PDA

View Full Version : Anybody shooting the NOE 311 247

oldscool
10-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Have any of you shot this in a 300blackout? I have read a lot of discussions, but very little on actual data or group sizes either sub or supersonic, or plain base vs. gas checked.

I see several here have purchased the mold, and would like to hear your experience with it. Does the gas check work well with it being below the neck and stay put without coming off? Should I stay with j-words for supersonic, and just order a pb mold for subs.

Thanks,
oldscool

Moonie
10-15-2012, 02:37 PM
My 300 has never had a j-word through the bore, I load 170, 230, 245 and now a new 155gr spire point mold I'll be playing with.

The 245/247 shoot very well, they can have feeding issues, I have to crimp them over the front band to feed reliably in our 2 300 AR's. So far I've only shot them sub sonic but will be loading them up a bit faster very soon.

library
10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I have shot about 200 rounds through my 8 inch Noveske Barrel (which has only seen cast). I have only shot subsonic and 10.6gr of AA1680 works perfect for me (about 1000fps).

I have only tested the gas checked version with homemade aluminum gas checks. The bore is shiny after shooting. I have loaded some non checked ones but haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

I would recommend water dropping or using harder lead. The bullets get really chewed up going into the chamber when using air cooled wheelweights. I haven't tested the water dropped ones I cast but they are significantly harder and should hold up better.

I can't say much for accuracy, haven't really tested it too much. The gas checks down in the neck haven't been a problem for me and I'm shooting with a suppressor.

oldscool
10-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the answers. I have one of BFG's 16.5 barrels on a bolt gun. Do not have a can yet, but one is on my short list with what appears to be a long paperwork wait. I will just get a mixed mold and try it.

jrayborn
10-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I've been working up a load with the NOE 311-247 and so far out of my 9" SBR using 9.5 grains of WC297 I get right at 1100 FPS with reasonable accuracy but it won't cycle. Just ejects. I don't have my can yet so I plan to hold off on this load for now and work up some supersonics with the NOE 314-129 and see how it goes. So far lots of fun! I suspect that I can use the can and a light buffer to get the subsonic 247 grain loads to cycle but I'm not sure yet.