PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to work?

dmclark523
10-17-2012, 11:24 AM
So I'm casting/loading for 9mm now, and I just purchased a .356 TL Lee mold, seen here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141131/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl356-124-2r-9mm-luger-38-super-380-acp-356-diameter-124-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc
I also purchased a .356 Lee sizing kit to weed out any mis-shaped rounds and give myself optimal performance. I have NOT opened the kit, however, so it is still in shape to return to Midway if needed.

I attempted to slug my barrel, but I came up .354. Is that normal? Should I return my kit and get something smaller? Should I scrap the whole .356 Mold? I am just wondering your thoughts on this.

Going to start loading tomorrow (When my primers ship in).

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
if everything you state is correct, you are good to go.

BUT, .354 sounds small.
9mm handguns are usually .355 but some are .356 or .357
did you measure with a Micrometer or Venier calipers ?
Venier calipers are the wrong tool for the job.
also, if there is an odd number of grooves in the barrel ?
then measuring the slug is much more difficult.
If so, I use a strip of Pop can metal and wrap it
around the slug, take the measurement,
then subtract the metal thickness x2.
Jon

454PB
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
you can shoot them unsized if they will chamber.

.354" is unusually small for a 9mm, it might be a good idea to double check. If the boolits cast at .356" and will chamber OK, they should be fine.

williamwaco
10-17-2012, 11:58 AM
The conventional wisdom is that 9MM barrels are .355.

I have been shooting 9mm autos of various brands since about 1965.
Many of my friends have done the same.

I have never seen a 9mm barrel that small. The ones I have slugged are always .3560 to .3575

As to getting something smaller, I doubt if that is an option unless you buy a custom sizing die. .356 is the smallest die Lee makes. Lyman offers .355 and .354 but you would have to buy a lubrisizer to use it.

I expect you either did not get your slug upset enough to fill the bore, or you used a caliper instead of a micrometer, or both.

Before you spend any more money, make a couple of dummy rounds with as cast bullets. If they chamber OK, lube 50 of them and try them. If they shoot OK, stop. You are home.

Miss-shaped. If you see a bullet that is visually imperfect, toss it in the sprue pile.
Your caliper will tell you even the best are out of round by .002 or so. Don't worry about that. Unless you are expecting 1.00" groups at 25yards, that will not matter. If you are expecting 1.00" groups at 25 yards, you are using the wrong handgun.