PDA

View Full Version : Need a load...new to loading..etc

StarMetal
07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok fellows....we've been getting this alot, I'm sure most of you have noticed and it seems to be repeditive on specific calibers and guns even. Example: the 03 Springfield. I can see how Jumptrap gets aggravated by these same questions over and over. So...here's an idea...why not start a section (and I don't mean a new thread title) but a section on specific caliber reloading. Throw all our knowledge into each caliber. We all have had good results with certain bullets and powders in the 03 Springfield. So make up a reloading section not just 30-06, but more specific the 03 Springfield. Then the 6.5 Swede, the 303 British, etc.

Then another area that we need to address is the heavy bullets in the 45 acp. We just did this not long ago...Anthony, me, BD, etc. Now we have a poster this week asking about shooting 255 grainers in a 45acp. We've become like the gunrags...they keep repeating articles throughout the year. Hey, now we know why. I think they do it because there are new people who subscribe...just like here. We get new people that missed what they were looking for and frankly it's quite hard to go throught this whole forum searching even with the search engine. So if we comprise something and Mr. John Doe comes on and asks: "Hey I just picked up a nice 03 Springfield with two groove barrel, what's a good bullet for it and load?", we can point him right to the special reloading sticky.

Joe

jh45gun
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Sounds good to have every thing in one area for specific calibers but did you ever consider that even though a newby could look back in the archives he may use that question to test the waters and get aquainted?

StarMetal
07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes I have first welcome him, then point him back to the area to try some of the loads and then report back. Not making a whole new rehash of it on the thread the newbie started.

Joe

wills
07-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds good to have every thing in one area for specific calibers but did you ever consider that even though a newby could look back in the archives he may use that question to test the waters and get aquainted?
True.

Sometimes however, we become rambunctious and the newcomer is (or perceives himself to be) forgotten, dismissed or insulted, particularly when the topic drifts to dogs, mules, goats (or sheep).

NVcurmudgeon
07-19-2005, 06:28 PM
What is vital to continue to keep this board alive and healthy is that new members keep coming in. If they are in the "wrong" place, they will soon enough learn their way around IF THEY ARE MADE TO FEEL WELCOME. I would hate to see this board become one of those that we have all visited where new members are treated like the scum of the earth for having the temerity to tread upon the toes of the reigning guru. I, for one, will cheerfully recommend proven, favorite loads or moulds to a different new guy every day. (16.0 gr. 2400, 7.0 gr. Green Dot, Lymaz ingot mould, etc. new audiences always welcome.) The component makers have sites for the shooter who wants to just get a load and be gone. what we have to offer is a more free-wheeling forum that is sometimes a little flaky, but often educational, and most always FUN!

Bigscot
07-19-2005, 07:19 PM
I posed a similar idea a while back. Kind of a repository of all the various and repeated questions, moulds, loads, etc that come with starting to cast or wanting to try something new. From the responses I got the idea was not too popular.

Bigscot

StarMetal
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Bill

Well Bill wonder if we had a very well composed reloading section that wasn't like a reloading book with different recipes per caliber, BUT was rifle specific? So then some new Joe Blow comes to the site and asks about a good cast bullet and load for an 03 Sprindfield that got a new two groove barrel on it and we welcome him aboard that point him to the right section, and then do all the friendly ********ting and stuff. Then he's going to tell his buddies, "Boy, those old boys over there at Cast Boolits really got their **** together and they even got a loading section set up specific to not only caliber, but RIFLE and BARREL!".

Joe

waksupi
07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
However, trying to get it all where you want it with this bunch, would be like herding ferrets. There are a lot of different firearms discussed on individual threads, not real closely related to each other. I don't know how they would ever be sorted efficiently.

StarMetal
07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Well I just explained it...some of it...03's two groove barrels, 03's four groove barrels, 303's I think those are mostly five groove barrel..and insert for tight bores and fat bores, the 7.65 Argentine-same fat and tight bores, 8mm Mauser-specific to manufacturer and new unissues Yugo 48's separate, 30-40 Krags-fat and tight bores, 7x57 Mauser-ditto 8mm's, 7.7 Jap-fat and tight bores, 6.5 Swede-most those bores are close, ditto the rest of the milsurps, 30 caliber Marlin micro-groove-ditto Marlin's other calibers with micro-groove. You get the idea. We all have good shooting specific bullets in alot of calibers and guns. When we test out a new load that isn't in the section, we edit it in the correct section. It would be something never comprised before. Lyman claims that they have it that way, but you read some of their reloading pages and it says "test barrel".

Joe

David R
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I am new to this board a few months ago. I like it here. You folks did help me get my 22-250 shooting cast boolits into an inch @ 100 AND at about 2400 to 2600 fps.

"Boy, those old boys over there at Cast Boolits really got their **** together"

I agree.

buck1
07-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I search around a bit , But sometimes I am not satisfied with the old answers. So I re ask and more often than not you guys come through, and save the day!
How about ...
"A short time ago we had a great thread on that! Do a search on _________, and if you have any more questions ask away!!"

But I do think star has a good Idea! After all we are now @gunloads.com, are we not!!
Just my $.02 worth. ....Buck

ammohead
07-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Am I missing something or isn't there a "Reloaders Guide" at the top of the page? And didn't someone do something similar on castpics long ago?

I am in the camp that says "let the new guys ask the same questions again. If you are tired of the same old questions...don't reply this time. I can remember many times reading a newfie question and sort of would have liked to reply but all the gurus had already covered the subject quite nicely and there really wasn't a need for a medium level castnut to add. I am sure that there are more out there who feel the same way and would welcome their turn to welcome the new guys.

Perhaps a new thread catagory called Get Yer Feet Wet. That way those not wanting to read the same old questions can avoid the topic, and those who delight in being the greeter will have a place to go. As well as the newfie/lurker who may be a bit timid about jumping right into the fray for a first post.

Heck I am a bit embarrassed to see 15 posts next to my handle, and I have been hangin' with y'all since 1999. Having a topic that consists of mostly single and double digit posters may welcome alot more to get in the pool. After all, the waters fine!

ammohead

crazy mark
07-20-2005, 12:46 AM
I think the first order of business is to make the newbie's welcome. We can then help them find the right thread. I for one feel bad for the people who may ask a question and somebody tells them to buy a book or find such and such thread. I feel it is better to lead them along until they get a little comfortable. Tell them what the Lyman or RCBS book will tell them or help them head in the right direction with a load. After all we all had to start somewhere and if the internet had been available when I started casting I might have had a faster learning curve. Even though we all think we may be experts we all can learn if we just listen. I wouldn't want to see us discourage any new caster. Mark

45nut
07-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Sure is nice to see that handle active Ammohead.

All of you have made some very good points.
Yes,,we are at gunloads.com.

I couldn't think of a better host in the entire WWW to be affiliated with either. Our host is quite interested in us being happy and well fed with bandwidth. And service has been outstanding,stable and rapid response has been noted time and time again.

Yes,we have a Reloaders Guide ,that could certainly be utilized for the better and I encourage all to post their "favorites" there for quick reference. I am sure Willy would be quite willing to add anything that may be of help in fine tuning that as well.

Getting your feet wet,,,That sounds very welcoming and we shall endeavor to make the changes needed.

Folks here do have certain Pet Guns/Calibers/Cartridges. I can think of BobS as a -06 guru and BruceB as the 416 guy as well as Dep Al as the man to ask about the 9.3
And I can always count on Curmudgeon to be the point man for the Walking Wheel Weight Tours of Cal and NV. I happened upon a few WW's on a walk I took saturday morning that I most certainly would have driven by another 5 thousand times easily.
We are individuals and yet we are more. Standing alone we are but a single voice,Together we can make the guns sing tunes with CB's that would put the industry on it's ears.

Vital to us all is that the Siren Song of the Silver Stream is strong,I am approached eagerly when I talk of this board and what we have done.
We have barely touched the surface of potentional members and yet we recieve a steady increase from across the globe. Imagine Australia,Finland and beyond the shores,sea to shining sea.

Jumptrap also bears mention as his points were valid.

My gun/Your Gun.

Although the cartridge may seem familiar the fact remains that every last piece of steel and every cast boolit is as individual as Starmetal and Carpetman.
My 50 Alaskan pistol has a chamber that was EDM cut,made to fit MY brass,sized in MY dies. Most 50 Alaskan's out there were cut by a reamer made to SAMMI specs which are generous in specification. MY pistol needs less powder to generate more velocity than one with a loose chamber.

The old "your mileage may vary" tune carries well here.
This has been printed in every manual I have ever read. I read it over and over also that each gun should be checked by a gunsmith,yet often enough I buy a gun and shoot it and never give a thought as to safety. I may be lucky a few thousand times over,but I really dont enjoy sending guns away. I am a free man choosing to fire away,I don't like seatbelts either.[smilie=b: Yeah,,I know. I have heard all about it,but I see those laws as more revenue based than in my best interest. Let my mother rag on me,I don't need the govt. doing it.

Great thread,I think we can make some headway here.

NVcurmudgeon
07-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Ammohead/Bruce, I guess wishing can make it so. Yesterday, somebody asked about moulds for .338 cal. I mentioned your name as a knowledgeable .338 man, and here you are! Please check out the thread, I think the name is "Where are the .338 moulds?" Thanks, Bill

Oldfeller
07-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Your thought about the list membership growing exponentially bears a think or two.

Starmetal's comment might be rephrased as "we are downing in new people". I can copy that thought as a post made a hour or so ago is washed off to screen #3 of the Today listing (and that is with me having opened up my list to accept the max 40 posts per Today screen).

Buckshot has to make more and more posts "explaining" folks like me and Ray all the time now to some new person or another -- although being an "odd uncle" isn't exactly what I would have had in mind as a discriptor -- I do understand why he has to do it.

This list is so huge now that the old Shooters folks are just like paprika on top of the stew, just floating along on top to lend a bit of color.

And my comments on Jumps "the Hole" thread about it is good to see the old crew all post on one (1) topic is true -- it's damn rare to see that any more.

Heck, you can't read all this stuff anymore -- t'aint enough time in the evenings. If you had duty as "newbie greeter" you couldn't say howdy to all of them as they show up there are so many of them nowadays.

Endless expansion is great -- but some of our best development work took place when Shooters was dying and it wouldn't let new folks log in to post -- they could read but they couldn't type. Now that sounds bad (and I appologise for saying it) but it limited the conversation to the point it was a conversation instead of "being washed away" in the flow of lots and lots and lots of stuff (mostly newbie stuff going back to Joe's point).

I realize this list is a common domain and new folks outnumber older members by 5000 to one, but the point is still valid -- conversation is dead on the Today function because of toooooo much traffic. Threads still work, but the effort to find your kindred talking in that one special spot is getting to be difficult. We'sa getting too huge ....

ameanoldcrankysacreliousOldfeller

StarMetal
07-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Exactly Oldfeller. The Today column moves to fast. Sometimes to find what results I got to a post I just click my name and bring up all my post..easier that way and it shouldn't have to be that way. Maybe if the newbies want to chat and be welcome at home here, then the Chat might be the place to do it. Probably most just read the Today column anymore and like Oldfeller says you will spend alot of time doing that. The thing about a main title Thread for a selection of a good cast bullet style and load for (again for example) say the 03 Springfield is probably in there, but buried, where in what I'm suggesting is having an area dedicated to it, which wouldn't take long to find what you're looking for. You know, kinda like a dictionary..you know a word starts with dis..so you go to the D's, speed ahead to di, then dis and look for your word. Well this area would be like that kinda in process. Let's see, hmmmm, I need a load and good proven workabel bullet for the 03 Springfied, so lets see here, hmm, Krags, Mosins, Mausers, aah Sprinfield 03, great.

But alot of guys voiced negatives about it because they are probably too damn lazy to help design it. They'd rather think that they'll be on each time a newbie pops up with a bullet/load question and they can just tell them about it. So know what...phooey on yall. I don't care if it happens or not now.

Joe

Buckshot
07-20-2005, 04:25 AM
".............But alot of guys voiced negatives about it because they are probably too damn lazy to help design it. They'd rather think that they'll be on each time a newbie pops up with a bullet/load question and they can just tell them about it. So know what...phooey on yall. I don't care if it happens or not now."

...........Ole tactfull Joe. That might have been a bit nicer with a :D on the end, ya think? There is such a thing, but for surplus powders on Castpics. No other collected surplus data around I'm aware of.

Sure reloading reference material is great, and they sell a lot of it. It's called reloading manuals. There's not very much comparatively for cast, but some. Even so I recall on the old Shooters board, and any other current BB you care to visit, whether rifle, pistol shotgun or muzzle loading you will have people ask for a 'Good Load'. And that with TONS of reloading manuals out there. Not to mention Bullet manufacturer and powder manufacturer websites with load data, instantaneously available.

How about rifles? Go to Gunboards.Com on the Mauser forum for example. They have FAQ's, and if a new person bought a Turkish Mauser from someplace and typed in "Turkish Mauser" in the search function, don't you know they'd get a weeks worth of reading? Yet there are still those questions, "Hey guys. I just got this Turk Mauser from XXXX, and would like to know something about it". And there are people there who will answer the question.

Got to 'The Home Shop Machinist' or 'The Practical Machinist' BB's and ask a question like, "I'm thinking of getting a mill-drill, or a 3 in 1 machine, or a 9" South Bend lathe". Think they haven't been asked before :-) ? How about a simple operation like single point threading? There are tons of material available from numerous sources on how to do that. Yet the question comes up a few times a week.

I believe that people what to hear it from someBODY.

New guy: "Anyone have a favorite load for a 30-06"?
Answer: "Check the load data. If you have any more questions, check back".
End of thread.

New guy: "I just got some casting stuff and have a few questions."
Answer: Buy the Lyman manual. If you have any other questions, check back"
End of thread.

I am not saying that having cast bullet load data by caliber, posted someplace here is bad. Not by a longshot. I'm a little concerned about shuffling new members off to a list of loads. A list of loads is valuable, but it's a bit cold. It can sit there as an asset, but I would for sure answer a new members question, if asked.

Oldfeller mentioned that last few months of Shooter's, and how it was just us "Old Guys" blabbing to each other. Easier to follow threads and such. Sure, but if you will also recall (to use the word) it WAS dying. Post numbers were down and continuing to drop. I went there because friends of mine were there. To use a phase, "If a church isn't growing, it's dying" is true.

So far as me or any other moderator or board member here having to explain about "Odd Uncles" is NOT the new guy's problem, but the "Odd Uncle's" problem. The new guy hasn't read umpity bazillion posts to know where they're coming from, or how to take a particular phrase or answer. Remember you cannot see facial cues, body language, and intonation. All we have are smiley faces. Give the new people a break.

Every new member to this board, regardless of their experience and questions is to me a valuable asset. If someone wants to accept and colate cast boolit load data, and get it put up as reference material I'll be glad to submit data.

However, I will also continue to answer new member's questions here on the board, and hopefully in the manner that they were expecting, if I have the information. Personally I feel I owe them that.

..............Buckshot

357tex
07-20-2005, 08:15 AM
As a new member I don't want to be a burden to any of you.I come here and read at least twice a day just to learn.Odd uncles sometimes have lots of wisdom,sometimes not.My self I can work up my own loads,some good most not .But thats the fun of cast shooting.What I enjoy and need is the experience of guys who know little things to help make my casting and shooting more fun .I learn a lot just following along.But if I am not wanted here I lived a long time befor I ever got this computer.Casting and shooting mostly by my self,making lots of mistakes.Picking up bits of wisdom here and there,then I got this computer in march and found this place. To know that there are others who enjoy the same things that I do and know so much more than I ever dreamed of is a real treat.So I will try not to burden you all with questions.
Thank you buckshot for making us new guys welcome.

waksupi
07-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Heck, Joe, if you have the time, go ahead and do it yourself. Do the search on each topic, edit it in word, and make a new separate post. Nothing stopping you.

I like the new guys coming in, as we do learn from them. And some turn out to be absolute hoots!

grumble
07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
357tex: "...So I will try not to burden you all with questions..."

That's EXACTLY the sort of thing we want to avoid. We're a pretty cantankerous bunch and we seldom all agree on anything. Don't be put off by a couple grouchy posts! We're all here because we enjoy the forum and the lively conversation.

NVcurmudgeon
07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I NEVER use "Today." I am afraid that I'll miss something! It is very convenient for me to go to many boards, see if there is anything new on the threads of interest to me, or a new thread of interest, and read or not read accordingly. Like anybody else, some boards are seldom or never visited by me. For instance, I hate to cook and have almost zero interest in muzzle loaders, so I am unlikely to be found on "Frontstuffers" or "Game Recipes." I guess I spend up to 90 minutes a day here and believe that I am thoroughly covering everything I want to. Not being able to keep up, might indeed make me think I am "drowning in new people." As it is, my head remains safely above water and I look forward to reading all your posts, both old Shooter's veterans and newbies. Apologies for all the first person singular pronouns in this post but this is a very subjective subject.

BABore
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
While I'm a newer member here and certainly new to casting, I'm not unfamiliar with shooting forums. Every one is designed a little different. I just posted a question under the Cast Boolits header on a load for the 30-30 using 2400 powder. Is this the right place, probably not. But where is the right place? The Reloaders Guide! How many of you long time members visit that area? There hasn't been a post there in over a month. There are very few posts there period. I agree that things should be archived there for reference, but not new posts.

Before posting my question, I did a full search at MarlinOwners, Beartooth, and finally here. I found an old post here that mentions 2400 powder, but no specifics. So, where to post a reloading question where you can expect an answer in a reasonable time frame?

Being new to casting I followed the normal progression, reading up on equipment, molds, and techniques. Every step of the way I've either solved my own problem through information read here, or posted an occasional stupid question. I've always tried to search first. Well now I got my technique pretty well down, so whats the next big hurdle. Gettin them Boolits to shoot.

The first stop is my manuals. I have six fairly current manuals including the Lyman cast book. The only reference to Hercules 2400 is in the Lyman book for a 115 gr boolit, not my 311041. Checked out gmdr.com, all low velocity stuff.

IMHO this is a great site. What would make it better is a dedicated reloading section. Right up front with the others, not tucked away and seldom visited. As a new caster, I'm following a fairly logical progression. Equipment, molds, techiniques, now reloading and shooting.

Trying to not be a PITA.

felix
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
OK, BAB, I'll give you a starting load at the lower end. Use 16 grains 2400 with your 180 grainer boolit. You realize this powder is on the fast side for that weight of a boolit, so increase the load very gradually until your accuracy requirement is met. ... felix

StarMetal
07-20-2005, 12:24 PM
BABORE

Well a dedicated reloading section isn't going to happen. I figured some members would say "Well why don't you compile it" To which I say screw you. Tactful? I'm not addressing a group of women at a PTO meeting. I didn't say just send the newbie to the reloading section. I said have him go there, read what pertains to his rifle, bullet, powder, then either try it, or come back and ask some questions about it, but definately come back and talk about it after he tried it and tell us maybe something new or different he found about it with his particular rifle.

Joe

9.3X62AL
07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
NV Curmudgeon's mode of visiting this site is much like my own--although I do mess around with Rifles That Load The Right Way. Our DSL system has been intermittent lately--I think the laser leveling systems used on some nearby construction sites are screwing up either the DSL or the wireless router at our house. Accordingly, reliance upon the "Today" function could cause me to miss a number of posts.

There is much of value said in 357 Tex's post. I don't EVER want to brush off anyone with a question that I can help with by simply referring him/her to a past thread or printed reference resource--as mentioned above, such a move leaves the impression that we have been "bothered" with a question already discussed. That's arrogance--a thing I find most obnoxious.

There ARE new people coming to this hobby, perhaps because of our site's existence. I think it would be the height of folly to not make these folks feel welcome and answer their questions at the time asked. I had these same questions not so many years ago, and I would have been a LOT better off had there been a resource like this to bounce ideas around.

My view--let's not turn wrenches on things not broken.

Willbird
07-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm a relative newby here, if what I think even matters. I think it is good for people to ask questions, maybe some of yaal are so good and smart that you don't read the thread because there is nothing more to learn but for myself I read the basic stuff, might learn a new trick.

I would be all for setting up a section on basic, intermediate, and advanced reloading technique tho. BrianEnos.com forums has a decent setup to go take a look at . We already have some firearm specific sections tho.

I admit I do use the "Today" function and I am becoming aware that I miss stuff.

Bill

felix
07-20-2005, 12:41 PM
I guess it is just much easier to answer the question as directly as possible without emotional inference. Unfortunately, that is very hard to do with some folks who love guarding their experiences and need credit for each and every citation after any pertinent delivery to the board. I would have answered this man's 30-30 question before now if I've had show and tell experience with 2400 in this cartridge and boolit weight. But, I have experience using this powder speed in all kinds of case and bore sizes and so I had to go with my intellectual inference to answer the question. In other words, given the same situation at my house, I would load the gun with what I displayed in the post. With no hesitation, either. ... felix

carpetman
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Waksupi--herding ferrets? Thought you were a sheep man.

BruceB
07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Reading this thread, and sitting on my hands to avoid saying anything up 'til now, a couple things come to mind.

1. The newcomers, both to our Board and to our hobby, are the lifeblood of both. Where I can help them, like just about everyone here, I do try to help.

2. I see nothing wrong with referring folks to previous threads and other locations for the info they seek....as long as it's done in a constructive manner, i.e.: don't give the gent a brush-off, saying "Go look here, and stop bothering me!" Instead, give him a little background and THEN say that the subject was discussed in some detail at "-----", go check that out, and then you should COME BACK with further questions for further help. Abert Rim asked about heavy-bullet .45ACPs just yesterday, and I referred him to an earlier thread. I doubt that his feelings were hurt, but then, he's not exactly a newbie, either.

3. Almost everything posted on this site gets read by me. Along with Curmudgeon, I just don't bother with the "today" function, preferring to page through all the different fora one at a time to see what's cooking. With the way threads tend to wander, one can easily miss good info or entertainment (or both!) if using only the thread titles to decide what to read.

4. There are times I choose to sit out from a discussion, simply because I hold a very strong opinion on the given subject and don't care to get into a cyber cat-fight to defend it. This doesn't mean that I'm disinterested, or of such a closed mind that I can't see other views. All it means is that I can foresee un-necessary heat which will not advance anyone's education or peace of mind! I've had considerable experience in such environments and have resolved to avoid the "fan/feces interface" whenever possible.

All of you new folks should rest assured that we welcome you here with the greatest pleasure, and hope you stick around to help us enjoy the hobby. You are NOT inconveniencing us in any way that I can see, and in fact bring contributions of your own with you....as long as you make a post now and again! It is also to be hoped that lurkers eventually take that important step and register here, so they can become active on our site, too.

Scrounger
07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
]I'm a relative newby here, if what I think even matters[/SIZE]. I think it is good for people to ask questions, maybe some of yaal are so good and smart that you don't read the thread because there is nothing more to learn but for myself I read the basic stuff, might learn a new trick.

I would be all for setting up a section on basic, intermediate, and advanced reloading technique tho. BrianEnos.com forums has a decent setup to go take a look at . We already have some firearm specific sections tho.

I admit I do use the "Today" function and I am becoming aware that I miss stuff.

Bill

It matters if YOU think it matters. Don't let us make up your mind for you...

Scrounger
07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I was under the impression that at least part of every post does appear on the Today pages. If you read that, you should see most of everything that is posted...

StarMetal
07-20-2005, 04:31 PM
BruceB

Pretty well put sir. About how you stated it is what I'd like to see happen. Compile the section, then talk to the new reloader, then tell him the loads you speak of are in this "new section", easy to find, don't have to search old threads. By no means did I mean the newcomers were to be told to go away, find it somewhere else. A good example is your technique for casting fast with the damp cloth method. There's a sticky on that, but we never heard the Five Fathers ******** about that being section..oh oh. Don't get me wrong Bruce, it's an excellent technique and I use it. So now maybe you know what I'm talking about. Tell them about your technique, then point them to the sticky. Same with the cast loads both bullet and powder wise and rifle specific. Admit it, we're a bunch of milsurp shooters and new fangled equipment gets tossed in too. We can deal with the new stuff too. This isn't something that will happen over a day, a week , or month. Will take time, but we can keep adding to it and updating it. Believe it or not I love teaching new people things. I've taught both my sons everything I possibly can and can only hope alot of it stuck in their brains so they can retreive it in the future. Good post Bruce, thanks.

Joe

floodgate
07-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I was under the impression that at least part of every post does appear on the Today pages. If you read that, you should see most of everything that is posted...

I'm with Scrounger on this; I like the overview "Today" gives me. I hit the site at least once every 24 hours, check the "last-visited" time in the box at top right, and run back through the pages until I can pick up where I left off. I can read over the current posts lightly, and drop down to the individual Board involved if I need to follow a particular thread. For those that can't visit that often, maybe "Today" could be stretched to 48 or 72 hours (2 to 3 days), but the "Today" function suits me just fine.

And I gotta second Bruce B and others: the "newbies" are our lifeblood, and deserve our help and encouragement; if I get tired of recapping the basics, someone else will certainly pitch in. Actually, I find myself either learning something new, or refreshing an - increasingly shaky! - memory just about every time I do so.

floodgate

StarMetal
07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Well I guess our system here is so good that's why all the bullet and powder manufacturers use it huh, and don't put out a manual. We can just get on there website and message their employees...a great family atmosphere type of thing.

Alot of you fellows are narrow minded. Old Joe Stametal never suggested getting rid of the newbies, but you all are stuck on that! If you can't post something better to beat me down about getting rid of the newbies, then don't post anything.

TOO THE NEWBIES

I never suggested you're not welcome on this website because you are indeed very welcome.

Okay, that settles it. I'll be my own moderator here. This thread is closed. Don't anyone post anymore here. We're not going to make a special section. Oh and don't forget THE NEWBIES ARE WELCOME THE NEWBIES ARE WELCOME

Joe

Ron
07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
As a relative newbie to this forum I feel that I should post my reasons for registering on the forum. Although I have been shooting for some 30 years and getting close to my 61st year I found that the humour of some of the posts was great., the advice was apparently freely given with some authority and enthusiasm in a very friendly way and was generally accepted by the person asking the question. I have yet to post a question but I am confident that if someone knows the answer he will tell me or direct me to where to find the answer. I find this a totally acceptable way of communicating information.
My reading of the posts here, before and since joining the forum has solved a number of questions for me without having to ask questions. The wealth of information and experience held by all involved in the forum is tremendous and in my opinion is probably better dealt with than in other forums I visit.
As you are probably aware, a lot of the stuff mention here does not mean much to me, simply because I live in Australia and your powders etc, on the whole, are different from what I am familiar with. The same applies to other subjects on the forum but I stay here because I enjoy the banter and the information gained.
Sorry for this post Joe (Starmetal) but as a stubborn Scot I just had to have my say.

Ron

wills
07-21-2005, 12:04 AM
While I'm a newer member here and certainly new to casting, I'm not unfamiliar with shooting forums. Every one is designed a little different. I just posted a question under the Cast Boolits header on a load for the 30-30 using 2400 powder. Is this the right place, probably not. But where is the right place? The Reloaders Guide! How many of you long time members visit that area? There hasn't been a post there in over a month. There are very few posts there period. I agree that things should be archived there for reference, but not new posts.

Before posting my question, I did a full search at MarlinOwners, Beartooth, and finally here. I found an old post here that mentions 2400 powder, but no specifics. So, where to post a reloading question where you can expect an answer in a reasonable time frame?

Being new to casting I followed the normal progression, reading up on equipment, molds, and techniques. Every step of the way I've either solved my own problem through information read here, or posted an occasional stupid question. I've always tried to search first. Well now I got my technique pretty well down, so whats the next big hurdle. Gettin them Boolits to shoot.

The first stop is my manuals. I have six fairly current manuals including the Lyman cast book. The only reference to Hercules 2400 is in the Lyman book for a 115 gr boolit, not my 311041. Checked out gmdr.com, all low velocity stuff.

IMHO this is a great site. What would make it better is a dedicated reloading section. Right up front with the others, not tucked away and seldom visited. As a new caster, I'm following a fairly logical progression. Equipment, molds, techiniques, now reloading and shooting.

Trying to not be a PITA.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

30-30 Winchester 170gr RNFPbb
PR: WLR CM: Rem TempF: 71 OAL: 2.550"
PT PW Vel SD GS
H2400 7.0 1005 13.3 1.36
8.0 1108 10.3 1.20
9.0 1212 7.7 1.55
10.0 1288 8.2 3.9
11.0 1377 10.3 4.4