 degree ingot to a pot of molten lead will be an issue. Condensation under the surface is a big problem, ask how I know.

As for gloves, I am not handling the molten lead with my hands! I use a ladle with a long handle to pour my ingots. I pick up ingot moulds with vise grips. Been doing this for almost 30 years, no serious burns.

Like I said, use your brain!

mdi
10-19-2012, 12:23 PM
so don't stand over the pot and don't chew on the lead you my friend just took all of the fun out of casting, but seriously, would a face mask and respirator be prudent or is it still in the realm of common sense that rules the day? thanks
IMO only; A resperator is overkill. For dangerous lead fumes to be present, the lead must be heated above normal casting temperatures, I believe 900+ degrees. There are fellows here that dress up like the're going to dip lava from an active volcano (face mask, leather apron, welder's gloves, leather/fireproof pants, drip-proof boots, along with full area ventilation). I have been a mechanic/electrician/machinist (done machining, welding, soldering, and some bearing casting) all my life and from experience believe casting lead bullets is as safe as crossing the street (in Los Angeles, casting is not as dangerous). I have read of only one bullet caster being affected by lead; that was a semi-professional caster whse lead levels were very high after casting bullets for 35 years. I don't have facts on this one but I read it either here or on another casting forum.

My personal safety practices are; safety glasses, I have Rx safety glasses so I wear them every casting session. I do not like gloves of any type, having worked with my hands all my life I like the sensitivity of bare skin (plus 25+ years as a HD mechanic have toughened my hands a bit), and keep aware of what's hot. I wear long sleeves (mebbe 'cause I live in cool coastal Oregon, but I wear sleeves when casting). Levis and full shoes or boots. And wash up, hands and face, when done.

General equipment/environment safety; I keep a serving tray, about 18"x24", under my pot to contain any spills. I keep an ingot mold or metal pan to catch lead if the spout sticks open for some reason. I keep a spray bottle handy to squirt burned fingers or cool molds (read the sticky about lead and water). I have a 6" fan about 6' away from the casting area aimed to blow air over the casting area from the side and the door and window of my casting room are open a few inches to create an air flow.

But most important is common sense. Everything you're working with is hot. Molten lead melts some stuff and burns other stuff. Think about what you're doing and everything will go safely. You will get burned, but take normal precautions and the burns will just be a leaning experience...

Jes an old guys .02 8-)

Moonman
10-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Read-Read-Read, and then Read some more.

Read the many Cast Boolits Stickies.

Especially the "FROM INGOT TO TARGET ARTICLE".

That article has a PERMISSION on the first page for you to

COPY it as a personal copy only, this GREAT COPYWRITED piece.

Get the ABC's of reloading book, READ.

Get the LYMAN book on Casting, READ.

YouTube videos on casting exist, some are a lot better than others.

While you read, you can start gathering your SAFETY EQUIPMENT.

Glasses, Full Face Shields, Hats, COTTON not Synthetic material shirts

Long Sleeve too, you can add cotton undershirts as well,

Welders LEATHER Apron, Welders Gloves or good heat resistant gloves anyway,

Boots (not a laced up versions), Accidents happen and LACES MELT.

Levi's, NOT SHORTS, I don't care how hot the weather gets.

Molten Metal is DANGEROUS, SCARS and BURNS from it are not NEAT, MANLY, or COMFORTABLE,

despite some of our members who POO-POO a lot of safety equipment.

Some of our members can show you photos of their NEAR BRUSHES WITH TRAGEDY, SOME THE RESULTING SCARS!!!!!

Severe Burns, Blindness, Crippling Scar Tissue Injuries can and do happen in just an instant.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, CARELESSNESS OCCURS, BEWARE!!!!!

Good Casting, this is a wonderful hobby, BUT IT IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ONE!

BE SAFE ALWAYS!!!:lovebooli

45-70 Chevroner
10-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I can guarantee that adding a 30 degree ingot to a pot of molten lead will be an issue. Condensation under the surface is a big problem, ask how I know.

As for gloves, I am not handling the molten lead with my hands! I use a ladle with a long handle to pour my ingots. I pick up ingot moulds with vise grips. Been doing this for almost 30 years, no serious burns.

Like I said, use your brain!

My lead is stored in my garage, it is never below freezing. My garage is free standing and not heated. The temp. never gets below about 40 degrees. I have never tried adding frozen lead. The winter night time lows in my area can get to minus 20 degrees, but rarely stays freezing all day long. I should have parafrazed that if you add room temperature lead (not freezing) to the pot you will have to get it back to molding temp and that is some where between 650 degrees to 800 degrees, depending on your own preference.

45-70 Chevroner
10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
mdi !!! very good post. I wore gloves all of my working life so I naturally put on gloves when handle any thing rough or hot. One thing though, lead vaporazation occures at some where around 3000 plus degrees. My electric lead pot and when using propane or natural gas will not heat lead much beyond 1000 degrees. I have cast boolits at that temp. a number of times and have had good results. In my experience that temp works best for 22 caliber boolits because the small amount of lead has a hard time keeping the mold hot enough to cast good boolits.

runfiverun
10-21-2012, 01:58 AM
as you see there are many opinions on what's right/wrong.
same thing you'll see throughout the threads here also.
none of the answers are really wrong it's just what worked for the particular typer in his gun with his mold.
you really have to just do it to learn.
and yep you are gonna get a burn somewhere,thinking ahead will minimize them.

justing
10-22-2012, 09:56 PM
thanks for all the info i went and got myself a face mask and some welding gloves as well as a respirator (i might not use it but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it) but i hope to start casting tomorrow hopefully i will go at least a day with out burning myself.

justing
10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
so i did my first cast today used the face mask and the gloves had good ventilation so no need for the respirator but all in all the first casting went well lost maybe 30% of what i cast they went back in the pot .

Echo
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Welding gloves aren't necessary - I use cheap leather gloves from Costco. They give much better control and 'feel' than bulky welders gloves.
And I don't wear a face mask - I wear glasses, and that is protection enough, for me. I try not to splash or slosh the melt...

Arkansas Paul
10-25-2012, 02:39 PM
i hope to start casting tomorrow hopefully i will go at least a day with out burning myself.

Don't count on it. :)
I've only been at it for about 2 years now, and I burn myself most sessions. It's never anything serious though. Just little stuff. I do things most wouldn't, like casting in shorts, sandals and short sleeve shirts with no gloves.
The one thing I am picky about though is safety glasses. Wear those if nothing else. You've only got 2 eyes. Don't screw one of them up.

dnmccoy
10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Pick up the latest Lyman casting manual, I did and it is helping me trmendously

Ola
10-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Welding gloves aren't necessary - I use cheap leather gloves from Costco. Well, that depends.. Welding gloves are necessary if you open the sprue plate with your hand. Can't do it with common leather gloves. And if something goes wrong the welders gloves are designed to protect from the heat.

elkhuntfever
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Have seen the results of moisture to molten metal on a grand sale ( foundry electric melt). Unfortunately the fellow didn't make it away in time. The resulting wave of molten metal engulfed him.

justing
03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Pick up the latest Lyman casting manual, I did and it is helping me trmendously
i got lee's modern reloading and it helped as well,.