PDA

View Full Version : I finally tried Imperial Sizing wax

jonk
10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
After hearing everyone rave about this stuff, I finally picked up a can to try.

-You need very little. Wipe your fingers over the lube, then over the case, and done.
-Ergo it is very cost effective.

Dislikes:
-The way people carry on about this I expected to have (practically) the weight of the press handle do all the work. In fact I found I needed MORE force to resize the case than I do with either Dillon lube or Lee Lube (my favorite personally). I wasn't anywhere near worried about sticking a case, it was still pretty smooth, but was hardly what I'd call a miracle lube for "massive case reforming." which some people use it for.
-I hate lubing one at a time.
-Still oil based and needs final cleaning after resizing to remove.

SO one tin will likely last decades, but I'll keep using what I like and use this just as the occasional 'what the heck' product.

Moondawg
10-15-2012, 11:36 AM
To each his own poison. For a large number of cases I use Hornady spray on lube. For my benchrest cases, like 99.9% of benchrest shooters I use Imperial. For case forming I use Imperial. Imperial is actully quicker and easier to clean off a case than many other lubes.

runfiverun
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
imperial is almost as good as the lanolin castor oil lube i make myself.
and about on par with the 91% rubbing alcohol lanolin spray i use.
it is pretty good when used on a bore mop on the inside of a case neck, but then again so are the other two and so is graphite.

dragonrider
10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
If I run out of Dillon spray lube, I use Honady One Shot. I have use Imperial and found it to very good, but I dislike lubing with my fingers, prefer to spray. Jonk if you think it takes more effort then you are not using enough Imperial.

trixter
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
After hearing everyone rave about this stuff, I finally picked up a can to try.

-You need very little. Wipe your fingers over the lube, then over the case, and done.
-Ergo it is very cost effective.

Dislikes:
-The way people carry on about this I expected to have (practically) the weight of the press handle do all the work. In fact I found I needed MORE force to resize the case than I do with either Dillon lube or Lee Lube (my favorite personally). I wasn't anywhere near worried about sticking a case, it was still pretty smooth, but was hardly what I'd call a miracle lube for "massive case reforming." which some people use it for.
-I hate lubing one at a time.
-Still oil based and needs final cleaning after resizing to remove.

SO one tin will likely last decades, but I'll keep using what I like and use this just as the occasional 'what the heck' product.

I usually do about 100 at a time by smearing it all over the cases in a big bowl. (My wife says it is like mixing bread dough, same activity). Then run them through the reloading process and wipe them down as a final inspection

stubshaft
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
It works for me and I've been using it for so long that I can't see a reason to do so now.

Hardcast416taylor
10-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I use Imperial for sizeing mil. brass, case forming and on fired brass I acquire. I settled on Dillon pump spray quite a few years back for use on brass I fire in my guns. I`m almost to the bottom of a can of Imperial I bought 20+ years back.Robert

1Shirt
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
It works, and I don't fix what works!
1Shirt!

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-16-2012, 11:26 AM
About twenty years ago, I wrote an article for Precision Shooting Magazine on making factory brass closer tolerance in the neck for factory rifles.

I made 99 22-250 cases out of 100 308 cases, lost the second one with too much lube.

I usually save mine for important things, like making 505 Gibbs out of Gibbs cylindrical brass.

Got-R-Did
10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
It is the only lube I use/endorse. As was said above, it really comes down to personal preference. My inner A-Rententive Child doesn't mind the individual lubing/wiping down of each of my cartridge cases for any of my extensive loading ventures. If it is speed you want and mass quantities of a particular case such as .223, .308, .30-06; contact this fine Gentleman for your needs. He does exemplary work!
www.custombrassprocessing.com
I am getting ready to send him a batch of 1,500 Lake City National Match and Match M852 once fired to process for my M1A. The Federal Gold Medal Match brass out of my LTR will be done by me one at a time to quell that Inner Child.
Got-R-Did.

jcwit
10-16-2012, 12:27 PM
For handgun cases I use Blaster spray Teflon. I know, one does not need to lube handgun cases but I like easy and it does make sizing easier.

For rifle cases use either Mink Oil, Imperial, or Unique, whichever I happen to grab first. I normally rinse the lube off with gas, it cleans the cases quickly, and evaporates fast. I know, I know, it flammable, but its also flammable when I fill my lawnmower.

geargnasher
10-16-2012, 02:19 PM
For handgun cases I use Blaster spray Teflon. I know, one does not need to lube handgun cases but I like easy and it does make sizing easier.

For rifle cases use either Mink Oil, Imperial, or Unique, whichever I happen to grab first. I normally rinse the lube off with gas, it cleans the cases quickly, and evaporates fast. I know, I know, it flammable, but its also flammable when I fill my lawnmower.

One needs to lube handgun brass if using steel dies.

Gear

jcwit
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
One needs to lube handgun brass if using steel dies.

Gear

Correct, I should have made note of that, Thanks.

AviatorTroy
10-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I only neck size 90% of the time and for that my process is to wipe some ISW on a sponge and give the sponge a very brief squirt of wd40 which just helps it soak in a little. Then when I am sizing my brass I just wipe the neck over the sponge. Also I only lube every 3rd or 4th case.

danski26
10-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Imperial is the lube i use if hand lubing.

DHurtig
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
I use and like Imperial lube, but it is very easy to over apply and get oil dents. Dale

Brasso
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I still roll mine on an ink pad with RCBS case lube. Tumble in corncob media after.

Sam

bigjason6
10-20-2012, 06:09 PM
I use and like Imperial lube, but it is very easy to over apply and get oil dents. Dale

Any time I get an oil dent, I pop it back out by pulling the trigger :)

crabo
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I thought ISW was basically lanolin. Am I wrong?

Rick N Bama
10-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Even when sizing handgun brass I like to use just a smidgen of Imperial every 10 cases or so. It sure makes life easier! For rifle brass I use Dillon spray or the RCBS pad.

Rick

km101
10-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Yep, one can will last decades! I've had mine since '75 and I still cant see the bottom of the can. For every day use I use Hornady One Shot, but you cant beat the ISW for case forming.

softpoint
10-21-2012, 07:50 PM
I like Imperial OK, but I like Hornady Unique a little better, I think.

smoked turkey
10-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I use Imperial mostly and at times I still use the old roll em on a lube pad routine. I find if I just rub my finger across the wax so you really don't feel like you are putting on enough lube that it is about right. I usually do several cases at one time turning the case between my finger and thumb. I then size them and wipe them off before doing another batch. It works good for me and I like it better than the pad or the spray.