PDA

View Full Version : 44mag primersd

10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
for a ruger sbh 44 mag., what primer do most of you use? i have been using fed lp mag. is there any thing else better?

44man
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
for a ruger sbh 44 mag., what primer do most of you use? i have been using fed lp mag. is there any thing else better?
Since around 1960 or so I have used nothing but the Fed 150 primer.
In 1956 I used 2400 powder and mag primers BECAUSE THE BOOKS SAID SO. Then I thought when 296 came out that I had to use the mag primer for the same reason.
I started to shoot better with the 150, cutting groups by 2/3's. Fed has used nothing but the 150 in all their factory loads.
When I got into IHMSA heavy the 150 took me from unclassified to International fast
Hundreds of tests always leaves me with the 150 over anything else. It actually reached the point that if you hand me a bunch of ammo, after I shoot it, I will tell you what primer you used.

mdi
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
My SBH gets CCI LP, Winchester LP, and Wolf LPM, in that order. I've never had a failure to fire. As far as Magnum vs Standard primers I'd suggest to a new reloader to use what your book says.

BRobertson
10-15-2012, 01:17 PM
In the mid 70s a friend of mine had an early generation chrono.

He came to visit me in the small Bush town here in Alaska that I was stationed

at the time with the State.

Things were slow during the winter, so we had lots of time to experiment!!

One of the things we did was to test primers, both standard and magnum,

in various guns, in both .357mag and .44 mag.

It was not cold by Alaska standards, 15 degrees, but it was interesting to see

the results!!

We used H110 and CCI primers.

Bottom line:

In the .357, there was little difference between the mag and standard primers,

we could not say that there was a definite advantage for the mag primers in

the cold.

The .44s were a different story,

An average of 75 ft ps faster for the CCI mag large pistol primers over their

standard primers .

I have always used mag primers with H110 and 296.

I have never had a problem with ignition in cold weather, down to probably

-30 .

The coldest temp I have shot an animal with my .44 is probably -20(February

moose tag)

Also at zero degrees for a December MT. goat

I now use the Federal Magnum Match primers and CCI 350

Bob

44man
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
In the mid 70s a friend of mine had an early generation chrono.

He came to visit me in the small Bush town here in Alaska that I was stationed

at the time with the State.

Things were slow during the winter, so we had lots of time to experiment!!

One of the things we did was to test primers, both standard and magnum,

in various guns, in both .357mag and .44 mag.

It was not cold by Alaska standards, 15 degrees, but it was interesting to see

the results!!

We used H110 and CCI primers.

Bottom line:

In the .357, there was little difference between the mag and standard primers,

we could not say that there was a definite advantage for the mag primers in

the cold.

The .44s were a different story,

An average of 75 ft ps faster for the CCI mag large pistol primers over their

standard primers .

I have always used mag primers with H110 and 296.

I have never had a problem with ignition in cold weather, down to probably

-30 .

The coldest temp I have shot an animal with my .44 is probably -20(February

moose tag)

Also at zero degrees for a December MT. goat

I now use the Federal Magnum Match primers and CCI 350

Bob
Cold might need mag primers but I don't think that was the question. Mag always fires the load of course.
It is accuracy that changed my mind and I have shot standard with H110 and 296 to very cold.
It is a crazy thing that started because the .44 was called a "MAGNUM." The case is not that large and primer pressure can move bullets/boolits before ignition.
I shot this test at about -15*. I still see the 150 is better then the 155. But you might need the mag in super cold.
You must forget more velocity with the mag, it means nothing for accuracy. Why does more velocity mean it is better?
You are in a position to test with extreme cold so please do. Accuracy and sure ignition with 296 and H110.

44man
10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Lost picture, here it is.

BRobertson
10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
His question was pretty general, I didn't see anything specific about accuracy either!!

I am a hunter, I use open sights , so far optics are only for range use.

My loads are plenty accurate for my use, all my revolvers will do 3 to 4 inches

at 100 yds . I know they would do better with optics, but to me a handgun is

an open sighted revolver, period!!

The difference between a 1 inch group and a 3"inch group really doesn't

matter to me from a practical standpoint for my use. I try to keep my hunting shots
to 100 to 125 yrds generally. 50 yrds for bear.
I have shot both of my Dall Sheep at less than 100yds. My 40 1/2"" Dall was
about 25yds!!
Although I have to admit that I have shot deer and MT. Goat further.

I know that someday( I am now 61) I may need to use an optic for everything,

but for now I will continue with what has worked for me.

As far as the increased velocity, to me it is proof that the powder is burning more

efficiently. That can be only a good thing!!!

Although when you are shooting a brown bear with a 300gr LBT , every little bit helps!!

Bob

BRobertson
10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Our discussion has me thinking that maybe this winter, I will do some testing!!

I need to get some updated skyscreens for my 25 yr old PACT chrono.

I have a new FA 83 .44 mag that is at Magnaport, and Kenny is doing a

trigger job, inverted crown, bead blast, etc. I am NOT getting it ported!!

He is sending a TSOB mount so I can use it to test some loads , which will work

to test the different primers.

I will also do some experimenting with my old, trusty Redhawks!!

I don't have scope mounts for them, but I seem to do ok with them.

Maybe an excuse to get a Super Red Hawk. I had a 9"" Super when they first came out.
I shot a nice winter (early Dec) grizzly with it, it was right on the Canadian Border.

I used an SSK 310 gr, it worked great!!

Bob

fredj338
10-15-2012, 05:59 PM
I have used any std LP for any 44mag load that is NOT H110/W296. My exp has been better w/ a mag rpiemr for those two powders. particularly as the temps drop.

Shuz
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I have used any std LP for any 44mag load that is NOT H110/W296. My exp has been better w/ a mag rpiemr for those two powders. particularly as the temps drop.

I would add WC820 to my list of powders that need a mag primer when the temperature drops.
Like fredj338, I use std lp primers for all other powders.

Mal Paso
10-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Nope!

My testing and Rumor says the Federal Mag Primers (155) aren't hotter, just have a stronger cup. The Large Pistol (150) cup is fairly soft but works just fine up to and including Elmer's Load.

rexherring
10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I've used either Fed or CCI mag primers with H110/296, 4227, or 5744 in my .45 Colt heavy loads with good accuracy. Don't notice a difference in brands. I do think they're hotter than the Winchester.

44man
10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
When you get my age, the Grinch not only stole Christmas, he went through my safe and made off with all of my open sights! :bigsmyl2:
Had to go to Ultra Dots for hunting.
I also use the 150 in my heavy .45 Colt loads with 296 and the CCI 300 also works.
I go to the 155 starting with the .475. The 150 fired all loads with 296 but the 155 was more accurate.
I am always testing primers for accuracy differences. There really IS a difference between the 150 and 155. The CCI 300 and 350 too.
Just test in your conditions, if you don't see a difference, there is no need for you to change. It rarely gets too cold where I live.
Bob, that's some good hunting.
The .44 is an all time great caliber and has always been my favorite.

10-16-2012, 11:10 AM
i will stay with my fed lp mag for now. still have 500. thanks

429421Cowboy
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I have always been treated well by CCI LP's, never saw enough of a difference in the cold over mag's and none of my powders require a mag to set them off. As for accuracy, it takes a better man than i to tell the difference! I have had enough proof from this sight to show me that mag's can blow the bullet and charge out of the case before ignition, and have tened to stay away from them for that reason.

Huntducks
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Either WW LP or CCI LP see no diff in them both.

44man
10-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Either WW LP or CCI LP see no diff in them both.
I actually do. The WLP for standard or mag loads will show less accuracy in the .44. And less in cartridges that need more. I call them a "tweener."

BRobertson
10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
The only thing I have ever used the WLP for is some .44 special with 231 and

.45 auto with power pistol.

Worked well for those!!

Thanks .44 man

Bob

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2012, 04:42 AM
for the most part i use fed standards unless im using slow ball powders then i use cci350s or sometimes ww.

trapper9260
10-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I use always for my 44 Redhawk WLP with blue dot i am thinking of trying to see what rem will do with them ,But as for what is said for someone new do what the manual data says .

44man
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
My choice is just based on accuracy. Some powders in even larger cases do not need a mag primer.
I use a LP mag in my 45-70 revolver rounds because they are more accurate then standard and LR primers.
In my 45-70 BPCR I use a 150 with BP and even put a wad of newspaper over the flash hole to keep powder out.
I did a lot of work with the .454 using all the SR mag primers and starting loads of H110 and 296 had failures. The primer pressure is amazing for how far it will push a boolit and powder into the bore. Fire ran out and powder was just discolored at the very back.
I cut pockets for a LP primer (very hard to get the right fit.) Then even a 150 would fire every load but the 155 had better accuracy.
I loaded a batch very hot, up to 55,000 psi using the 155 without a flat primer, they looked normal. Accuracy across the board was great even with a PB boolit.
Then a friend bought a S&W .45 ACP revolver that shot real bad. I sat and looked at the brass and told him the LP primer is too much and is moving everything out of the brass too soon. I made bushings to take a SP primer and the gun now shoots super.
Primers are important, don't fear working with them. Just use care as you must with any component change.
Shooting the .454 with SR made me keep a brass rod in my shooting bag! [smilie=1: