PDA

View Full Version : need help

wgr
10-14-2012, 11:09 PM
hope this is the right place to post this.I have a 3 cell mag. light that has had the batteries left in and corroded .Any way to clean it out? it is steel. thinks bill

Mk42gunner
10-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I've got one that the first battery in, corroded in place. I haven't managed to get it out yet, and don't really want to destroy the body of the light to fix it.

I have though of using a homemade slide hammer to try to pull the battery out, but I don't have any idea if a screw would hold in a D cell battery or not.

Worst case, save what parts you can and buy another flashlight.

Robert

runfiverun
10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
we used to pour coke on battery corrosion to loosen it up,then a brush to clean it up.
you could try mixing some salt in vinegar to make acetic acid,or try some citric acid.

Recluse
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM
If the batteries are corroded IN the flashlight and you can't even *bang* them out, it's toast--there is no saving it.

If you have the batteries out but wondering how to get the corrosion gone, get yourself some good eye-protection--swim goggles preferred or the old chemistry rubber goggles that form a seal on your face--and a face mask. Use high-pressure compressed air (from an actual compressor and not those little cans of dust-off), and go to town.

After you've blown as much of the corrosion (all white and dusty/flaky) out that you can, mix up one part of baking soda to four or five parts of water and then take some scrap cloth (old t-shirt or dish towel) and make some large "patches." Secure them on the end of the dowel with a rubber band, dunk them in the baking soda/water mix and began swabbing the remaining corrosion out. You'll do best to get the affected areas wet, then let the mix sit and bubble for a minute or two, then repeat.

Once you have all the corrosion out you can, take some cheap rubbing alcohol and repeat the process. This will help expel any remaining water/soda mix.

Back to the compressed air to dry it out good.

I've had to do this on several old police-issue maglites I've collected over the years.

:coffee:

waksupi
10-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I have been known to pour some baking soda mixed with water into the flashlight if the batteries won't come out. Let it set for a few hours, and they will usually be able to be removed one way or the other.

MtGun44
10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Modern batteries are alkaline. Try Lemishine - found at the grocery store - it is a dry
powder additive for dishwashers, so will be near the dishwasher soap.

Mix a teaspoon or so with a gallon of hot water and soak the corroded parts in this.

It is citric acid, but entirely safe, you can drink it if you really wanted to.

Bill

Ickisrulz
10-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Remove the back and the front of the flashlight (see link). Pound them out and clean with baking soda and water. Rinse and dry. It should work again, but the inside of the tube will be corroded and have metal loss--it's OK. I've done this a couple times with Maglites and now only use Duracell batteries.

http://edcforums.com/threads/maglite-problem-can-it-be-fixed.82679/

http://rivergum.net/general/maglite-dissasembly

wgr
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
thinks for the info. the batteries are out just need to clean it

Superfly
10-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Just send it in to maglight and they will usully replace the light for little to no charge as they do or did have a deal going with the batt companys from what i was told by the sales rep that they would eat the cost of the flashlight if it was there batts that did the damage.

I have sent three in and the cost was near nothing

waksupi
10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
Now I'm almost tempted to take my Maglites apart, and put a thin coat of grease on the inside of the tube. Works for battery terminals!

Bad Water Bill
10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Mag lite is a great Co.

Give them a call and they MAY just replace it for free or shipping cost.

I visited their booth and mentioned I had a problem with a Mimi Mag. The rep handed me 6 of each part from the battery thru the reflector and lense. Enjoy yourself he said. Yes it was all FREE

popper
10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
It can be acid or alkaline, both and salts too. Try baking soda, then lemishine. Once the plating is eaten off the springs and such, not much you can do. Grease, other than silicon, will help prevent the bad corrosion before it ever happens.

Mk42gunner
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I am trying the Coke right now.

Robert