PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bullet Mold for sale on Ebay

wiljen
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270126395046

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't rifle launch those buddy!

Bret4207
06-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Ouch!!!

357maximum
06-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Isn't that one of the bullets you have to either thumb or finger seat? I also heard you have to really choose your lube on that one REAL carefully.

Shepherd2
06-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I wonder if anyone ever tried to cast boolits in one of those.

357maximum
06-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I wonder if anyone ever tried to cast boolits in one of those.

I am sure some has...there are alot of "FOLKS" in this world willing to try almost anything.

Actually with an eyelet in the top, it would proably make a decent sandy/silty river bottom, catfish fishin sinker.

Jim
06-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I confess I'm a bit sleepy and fuzzy as I've just woken up in the last few minutes, but the first thing I noticed is there's no cylindrical bearing surface area. Am I missing something?
(edit addition)
I just went back and looked again. This time I noticed there's no sprue plate. Could this be a fishing weight mold like the kind used for worming on the bottom? If that be the case, there should be a pin stuck in the middle of each cavity.

357maximum
06-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I confess I'm a bit sleepy and fuzzy as I've just woken up in the last few minutes, but the first thing I noticed is there's no cylindrical bearing surface area. Am I missing something?

The proper title to that auction would be: "Vintage" Pharmacists Suppositiry Mold"......ouch just as Bret posted above.

DLCTEX
06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Where can I get some supository lube? Do they have to be sized to the bore, and what do I slug the bore with? What powder, beans? So many questions and so few answers with this one. Dale

357maximum
06-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Where can I get some supository lube? Do they have to be sized to the bore, and what do I slug the bore with? What powder, beans? So many questions and so few answers with this one. Dale

Take it from someone that has had internal pollyps removed from his "BORE",and recieves way more attention to his "BORE" from his doctors than seems resonable:( ...... you absolutely DO NOT want to know anymore, and I would sure as hell keeps the slugs out of your bore at all costs[smilie=1:

Texasflyboy
06-06-2007, 12:43 PM
The proper title to that auction would be: "Vintage" Pharmacists Suppositiry Mold"......ouch just as Bret posted above.

Correction: "Vintage Pharmacists VETERINARY Suppository mold".

90% of these on eBay are veterinary molds, being that they are .45 or .50 caliber.

Human suppository molds are usually .22 to .30 calber....

For obvious reasons...[smilie=1:

Maven
06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
All, "Bullet Molds" of the kind you're describing appear fairly regularly on E-Bay. I usually write to the sellers telling them what they are and their purpose. Most of them thank me and relist, but one was rather abusive and aptly suited to what he was selling. As for casting bullets in them, I don't think so, for several reasons, some already mentioned: They're not designed for high temperature casting and are not machined with a high degree of precision, given their end use (pun intended). Then too, the cavities are not necessarily round. How do I know? My parents were pharmacists and I have my father's suppository mold on my reloading bench. After reading this thread, I just had to measure it: Each cavity is ~.41" x .46". By contrast, a supermarket brand (Shoprite) glycerin suppository is ~.41" and round. (Do I have too much time on my hands or what?) Btw, given the characteristics of the orifice into which a suppository is to be inserted, 10mm/.45cal. is pretty standard. Veterinary versions or those for people who are real a$$h___s are considerably larger!

Btw, if you stick to the glycerin and beeswax or paraffin formula for suppositories, I suppose you could make a bullet that would fit various straight walled pistol and perhaps rifle cartridges a la "gluelits." We can call them butt bullets and shove them into the case, no?

45nut
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Maven sir,,you are a eloquent man, kudo's on your articulate way to the truth behind these molds. :drinks:

wills
06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Amazing, the expertise available here.

Bret4207
06-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I PM'd the guy that it was a suppository mould. At least I got a "Thanks" in return.

longhorn
06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Maven is right on all counts (I am a pharmacist). Most formulas today use a polyethylene glycol mixture as the base, but they're hygroscopic, so such bullets would have to be shot up pretty quickly.......I use mostly disposable molds--wish I could cast big bullets as fast as I can pour suppositories.