PDA

View Full Version : Found a new use for bullplate lube

jonk
10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Just so no one calls me out on "Hey jonk, you've given some mixed feedback on bullplate, what gives?" I'll start with a summary of my personal position.

Ok, so I've made no beef about the fact that I have personally never found it to be indispensable for the sprue plate... but really like it for other mold lubing duties (pins, ribs, hinge, etc), and really like it for making speed green (though of late I've been having very good luck with Lars lubes).

Everyone at Bullshop has always been top notch, and I'm very happy to see the posts in the Vendor board that they are back as they are a great asset to our community and the casting/shooting world in general.

For my part I'm really excited, as I just found a very specific but interesting use.

I have a sharps 1863 with the removable chamber sleeve. After shooting you remove it, clean, re-insert, and shoot with combustible paper cartridges. Removing the darned thing after shooting has always been a pain, requiring a heavy hammer with any grease I've tried.

So on a lark I tried Bullshop's bullplate lube. Voila, even after 100 rounds, popped out with just modest arm pressure and a light whack with my fist, no hammer.

Suddenly my lifetime supply will only last a few years, so once they get everything going, it will be my pleasure to order a nice supply for my chamber needs. :bigsmyl2:

williamwaco
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Just so no one calls me out on "Hey jonk, you've given some mixed feedback on bullplate, what gives?" I'll start with a summary of my personal position.

Ok, so I've made no beef about the fact that I have personally never found it to be indispensable for the sprue plate... but really like it for other mold lubing duties (pins, ribs, hinge, etc), and really like it for making speed green (though of late I've been having very good luck with Lars lubes).

Everyone at Bullshop has always been top notch, and I'm very happy to see the posts in the Vendor board that they are back as they are a great asset to our community and the casting/shooting world in general.

For my part I'm really excited, as I just found a very specific but interesting use.

I have a sharps 1863 with the removable chamber sleeve. After shooting you remove it, clean, re-insert, and shoot with combustible paper cartridges. Removing the darned thing after shooting has always been a pain, requiring a heavy hammer with any grease I've tried.

So on a lark I tried Bullshop's bullplate lube. Voila, even after 100 rounds, popped out with just modest arm pressure and a light whack with my fist, no hammer.

Suddenly my lifetime supply will only last a few years, so once they get everything going, it will be my pleasure to order a nice supply for my chamber needs. :bigsmyl2:

That is the source of most great advancements. Way to go.

stubshaft
10-18-2012, 01:48 AM
There used to be a kinda long thread of the various uses of Bullplate.

Mooseman
10-18-2012, 02:11 AM
I guess you never tried Anti-seize...If Bullplate works , go for it.

Bullshop
10-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Now that is interesting! I remember back a couple years ago when some of the BP top dogs were evaluating NASA lube. If you dont know NASA is our black powder lube.
Anyway Kenny W. had long ago before this time flat out stated that below a certain humidity that bee's wax base lubes would fail with black powder.
He and some others agreed to test several BP lubes side by side. Kenny ended up having to recalibrate his view on bee's wax base lube as he gave NASA a high grade after being tested beyond his previously believed humidity limit.
His comment was " I dont know what you do to make it hydrate so well" or something very close to that.
The main lube ingrediant in NASA is Bullplate. It does seem to do a jod with hard BP fouling. 100 shots though!!! That seems amazing to me.
The NASA lube (Bullplate) seemed to solve cylinder binding problems for CAS revolver shooters using BP as well.