PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in New England

FISH4BUGS
10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Just got rattled with a 4.6 tremor centered southwest of Portland Maine - maybe 40 miles or so from here. very interesting! Shook the whole house rather strongly for maybe 10 seconds.....no damage that I can see.
Casting and reloading area is just fine....that's all that counts!

legend
10-16-2012, 08:08 PM
as a misplaced vermonter i cant imagine...bet a lot of apples fell.

square butte
10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Yep - Definately shake, ratttle and roll here in southern Vermont. I new what it was right away - haveing felt many in Montana over the years. Had to go out and see if the Barn had fallen off the back of the house. My guess was 4.6 or 4.7. Turned out to be a good guess.

JeffinNZ
10-16-2012, 11:23 PM
My thoughts are with you on this one.

DukeInFlorida
10-17-2012, 05:34 AM
was sitting here on 7th floor of Maine Medical Center in Portland Maine. Lots of side-to-side action here. Nothing fell off walls or beds.

missionary5155
10-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Good morning
USGS has an earthquake site you can visit and get all the details. Even an area where you can give them the details that personally experienced. I look at it daily to keep tract of the Arequipa, Peru area while we are up here. Try Real-Time Earthquake Map.
Mike in ILL

Boerrancher
10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Good morning
USGS has an earthquake site you can visit and get all the details. Even an area where you can give them the details that personally experienced. I look at it daily to keep tract of the Arequipa, Peru area while we are up here. Try Real-Time Earthquake Map.
Mike in ILL

My wife practically lives at the USGS site. She is one of those type nerds that lives for Geology and Meteorology. The USGS earthquake map is really good if you want to see what is going on.

Best wishes,

Joe

FISH4BUGS
10-17-2012, 08:41 AM
My thoughts are with you on this one.

Jeff: your town was virtually destroyed as I recall the news. I can only imagine how it must have been to go through that.
With our 4.6 I thought our furnace had exploded, but then also immediately thought someone was breaking into the house and grabbed my 9mm. In only a few seconds I realized that neither was correct and it must have been an earthquake.
The house was built in 1790 and has long rough hewn log floor supports....they bounced up and down probably two or three inches while I was standing in the center of the room.
Very interesting experience.

Baja_Traveler
10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
We always get razzed here in California for earthquakes, but the real danger lies in the midwest and east coast faults. 4.6 is a pretty good one - hopefully it took alot of the pressure off the fault and it will be your last for a long while.

FISH4BUGS
10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
We always get razzed here in California for earthquakes, but the real danger lies in the midwest and east coast faults. 4.6 is a pretty good one - hopefully it took alot of the pressure off the fault and it will be your last for a long while.

I have to say, I have lived all over the world (raised in the military) including Tokyo Japan, and I have never felt one this big. I know there are far bigger ones in the world, but this one really rattled us. Biggest one I have ever experienced.

square butte
10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I see they have down graded it to a 4.0 - So much for my lucky guess on the magnitude. Serves me right for bragging. I appologize for that there Lord.

9.3X62AL
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I grew up (and still live) in earthquake country, and a 4.0 is a significant temblor--more so for folks unaccustomed to their occurrence.

dragonrider
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Felt here in Linwood, Ma also. A little ripple passed by.
This link will show you all the earthquakes that happen around the world every day.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

DukeInFlorida
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
specific to last night's quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000d75b#summary

Tom-ADC
10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
That was just a test run from here to see how well the transfer process will work.
So far so next two more and we'll be earthquake free.[smilie=l:
Have to agree with my fellow CA member above 4.0 who'd even notice?

bruce drake
10-17-2012, 01:21 PM
5.8 in Virginia in August 2011, 4.6 yesterday in New England...Perhaps the East Coast will fall off and not california in the next Big One!

Bruce

Mooseman
10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
We call em a "Foot Massage"....LOL

Alan in Vermont
10-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Nothing over here on the west coast of New England, zip, nada, zilch as far as I noticed. We have a rock quarry a little over 1/2 mile away and you can feel their blasts through the ground. It's possible I felt a bump and never noticed since the quarry blasts are a fairly frequent non-event.

Doc_Stihl
10-17-2012, 01:47 PM
My kids came running out of the back room and said "We didn't do that".

Shook pretty good over my way.

JeffinNZ
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
5.8 in Virginia in August 2011, 4.6 yesterday in New England...Perhaps the East Coast will fall off and not california in the next Big One!

Bruce

Don't you just want DC to break off and float away? :-)

bruce drake
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
It was originally built in a swamp and its been full of it ever since!

rbertalotto
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Biggest Earthquake fault line runs right through Missouri. I understand it once made the Mississippi river run backwards.

I live just south of Boston, but traveling in Louisiana this week and didn't feel a thing...........We'll I did feel something after my night last night in the French Quarter, but that was something else making the earth move under my feet!....

felix
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Yep, the river ran backwards amongst making the sand move like the ocean with 6 foot waves up all the big river valleys. The town of New Madrid was wiped off and lies in the bottom of the river. The town of New Madrid was rebuilt. Reelfoot Lake (TN) and Kentucky Lake (KY) were formed from scratch from low lands, and the KY Lake actually was filled full when a dam was built on the TN River at that location. There are many shakes in this area, but 90 percent of them are below 2.0. ... felix

Blacksmith
10-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Bruce

No the west coast will fall off, we just decided to let Chicago and the rest of the country go with it.:kidding:

DukeInFlorida
10-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Or, in your case, Rich, a a$$ ma$$age.

LOL

We call em a "Foot Massage"....LOL

Olevern
10-18-2012, 06:35 AM
My kids came running out of the back room and said "We didn't do that".

That's funny:mrgreen:

jlchucker
10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Never noticed or felt anything from this earthquake where I live in Northern VT.

felix
10-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Heavy rocks don't bounce much, and instead make the waves rebound backwards or just glance off. Straight rebounding back waves are called after shock waves. ... felix

Wayne Smith
10-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Yep, the river ran backwards amongst making the sand move like the ocean with 6 foot waves up all the big river valleys. The town of New Madrid was wiped off and lies in the bottom of the river. The town of New Madrid was rebuilt. Reelfoot Lake (TN) and Kentucky Lake (KY) were formed from scratch from low lands, and the KY Lake actually was filled full when a dam was built on the TN River at that location. There are many shakes in this area, but 90 percent of them are below 2.0. ... felix

Two separate quakes three years apart if I remember my history, Felix. Since that area is on the shield, on hard rock, Church bells in Boston rang as a result, both times. I asked LOML, the geologist, about that, comparing Southern California with New Madrid. Her comparison was to compare Southern California with a bowl of jello, you shake it and it settles down quickly due to all the faults in the area, and the shield to a plate of steel. Hit one corner with a hammer and the opposite corner moves almost as much.

Beau Cassidy
10-18-2012, 07:58 AM
I felt the one in Maine as I am about 30 miles from its center. I initially thought it was a door being slammed since I am in a hotel but it was about 50 times harder than that. Lasted just a few seconds but the floor trembled for quite a while. I was just outside of Atlanta when the one hit up in VA last year. My office must be on one of those granite veins they talk so much about. Being on the second floor, the blinds started shaking pretty bad and hitting the aluminum window frames. It was kinda neat. It lasted quite a while.

Brasso
10-18-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm just outside of Augusta about 50 miles from Portland and I didn't feel a thing. Although my nephews just up the road said they felt it.

Sam

Beau Cassidy
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm just outside of Augusta about 50 miles from Portland and I didn't feel a thing. Although my nephews just up the road said they felt it.

Sam

I am up in Farmington.

EdZ KG6UTS
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
as a misplaced vermonter i cant imagine...bet a lot of apples fell.

Quick!! Man the cider presses!

EdZ KG6UTS

Brasso
10-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Beau Cassidy,
Did you feel anything?

Sam