PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with runfiverun

runfiveslittlegirl
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
So wouldn't you know it we go out and hike all over the mountains, and we finally decided to head back to the car. We start driving down the mountain when dad looks over and tells me there are some deer off the side of the road, just our luck for hiking everywhere, deer a hundred yards off the road. I hop out of the truck put the scope up on a little two pointer but forgot that shooting downhill you have to aim low, oops [smilie=b: Needless to say I missed and he took off down the hill to the right so we got back in the truck and drove on down the road. Dad saw another run across the road so we stop again I walk down the road one way and him the other. I hear a shot, not towards the side of the road I was told the deer ran to might I add, then I heard another shot and dad threw his arms up in the air and yelled "YEA" really loudly. He took off running down the hill with his 257 Roberts and told me to get the bag, figured i'd shut the car off and what not as well. He keeps telling me pulling it out of there was worth it. I might agree if i'd been the one to have shot it.

(Sorry about the cell phone pictures guys)

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1015121756b.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1015121755.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1015121756a.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/1015121756.jpg

sixshot
10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Nice buck Lamar, I'm sure it was just an accident that you sent your daughter the wrong way!! You sly rascal!

Dick

runfiverun
10-16-2012, 11:57 PM
wow i hadn't seen the pic's untill now.
they make it look level.
i can assure you it is not, the second picture down is the angle this hill is on from left to right.
the bad part is i had been carrying the 30-30 with cast loads in it all week and had, had to pass taking a shot on another buck almost this big because of distance.
as we were leaving the house to drop off the boat in storage we decided to go hunting in that area since we would be there and i have not taken this rifle hunting before i thought i would take it along.
sadly the shot on this deer would actually have been easier with the levergun.
but it did give me an excuse with the wife as the last good one i shot was also with a 25 cal rifle that i had never hunted with before also.

waksupi
10-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Atta boy, Lamar! Thanks for the pics, Dawn!

Idaho Mule
10-17-2012, 12:23 AM
very nice buck there runfiveslittlegirl, looks to me like you should go into guiding. Sure hope the older guy didn't play out to bad on the pack out and leave all the work to a girl!! No, seriously guys, that is a nice buck, congrats on that. But run, I do know for certain that there are steeper hills than that around Soda.

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Good one! Dang, ya got a head start on us there in ID. Two more weeks and counting to regular season......

Gear

runfiveslittlegirl
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Haha I don't know about that; however, I did lead a friend all over those hills today all we found was a lone doe.. It was quite lame.
Nah he had to do most of the dragging I just pulled and didn't let it slide farther down the hill.
N that is a rather steep hill. I've fallen down it and drug two deer up it. Its one of the steepest I've seen here.

41mag
10-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Congrats on the nice deer.

Ya know that hunt played out a LOT like some my daughter and I have been on. Just sayin......

It's great you all have the chance to get out together and do a little foot work. I also understand about having to drag one like that up the hill. My bud and I hunted SE CO one year near La Veta, where my sister lived.

It was all new to me having never hunted anywhere other than the little foot hills and piney woods here in TX. We were on our way in from the morning hunt and managed to catch one very similar to yours, that thought he was hid some 50yds straight down off the trial. He never even moved at the shot.

My bud took off to the truck to put up the rifles and get our skinning pack while I did the dress out. When he got back we decided that the straight up approach wasn't going to cut it do to the loose rock and other debris so we opted for the more gentle slope which was another 30 or so yards of dragging but no loose debris. I have to say that the 8000'ish foot elevation we were, at wasn't very nice to us flat landers one bit. In fact I was watching little blue dots float around for several minutes after we finally got it to the trial. I have never breathed so hard I actually whistled either.

Well sorry the long story, but the site of that deer and the surrounding background brought that hunt right back to the forefront of my memories. It was a great time with a great friend and family while we were there.

Thanks for sharing

Blammer
10-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Good job! yea with me getting older and hunting by myself I evaluate 'do I really want to pull a small deer from way down there...'

What projectile did you use?

Grandpas50AE
10-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Great job, and every hunt together is a great one - building really wonderful memories that will stay with you longer than most things in life. A few of my granddaughters are just about old enough to join me on some hunts now in the Ouachita mountains in Arkansas where I hunt. Congrats.

x101airborne
10-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I love hunting with family. Great job, you two.

Hamish
10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
It's always a little more worth it when they have handles to pull 'em out with.:happy dance:

cobbmtmac
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello to, Lamar, Dawn and Alice

Hey Lamar and Dawn just wanted to say, besides the nice BUCK!, what a great and exhilarating end to a hard hunt. It has been so special when we hunted with our boys and one of us was sucessful. So, I know having Dawn with you had to be very special!

429421Cowboy
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Nothing beats hunting with family for sure! And nobody remembers the easy hunts either, there has to be a little hardship involved!

softpoint
10-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Good one! Dang, ya got a head start on us there in ID. Two more weeks and counting to regular season......

Gear

Got 1/2 my limit already. Saving the other half till gun season. Deer here sure aren't the size they are up north, but they are plentiful. This one was within sight of my house

runfiverun
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
here are the load and gyn details.
the rifle is apush feed win xtr featherweight in 257 roberts it is one of the very last rifles the actual winchester made [with the red butpad]
the load is the remington standard case.
mag tech 9-1/2 primer.
46.1 grs of rl-19
and the hornady 120 gr hollow point.

i have debated this bullet a lot as i use it in one of my 25-06's at 3000 fps mv and it is super accurate giving groups under 1-1/2's at 300 yds.
it gives 1-1/2 groups in this roberts at 200 yds with a muzzle velocity in the 2750 fps area.
there was some superficial blood on the surface where i shot him, as i had to take a liver/into the lungs shot and then a high spine shot right next to each other due to the steepness of the hill and the weeds i was shooting over.
he didn't show much reaction to the first shot [and i thought i missed plus some other words]
so i got ahead of him in the trees and put another into him and he kept going [thought i missed again lots of more words and i'm beginning to doubt my shooting ability]
so i got ahead to another opening and waited, he come out backwards moon walking and tipped over.

MT Gianni
10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Nice buck and a nice write up by Dawn and Lamar.

TCLouis
10-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Critters ALWAYS die downhill of where the vehicle is located

swheeler
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Congratulations Lamar nice buck. Dawn you did an excellent job of getting the client on some game, did he tip you?:)

runfiverun
10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
almost tipped her.
bribed with a fresca [delicious grapefruit soda] is more like it.
there is one last fresca waiting, for her when we get her deer.
she got a hurry up shot yesterday at one almost as big as this one,then passed on a barely had horns buck.
an old friend of mine come up from utah to go hunting with us yesterday.
he seen the deer first
he got excited and kind of made her nervous with his excitement.
plus the deer was havin none of it and headed for the timber right off.
but dawn made a nice shot on a tree branch, takin after her old man right there.

swheeler
10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
I have no doubt Dawn will connect with a nice one!

TXGunNut
10-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.

runfiverun
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
it's been a strange year for deer.
i have seen more lone does this year, and the deer are scattered everywhere.
the does are starting to move down to the private fields, and i haven't seen any bucks with them.

Idaho Mule
10-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I gotta laugh here!! Should not admit this but I missed the branch, missed the deer, but I did connect with a dirt clod in the field tonight. Was right at end of shooting light, range of 250+ yds. I should not of shot. Upon follow-up, deer was fine but the dirt clod was deceased. JW

bushwack
10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow, thats a nice buck that you shot. I wish I could find a buck that big and tell your daughter good job for me. This year Josh shot a spike but that was the only buck we had even seen and even the guys that we had talked to, nobody was even seeeing any bucks. So we felt lucky to get that. My cow elk tag is still coming up in november.

Bushwack

runfiverun
10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
how's that 0-6 load shootin?
after all that and we could really have gotten both deer with cast.
we had been hunting with lead then switched when everything we had seen was just out of range for the cast.
had to pass one nice buck [almost as big as this one] that was just a bit out of the comfort zone and let him walk.
then get both within 40 yds.

bushwack
10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Ive been shooting it at different yards, at 200 yards its dropping about 7 or 8in. At 100 yards I sighted it in at about an inch high. So I'm thinking I should keep my shots under 200.

Bushwack.

OnHoPr
10-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Nice buck runfiverun. So far, it looks like your winning the big buck category in the meatgetters section. Did you ever think about using a cheap habor frieght electric winch and small deep cycle battery with possibly smaller cable for increased cable length on a little two wheel cart or maybe a boat winch and putting the deer on one of those plastic skiidders and pulling the deer up backwards so horns and hair wouldn't catch ground debris. Here in MI we might not have the rockies but there are some hills that have 60 degree inclines and a few hundred feet high. I have always thought when hunting near those hills that I had better drop a deer before it goes down one of those hills. Trying to drag a 100 - 200 lb deer up one of those grades on dry ground would have been :groner:.

starmac
10-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I have never understood the thought process of having to drag or haul the whole deer out of a tough situation.
When hunting moose or elk, there is no thoughts of this, why can't a guy quarter a deer and make more than one trip?
I have hunted in the Gila wilderness, If I get a deer 2 or 3 miles from the road, even on easy terrain, I would much rather make two trips.

Wolfer
10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
A few years ago I was talking to one of the game wardens here in MO. I asked since we now have tele-check and I often hunt a long ways from the road if I could call it in then quarter it up and back-pack it out. He said that was legal but they really liked you to bring the whole deer out.
I once killed two deer 3 miles from the road so I went home and got a couple horses to pack them out.
The hills where we hunt now are long and very steep. We keep 2 or 3 hundred ft of rope at camp so we can tie it to a 4-wheeler and drag it to the top.

starmac
10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Strange. All I have ever seen in any regs is that you have to keep proof of sex with it. I never heard of a game warden not liking it, and am not real interested in what they like.

Here even if we kill a moose in a 50 inch or better area, them horns has to be in the last load hauled out.
There are some units, that you have to leave the bones in the meat though.

Wolfer
10-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Until we got tele-check we had to take the whole deer to a check station. It could be field dressed of course but nothing else. I think when you live in a state that has big game they have to look at it differently.
I've put the edible parts of an elk on a horse many times but have never tried loading a whole one.
I can't even roll one over, I just start on the top and whittle him down to my size.

runfiverun
10-27-2012, 09:05 PM
we usually have some long lengths of rope with us, and that's how we got it up the last bit of the hill.
we wrapped the rope around a tree and played it down the hill then pulled forward.
backed up and pulled forward again.
you could use a winch but would have to do the same thing.
we discussed going down hill but it's quite a treck to the road down below and opted for the shorter trip up till the rope reached.
there is no way you would pull anything up this hill on a 4 wheeler,and down really drops into a steep gully so it's up or across.
we do quite often quarter up a deer to get them out.
i have pulled the back straps, loins,and neck meat out of the carcass, packed those,and drug the hind quarters behind me on a few ocassions.
i have done the same with elk and made multiple trips,i will mostly/partially/completly bone them out if i have the daylight.