PDA

View Full Version : Things about shooting/reloading/casting, etc. that irritate!

1Shirt
10-16-2012, 07:21 PM
1, Being on the range when there is somebody who just takes his time posting targets with no consideration of the time of others.

2, Being on the range with someone who does not have a spotting scope of binocs and wants to check targets after 10-15 rounds.

3, Being on the range with someone who just wants to talk to you while you are shooting.

4. The know it all who tells you all about the dangers of cast boolits.

5. Forgetting to pay attention to the tinsel fairy!

Your Turn!
1Shirt1

Love Life
10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
People leaving refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, propane tanks, glass, and furniture on the public land ranges around here.

Trey45
10-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Inconsiderate shooters at public ranges who won't agree to a cease fire so you can hang targets, even though you've been waiting for 30 minutes to hang one.

Smokers on the firing line. I don't care if you smoke, just not on the firing line. Call it a pet peave.

People who leave litter laying around instead of cleaning it up for themselves.

Brass hogs who attempt to take my brass. Take your brass, leave mine alone.

Gun snobs who openly mock a new shooter for his poor choice in firearms. I saw a kid who just turned 21 show up at a range with his Hi Point pistol, proud as he could be of it, and was openly mocked by someone who felt it was his responsibility to belittle this poor guy about his choice.

Tactards who dress out in full BDU including daypack, helmet, goggles and gloves to target shoot.

0verkill
10-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Tactards who dress out in full BDU including daypack, helmet, goggles and gloves to target shoot.

I would ask whether that's an exaggeration but, sadly, something tells me it's not. Also, I've never had anyone try to take my brass, but it could come to blows or worse. Notice no "smiley" at the end 'cause I ain't jokin'.

Leaving junk at public areas open to shooting. I know it's been mentioned, but it's bad enough to mention again. Worst of all is finding spoons and needles laying around.

Being in the back yard shooting and being told I have a phone call, if it's not life or death I don't care.

Most everthing else I can ignore or even laugh off.

shredder
10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Going to the range and seeing one guy taking up 5 of the 6 benches with all the benchrest stuff, wind flags, loading gear, truck parked so you can't possibly get in etc etc etc. I can see using one bench and maybe the one next you for all your stuff, but Every time I see this guy it is the same thing. Moron!

Argentino
10-16-2012, 09:42 PM
People at gun ranges trying to steal your brass from almost behind your feet.

And sometimes that same people trying to pick up their brass that landed near you while you are still shooting. Looks as if they cannot wait until I end my shooting before start crawling between my feet!:-x

daniel lawecki
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Ditch pigs people who throw thier **** all over. And the people who dont do their part to help pick up. Go in the woods pick-up something go fishing pick something up. Just dont sit on your ---.

Chihuahua Floyd
10-16-2012, 10:04 PM
People with a spotting scope who NEVER allow anyone to check or post a target.

People who think every lever action is a Winchester 30-30, even when the box of ammo says 44 Mag. and the gun says Marlin.

People who don't understand muzzel control. DON"T point that thing at me!

The anti-brass rat who leaves brass, more usually steel cases, all over the range.

People who don't like blackpowder when I am shooting a muzzleloader. If I wanted to shoot that other c@#$ I would.

People who don't understand "That building over there is a rest room, don't pee in the parking lot next to my car." Happened 2 weeks ago.
CF

canyon-ghost
10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Gun snobs who openly mock a new shooter for his poor choice in firearms. I saw a kid who just turned 21 show up at a range with his Hi Point pistol, proud as he could be of it, and was openly mocked by someone who felt it was his responsibility to belittle this poor guy about his choice

Whoa, that one would about do it for me. I don't have a lot of gripes. How about this one:

People who expect the range to be mowed, painted and well cared for without ever lifting a finger to help. A lot of people want a shooting range served up to them like a side order of fries goes with it! It doesn't happen like that, there's all kinds of work involved.

Mk42gunner
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Someone setting up on the next bench with a rifle that has a muzzle brake (because it helps with recoil), even though there are 9 more empty benchs....

Robert

.22-10-45
10-16-2012, 11:00 PM
People who staple targets to cardboard backer on top of shooting benches..not caring if staples go thru into top or not..nearly ripped hand open on one of these things!

stubshaft
10-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Guys who want their BETTER halves shoot their heavy recoiling pistols/rifles to show how macho they are.

Guys who come to the range and extoll the virtues of the 500S&W and elaborate on the immense power it is capable of then shoot loads with...Trail Boss!

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Something that drive me nuts and happens just about every time I go to my local public shooting facility: The tacticoool jackwagon who sets up immediately to my left with his bypodded AR just so that the muzzle brake focuses on the gap behind my shooting glasses and the hot brass goes down the back of my collar. Seriously, why the hell do you need a !@#$%@ing muzzle brake on a .223 Remingon gas operated autoloader??????????? Have you HEARD of a brass catcher???? Here, let me spray YOU with some of that good stuff there, hero-boy. I learned real quick to grab the open bench as far to the left as possible.

Oh, and the big-shot who backs his reeking, obnoxious, straight-piped diesel pickup up to the benches and lets it idle the entire time he's there because he thinks it's cool. I spent 15 years as a diesel mechanic and I've had my fill of the stench and noise.

Pretty much everything else I can figure ways to make better, but you just can't fix Stupid. There are so many laws these days you can't fix RUDE the old-fashioned way, either.

Gear

olaf455
10-17-2012, 03:07 AM
All valid reasons why I moved to a place I could shoot on my own land. Definitely not possible for everyone, but the few of us that can are blessed not to have to deal with recockulos people.

Ramar
10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
All of the above reasons are why I bought my 150 in the Ozark Mountains. Life is great!
Ramar

Jim
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
All valid reasons why I moved to a place I could shoot on my own land. Definitely not possible for everyone, but the few of us that can are blessed not to have to deal with recockulos people.

Amen!!

Preach it, brother, preach it!! I'll start the choir to singin' "All Hail The Power".

375RUGER
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Gun snobs who openly mock a new shooter for his poor choice in firearms. I saw a kid who just turned 21 show up at a range with his Hi Point pistol, proud as he could be of it, and was openly mocked by someone who felt it was his responsibility to belittle this poor guy about his choice.

And the ones that want to preach a sermon, totally unsolicited, about how great their choice in guns is because they think if you are a shooter that you want to hear about their stuff. I go to the range to shoot guns, not bull.

starnbar
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Having dealt with the how great thier gear is and dealing with all walks of society for 25 years on the job a lot rolls off my back. The few things that irritate me are muzzle brakes, complete idiots, and people that have to belittle someone elses kit. Notice I said complete idiots because we called em something else I can't post it here.

Janoosh
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I usually go to the range to shoot, but sometimes wind up just jawing with my fellow range rats. I'll offer help when asked, or when someone is definitely having problems, but have learned to keep my mouth shut. Major button push... Park right next to me when the WHOLE lot is open! "What? Your car was lonely?" Same goes for a shooting bench. On the other hand, if someone brings their child, I'll let them shoot whatever it is I'm shooting at the time. From an Arisaka to a Flintlock. Slobs are just a headache. Their spouses must follow them around all day picking up after and these "individuals" think others will do the same!

runfiverun
10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
nuthin bothers me too much.
i'm usually happy to see someone else at the range,
it get's kind of boring having the whole place to myself all the time.

and yes i'm serious.

if there is someone obnoxious at the rifle range i just move over to the silhouette or 22 range.
or go all the way round to the pistol ranges.
or keep on going and go set up against the hillside that's right there.
:lol:

now if someone parks next to my car at the range and there's only 2 of us i get bent.
what is it about bright shiney clean muscle cars that attracts farm trucks?

429421Cowboy
10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
People that don't watch their muzzle. I don't like looking down your barrel anymore than you want in wrappped around your ears, but guess what's gonna happen if you keep doing that? My 12 year old Hunter Ed class knows this, why can't you figure it out?

Leaving TVs, old car parts, coolers, scrap plywood and any other thing you can use to hit from ten feet to "practice" with your pistol, or hold a target at 100 yards for your rifle. We graze on alot of state leases, so they get used as informal ranges by people all the time and i wind up with junk to ruin tires or cows to get hardware disese from.

Muzzle brakes. All i'm gonna say there.

People that shoot a 7mm UltraSTWshortmagboom at 3900 FPS with a 130 grain bullet, then are supprised when they ruin meat, crittters run off or take three shots. If I'm burning 95 grains of Retumbo you can bet it's pushing a long heavy bullet that will kill stuff.

People who go out and spend $1200 on a Sendero, Weatherby, or some tacticool rifle, then turn around and shoot factory ammo in it and expect to shoot stuff at 800 yards with it. Factory ammo is fine, but is really hard to get top accuracy out of them and you are pretty limited in choices.

The same people that sight in at 100 yards, then go out and shoot at deer at 500 and miss or wound. Usually these guys will be the ones that come up and show you their all copper bullets that they swear "cut a deer in half" with their .308 at 600 yards (had that happen at school last week).

The same people that buy a $1000+ rifle and then put a $75 3-9 scope on it.

"Sniper" rifles. Tacticool is not my thing, but i do like the AR platform, it is a true swiss army knife rifle, but do you really need a regular factory gun that they painted black, put a Picatinny base on and a detachable mag so you can look like a sniper? I am not talking about expensive custom or semi-custom rifles, i mean off the shelf guns that are sold as "sniper" or "police" models. Not that they are bad guns, but does all that stuff help you shoot any better?

And finally, the people that will argue that the .300 Win mag is the only gun out there that can be used to harvest deer because it works so well on elk and the big bears. I have nothing against the .300 at all, but i prefer the 7mm Rem mag because of higher SD and BC for a given weight bullet, which means more retained velocity and less drop, as well as less wind correction. Most people that don't handload seem to think that because it is bigger, louder and kicks more, it HAS to be better! And in many ways it is, but i personally feel that is where i draw the line at comfortable shooting without a muzzle brake, and unless you are shooting bullets over 190grs, (which many long range shooters do, giving an edge to the .300) the 7 mag can keep up and shoot flatter.

Long winded rant, i guess there is alot that bothers me in the shooting sport!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I've been a member of several private sporting clubs with private ranges over the years.
several of these, if the range didn't see alot of use, I ended up being in charge of the upkeep and mostly I paid for materials out of my own pocket...I'm not complaining here, having a gun range nearly always to myself is a priceless asset, especially if you don't have to pay the real estate tax.

ANYWAY, the rant starts here !
Them darned Vandals that shoot up the trashcans, outhouses, benches, and such.
It happens so often, and they get my blood boiling.
I've never been able to catch one, but if I did...boy I just don't know what'll happen !
Jon

Texantothecore
10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
People who don't watch where there brass is going and tap me on the head on every shot. Please move to the right hand bench and use the wall for what it was intended, brass collection.

Muzzle brakes are a real PITA.

Tacticool ninjas with every doodad known to man bolted to their rifle and who insist on informing everyone just how tacticool their outfit is.

Shooters who can't stand black powder and who whine about the large fragrant cloud wafting over their bench. Man up, for Pete's sake. Or move:That works for me too.

Anyone who belittles another's shooting equipment should be summarily dismissed from the range and told to never darken the portals of the shooting line again. That is my big pet peeve because it is rude and it can discourage a new shooter. Absolutely inappropriate.

Tacticool ninjas who can't understand why I shoot blackpowder and cast my own boolits. They become nasty when they find someone who doesn't give a tinker's d@mn about the latest technological whiz bang doodad.

Self professed experts who inform me of just how badly cast boolits shoot. They know it all. Unfortunately "all" means only info that is incorrect.

FISH4BUGS
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
My regular range does not allow full auto but there is another one about 40 minutes away that does. I like to shoot my machine guns and use cast bullets in the pistol caliber guns. Supressed UZI is a real treat.
When I show up and let a full magazine rip, or shoot semi auto supressed, the reactions are all the way from "....gee....you some kind of gummint guy?" to "lemme see your papers for that".....to "...those are illegal!".....to genuine curiosity about them.
The the "gummint guy" I always say with a straight face "....i am not at liberty to discuss that". (sometimes happens when shooting the M16.
To the "show me the papers for that" I always say "....show me your LE badge and ID and I'd be happy to".
To those that are simply curious, I'll take the time to explain owning full auto stuff.
If they have factory ammo with them, I will even let them shoot it.
Their full magazine full auto grin is priceless.
I have no time for A holes in my life. I have even had the local police called about the "illegal" machine guns. Always fun to let the investigating cop shoot them. Good PR you know. I always have copies of my Form 4 with me so it is all nice and legal.
I once had to explain what a Form 4 was and show the cop exactly why it was legal by virtue of the gummint making the transfer legal.....THEN he shot it!

garym1a2
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Infants! Seriously your hand over their ears does not work.

gwpercle
10-17-2012, 01:03 PM
When I forget and listen to the " bad idea " fairy. Like the time she said my wife wouldn't mind if I converted her dryer into a big case tumbler...it sounded like a good idea at the time. But when she got home she was not a happy camper. And we all know when mamma ain't happy nooobody is happy ! The bad idea fairy lies and you can't forget it .

gary

dnmccoy
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't like shooting at the public ranges after someone had a negligent discharge about 3 lanes over that very well could have been a disaster!

David2011
10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Having guns pointed at me.

People handling guns during a cold range break. Last weekend one guy said it was OK- it wasn't loaded- while several people we downrange in front of him.

I've had the local brass hog try to collect my brass around me while I was shooting.

David

David2011
10-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Gear-

Muzzle break on a .223? YOU BET! Actually, a compensator. It allows me to see impacts through the scope and cuts way down on the time between shots during long range matches. Without one the bipod has to be reset and the targets re-acquired which is very time consuming against a running clock and others whose guns are match prepped. There's no way to be competitive without the right equipment.

David

EdZ KG6UTS
10-17-2012, 03:18 PM
People leaving refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, propane tanks, glass, and furniture on the public land ranges around here.

Monster p'off that one. I take a rake and leaf rake to pick stuff up out where I shoot in the desert. All it takes is for some mess complaints to build up and BLM could shut it all down...as some want to do anyway. A couple of times we came home with a full sized 3/4 ton GMC full of 'stuff' left behind by shooters. Can't figure why the lazy b;stards can haul it all the way out there then just leave it. GRRR! The mess we took back to Borrego was jumped on by a local junk collector to sell as scrap up in Indio, said he'd take all we found.

EdZ

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Gear-

Muzzle break on a .223? YOU BET! Actually, a compensator. It allows me to see impacts through the scope and cuts way down on the time between shots during long range matches. Without one the bipod has to be reset and the targets re-acquired which is very time consuming against a running clock and others whose guns are match prepped. There's no way to be competitive without the right equipment.

David

The jokers I'm talking about wouldn't know about rapid target aquisition or shooting against a clock if their lives depended on it. They have brakes because they read glossy mags and live on tacticool forums, and they don't care the guy three feet away from them at the next bench has to deal with their choices in equipment. If I was at such a competition where the equipment was necessary that would be a different story entirely, and I wouldn't be sitting right next to them, either.

One time, a fellow with a short-barreled AR 10 showed up, but he screwed off his compensator and installed a flash hider after observing the low metal roof, set up his hard case to deflect ejected cases, and was generally quite a gentleman at the crowded firing bench. I shook his hand and thanked him.

Gear

Casper29
10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Stupid range masters that don't know anything about guns or saftey, I got yelled at the other day because I done shooting and with the barrel of my glock pointed down range the magazine was on the table and the slide was locked back, and as I was begining to put it into it soft case the glock moved to a 45 degree angle down twards the ground, barrel mind you is still pointed down range.

or the range masters that have to touch your guns when there is a break to check and post new targets, all weapons must be on the shooting table barrels down range slides locked open and the magazines out, nut yet they still have to pick up your guns and look at them, I do not like any one touching my guns, unless I invite them to.

Jailer
10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Seriously, why the hell do you need a !@#$%@ing muzzle brake on a .223 Remingon gas operated autoloader???????????

Gear

Gun games. It really does help for quick follow up shots and fast double and triple taps.

Gear-

David

Yup.

Not too much bothers me. About the only thing I've been really annoyed with is range snob/hogs. You know the guys that sit all day taking their time and act like it's a huge inconvenience if you ask for a cease fire to hang targets or such. You want to shoot all day I could care less, but you don't own the range.

dagger dog
10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Did you know that loaded 405 gr 45-70 round hammered in a kinetic puller only takes one smack to launch the brass to parts unknown ?

I was used to slamming a 223 Rem or 22 Hornet round 5 maybe 6 times to get the case neck tension to let go of a 40 gr VMax.

This was an eye opener on the bullet weight vs velocity which is best argument, I'm still looking for that 45-70 case. Give me big and slow anytime !

Love Life
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Monster p'off that one. I take a rake and leaf rake to pick stuff up out where I shoot in the desert. All it takes is for some mess complaints to build up and BLM could shut it all down...as some want to do anyway. A couple of times we came home with a full sized 3/4 ton GMC full of 'stuff' left behind by shooters. Can't figure why the lazy b;stards can haul it all the way out there then just leave it. GRRR! The mess we took back to Borrego was jumped on by a local junk collector to sell as scrap up in Indio, said he'd take all we found.

EdZ

I clean up what I can when I can, and haul it off to the dump. 3 times I year I go with the BLM to help clean up the ranges. I wish I could take all the people who dump trash on public land back to the south east and show them how much public land there is to shoot on. Knuckleheads.

These are the same people who would cry if the BLM shut the range down.

Other than that the only thing that peeves me at the range are rangemasters with an inferiority complex. Give them a little power and they act like complete toolbags. I usually leave a range if the rangemaster is a toolbag.

btroj
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
At the range, like in life, I have little patience for idiots. Stupidty just plain irritats me.

I don't need a non-caster telling me how lead bullets can't work.

I don't need a mall ninja telling me anything.

I don't want/need/desire anything labeled as tactical.

In competition I compete against myself. If I am unhappy with my score and that score is much better than yoursi am not bragging. I am better than you and some of that is because I am not satisfied with lousy scores. Want to beat me then do so but do NOT expect me to lose to you.

Yes, I was accused of bragging for just that. Drove me out of hipower shooting. I suppose too many people just can't stand being beat.

km101
10-17-2012, 11:23 PM
My pet peeve is the guy with the "tuned" 1911, (you know it is because he spent 20 mins. telling you) that puts his brass: ony your arm, on your hat, down your neck, or in the middle of your table.

The range officer who comes down the line at cease fire, while you are down at your target, sweeping up all the brass thay you intended to pick up and reload! I asked him twice not to sweep up my brass before it sunk in!

EdZ KG6UTS
10-18-2012, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Love Life;1884866] Knuckleheads.

These are the same people who would cry if the BLM shut the range down.
QUOTE]

There have been several attempts to pressure the BLM to exclude shooting and hunting on their lands. California Rifle and Pistol ASSOC documents those attempts in their mail out. The other things that happen are exclusions due to State Park boundry changes and changes due to development permits. I check with the BLM office and nearby park Officers/Rangers for any new changes on a regular basis...don't want to have weapon confiscated for an unpublished rule change.

On the tactical stuff. Before I retired I had to requal once a year with M9 and M4 before I could be issued weapons when I worked overseas, Iraq, Afghanistan. I liked my M4 simple with a good sling and maybe an EOTEC sight. Folks clearing rooms etc and doing regular patrols add what works for the mission but around here...just toys. Not annoyed by jazzed up barbie doll M4s just amused.

EdZ
Who would be in Baja annoyinf fish if not for Huricane Paul

PS Paul
10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
The guys who INSIST on minding your business. ALL of them! For some reason, especially at gun ranges, there is always the guy who just wants to tell you what you should do, how to aim, how you should not use cast, why you should wear different glasses/ear and so on.

I have a REAL pet peeve about folks minding my business. I really do not appreciate unsolicited advice, so I usually just keep shooting-or move- when "that guy" wants to start up with me after the other poor folks he just lectured for twenty minutes finally move off when they've had enough. Last time, I told one of those guys, "look, I really just came here to shoot, not to talk, please?". Of course, I was the jerk now all of a sudden, but he took the message and left. Good times!

geargnasher
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
One more: Moulds without enough draft angle. And moulds without properly tapered alignment pins. And moulds without a mechanical lock provision on the sprue plate pivot bolt.

Ok, that was four.

Gear

**oneshot**
10-18-2012, 02:40 PM
We have a public range that I frequent. Litter is #1 on my complaints, obeying the rules is #2, Although this is only #3 and the last one I shall list: Don't walk all the way down the line to suggest to me that I shouldn't shoot my pistol on the 100yd line before checking my targets and seeing that I'm grouping just as good as your tacticool-every bell and whistle attachment-telescope mounted-cheap ball ammo shooting-boat anchor IS!!!! Yes this one really happen, he even suggested that no one should be shooting groups at 100yds without at least a 3-9scope.

Saint
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Absolutely can't stand the tacticool AR's. I have a stock Bushmaster m4a3 and everyone keeps telling me I need to upgrade to a folding pistol grip, holographic sight system, upgraded flash hider, new forestock, rail mounted flashlight. Do people not realize how ridiculous these guns look. I have yet to see any sight system short of a scope that will out perform my bone stock battle sight. No I will not be paying 300 dollars to have to worry about batteries on my sights.

Artful
10-19-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm guilt of doing this because I want to see if my gear works, sorry if I look like a mall ninja or Tactifool. But when I shoot prone I want to know if I can get to that mag under my arm.

Artful
10-19-2012, 01:13 AM
I have yet to see any sight system short of a scope that will out perform my bone stock battle sight. No I will not be paying 300 dollars to have to worry about batteries on my sights.

Wait until your eyes go - you'll be looking at those red dots and scopes differently.

Love Life
10-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Absolutely can't stand the tacticool AR's. I have a stock Bushmaster m4a3 and everyone keeps telling me I need to upgrade to a folding pistol grip, holographic sight system, upgraded flash hider, new forestock, rail mounted flashlight. Do people not realize how ridiculous these guns look. I have yet to see any sight system short of a scope that will out perform my bone stock battle sight. No I will not be paying 300 dollars to have to worry about batteries on my sights.

As stupid as they look they are great in the combat zone. Attach Acog, PEQ laser designator/light/sight, flashlight, NVGs, etc.

casterofboolits
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Wait until your eyes go - you'll be looking at those red dots and scopes differently.

Man! Have you got that right!!!!:groner:

btroj
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
As stupid as they look they are great in the combat zone. Attach Acog, PEQ laser designator/light/sight, flashlight, NVGs, etc.

I would imagine they are helpful in a combat zone.

My range isn't a combat zone, the people shooting there are not preparing to enter a combat zone.

Mall ninjas are mall ninjas. Gear doesn't make you a good shot, time and training does.

I hate people that want to win the equipment race but don't understand that the mental race is far more important. Great shot, bad gun still beats lousy shot, great gun.

RobsTV
10-19-2012, 10:30 AM
For some, the range is the only place they can test new things, for better or worse. For others it is where they perfect and fine tune their acquired long ago skills. When people forget about the other half, this annoys me.

Beau Cassidy
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
My regular range does not allow full auto but there is another one about 40 minutes away that does. I like to shoot my machine guns and use cast bullets in the pistol caliber guns. Supressed UZI is a real treat.
When I show up and let a full magazine rip, or shoot semi auto supressed, the reactions are all the way from "....gee....you some kind of gummint guy?" to "lemme see your papers for that".....to "...those are illegal!".....to genuine curiosity about them.
The the "gummint guy" I always say with a straight face "....i am not at liberty to discuss that". (sometimes happens when shooting the M16.
To the "show me the papers for that" I always say "....show me your LE badge and ID and I'd be happy to".
To those that are simply curious, I'll take the time to explain owning full auto stuff.
If they have factory ammo with them, I will even let them shoot it.
Their full magazine full auto grin is priceless.
I have no time for A holes in my life. I have even had the local police called about the "illegal" machine guns. Always fun to let the investigating cop shoot them. Good PR you know. I always have copies of my Form 4 with me so it is all nice and legal.
I once had to explain what a Form 4 was and show the cop exactly why it was legal by virtue of the gummint making the transfer legal.....THEN he shot it!

Oh hell yes!!! Don't you just love it when the guy next to you willingly shows you how stupid he is?

Beau Cassidy
10-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I love it when folks who obviously go shooting once a year or two act all tacticool and then don't understand why I ask them to put their guns down when the range is cold. At one of the last exchanges the guy said at a real range like Camp Perry (which he said he shot at....) he could handle his rife when the line was cold. I informed him he wasn't at Camp Perry and that if he did handle a rifle like that at Camp Perry it would get him kicked off the line. He even tried to complain to the RO I was handling rifles with people downrange. Sorry for him but I had to point to my cased rifles.

TCTex
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok, WOW…

I pulled my targets one time and after we got back to the bench and the line was hot I started adjusting the scope on my 16.5in 308 Encore shortgun. (yes, I know… that is an oxymoron…) The gentleman came up to me and started instructing me on how I should make my adjustments stating, “well this looks about 3in so you need to…) I just smiled and got out my tape measure and made my adjustments.
Come on, I was shooting better groups with my Handgun that he was with his Rifle. I don't like the stereo type of just because I am only 30, and I have a pile of custom TC’s on the table, doesn’t mean I am not competent enough to make basic adjustments.

I had a similar experience with an AR as listed above. This RH’d shooter went to a “T” style bench and proceeded to sit on the right side and shoot aggressively at his 6in steel plate at 100 yards. He was peppering me with 223 brass. I had enough and grabbed my 17in 375 H&HAI barrel that has a 2in Muzzle Tamer on the end of it. Laid it across my sand bag and shot his steal plate. At the shoot my carpet had to be adjusted, dust went everywhere, the steel plate was struck and sent 6ft back into the bank breaking the bungee cords in the process, and the Range Officers started laughing behind me. I actually heard on of them say, “Well, I was going to say something but I think he handled it better than I could have…” The shooter next to me put his gun down and made a comment about getting the idea.
That is one of the few times I 100% welcomed the concussion of that beast when i went off!!!!

People who don't like blackpowder when I am shooting a muzzleloader. If I wanted to shoot that other c@#$ I would.
LOL… How about this?
When I go up to the line and say “Flint Lock,” It isn’t for my health and I am actually being nice!!!

bob208
10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
the if you are shooting a .30 cal can i shoot your target with my .22?

Fishman
10-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Anybody else enjoy the irony of the folks complaining about other shooters judging their equipment and then complaining about "mallninjas"? I don't care what they are shooting as long as they are safe. The more people shooting the better.

So I guess my pet peeve is experienced shooters complaining about new shooters and being rude to them. They may act like a dumb--- because they just don't know any better. I tend to cut them some slack.

walltube
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
That 200 yd. round trip to the portable outhouse from the firing line. It gets longer each trip. I blame the increasing distance on tectonic plate movement. What else could it be?....;)

DSL1138
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Had this one happen to me today. I was reloading some 308's, and I was changing out the rod on my Ram Prime Die from Small Pistol Primers to Large Rifles. I got the rod out, loosened the thing up, and this *POP!* The Rod's spring shot out, and I tore my room up trying to find it, and no luck.

alamogunr
10-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Most of the irritants posted had to do with behavior at the range. I guess I'm lucky. I usually go to the range during the week when everyone except myself and other retired folk are working. Even when guys take a day off and come to the range, they have never exhibited the types of behavior I have read about here. I've had other shooters offer to loan me earmuffs when I forgot to bring a pair for a guest, or loan a screwdriver when a minor adjustment had to be made. I have a check list now.

I almost said that one of the things that irritated me was shooters that came on an off day and picked up all the loose brass left laying around. But then that would have included me. I was just put out because they didn't leave any for me.