PDA

View Full Version : Some questions regarding Immigrants & their use of firearms

Argentino
10-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

A few days ago I have accepted a working proposal from the company
I work for so in a few weeks I will be moving to the US and living there while working in one of the companyīs facilities.

Since Iīll be living in your country for a couple of months I was wondering if I would be able to visit some gun ranges while staying there.

However, Iīm afraid I dontīk now US regulations regarding the use of firearms by immigrants.

I do have a firearms license in my home country but Iīm afraid it will be of no use in the uS.

I donīt want to buy a firearm (I understand that this is forbidden to any immigrant) I just would like to practice some shooting at local gun ranges while staying there (as I usually do in my home country).

Does anybody knows if this is possible? Do gun ranges allow immigrants with a visa to use their facilities? Should I get some kind of special permit or something similar?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.-

badgeredd
10-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not familiar with the regulations concerning your situation, but I suggest you ask your government offices for assistance. I would guess (purely a guess) that your consulate in the US should have answers. Depending on the state you'll be living in, you may get some clear answers from the local state police. If you were going to be in a rural area, I'd suggest you visit the county sheriff’s department. The ranges may have answers too but I'd check with law enforcement first. Since we have several law officers on the forum, I'd think they may be ablr to point you in the right direction. I hope you enjoy my country while you are here.

Edd

slim1836
10-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I am not aware of public gun ranges asking their customers if they a citizen of the U.S. in order to use the range. Some ranges have rental weapons available, either for gun classes of just plain shooting. Each one is different. I have met people from other countries at my local range.

My suggestion would be to call ranges in the area you will be in (or check on line and/or send them an email) prior to going there in order to see what their policy is.

Good luck and welcome to America.

Slim

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't imagine that target "shooting" by an legal alien with a work visa (I assume that'll be your status) is illegal. But, I suspect, bringing your gun and ammo "legally" to the USA will troublesome if it's not necessary for your work.

Where are you going to be staying ?
Maybe meet up with some castboolit members for shooting fun ?
Jon

runfiverun
10-12-2012, 10:51 AM
we regularly have visitors from china shooting on our range.
you just need someone with a gun that will let you shoot it.
we don't have a "formal" range or a club house or fire arms storage just benches, cover, and target stands.
you have to bring your own stuff.

we either do that or drive out of town a way's and just shoot.

a.squibload
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Probably a "posession" issue, as long as that is OK
for someone on a visa there are ranges that rent guns.
The one I'm thinking of here requires an ID, you could
call ahead to find out what kinds of ID they accept.

Mal Paso
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
US gun laws vary by State. Public Ranges generally do not rent guns but I know several Commercial Ranges in California and Arizona that do. For liability reasons most require ID but I know of no restrictions on non-citizens. Scottsdale Gun Club in Az rents everything up to Belt Fed Machine-guns. There was about 15 minutes of paperwork the first time I shot there but I don't remember any restrictions other than Safe Practices. Check with a Commercial Range in your prospective local.

koehn,jim
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
What area are you going to be in. There are several ranges that rent firearms here even a couple that are indoor for pistol shooting at night.

Blacksmith
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Where you will be living and working is the key because in the US the State and Local laws vary greatly. If you can post what state and city you will be in we can give you better information.

gandydancer
10-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I can find no reason once you are here in the states why you can not go to a range with someone you become friends with who owns and shoots firearms as their guest and shoot any firearm your friend owns. welcome to america. GD

MtGun44
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
State laws are the issue. Federal is pretty clear that legal immigrants have the
same rights under federal law as citizens.

If you are in the northeast, beware, they have all sorts of insane anti-gun laws, which
vary massively from state to state.

If you are in the south or much of west (not Left coast!) and midwest, laws are very
much simpler.

First what city?

Bill

scarry scarney
10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I just looked at the ATF form 4473 ( the form we fill out when we purchase a firearm), and it talks about a a nonresident alien (which you would be considered).

"Question 12. Exceptions to the Nonimmigrant Alien Response: An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business."

I don't know how long you are planning to stay, but the way I read this, if you get a state hunting license, you could even purchase a firearm. Bear in mind, some of the gunshop owners might interpret this differently.

But at the Federal level, there is nothing to prevent you from shooting different guns at a range.

This is also subject to state law......

GOPHER SLAYER
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I have shot with many people from foreign countries at public ranges in California. Some of these people brought their own weapons. I enjoyed shooting and talking with them but I asked no questions. The reason I knew they were from other countries is, they volunteered the information that they were visitors to this country.

Longrider
10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Based on having several coworkers who are foreign nationals and shooters, I can say this is the current interpretation in Texas. You need to have Permanent Resident status (green card) to purchase a firearm. In that case you are treated just like a US citizen. There is no restriction on handling or shooting someone else's firearm with their permission although away from a formal shooting range having a valid hunting license as stated earlier would probably be a good idea. Most shooting ranges here do not rent firearms so the best course is usually to make freinds with someone who enjoys the same style of shooting and tag along with them. This is usually easy to do. Welsome to the States and enjoy your stay!

gbrown
10-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Why don't you tell us where you are headed in the U.S? This would be helpful for people on the forum to help you know what you are facing in the way of local laws of the area you are headed. There also may be someone (forum member) in that area willing to help you. This is a pretty good family atmosphere here, and most are more than willing to help, as you can see from the posts. Might present some opportunities for you.

gandydancer
10-12-2012, 09:21 PM
One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for
the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I have no idea what that means??? one of my dads favorite sayings to my mom was. WHERE'S THE IDIOT?

PS Paul
10-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Several posts above are absolutely correct: it totally depends upon the State in which you are staying. In Washington State, it is actually pretty simple BUT, there is a restriction on purchase of a long gun that one must take the hunter's safety education course, whether hunting or not.... The SAFETY part is the concern. Pistol purchase is done with a State-issed permit which is simple to obtain through a couple of forms. Otherwise, possession, use and even purchase is allowed by resident aliens and non-resident aliens, believe it or not. So, an immigrant from Argentina actually would have more gun rights than a legal CITIZEN of Chicago or San Francisco or New York City, crazy as it sounds.

There is something definitely wrong about the aforementioned places, all places to AVOID! LOL!!!

Argentino
10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi again people and many thanks to all of you for answering my questions.

I have not defined yet where I will be living but I know it will be near Memphis (TN) area.

So I will be looking for gun ranges both in Tennessee or Arkansas.

According to most of your answers best thing I can do is to check with people at local ranges for any regulations that might apply to immigrants having a working visa.

I will also check at the Consulate. I think that will be a good idea too.

However I tend to understand that it shouldnīt be as difficult as I thought in first place. Thatīs good news for me.

Many thanks again to all of you. Your replies were very helpful. Iīm glad to be in this forum.

Circuit Rider
10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Argentino, If you were going to be in E. Tn. we could shoot at my home. Would be great if a member of this forum living near Memphis sees your post. CR

MtGun44
10-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Tenn or Ark will likely be quite friendly as far as gun laws. If you have a green card,
you can probably do a bit of paperwork and buy guns without much problem.

In Memphis, you should be armed. Not kidding.

Bill

Wal'
10-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Tenn or Ark will likely be quite friendly as far as gun laws. If you have a green card,

Bill

Just love the way the rest of us out here get a dose of reality every once in a while. :wink:

Blammer
10-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I wish everyone would read the OP post completely before responding.

Notice he said NOTHING about BRINGING a firearm into the US or the desire to PURCHASE ONE!

all you need to do here in NC is show up to the range, ask to rent a firearm, choose the one you want to try, buy the ammo and shoot it up at the range. no big deal.

Have fun!

Houndog
10-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Bill

Bill is 100% correct about Memphis! If you MUST be in the Memphis area, West Memphis AR is a little better than Memphis TN. Germantown TN and North Mississippi are even better as is Southern Missouri.

Awsar
10-14-2012, 06:04 PM
just contact local ATF office they can be helpful and have all the info you need

ErikO
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
If you are here under a visa (non-resident alien status) you need to pass a hunter safety course and get a hunting license before you can purchase a firearm of any nature, even one that is too low of a caliber to be used for hunting anything larger than a pest.

Establish your residency (as in, having the same address for the length of time required of the state you live in) and feel free to buy any firearm that a Resident Alien or Citizen can.

Most ranges have no issue with non-felons renting guns. Get a US driver's license, establish your living arrangements and enjoy the shooting sports!

Jammer Six
10-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't care about lines on a map, place of birth or immigration status.

You'd be welcome to shoot my weapons with me.

walltube
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Argentino,

I understand your query about a visiting, non-US citizen wanting to enjoy some shooting at a nearby range during their stay. The word "immigrant" in your post, I think, may have been the cause of some confusion.

You are of course not importing any of your own firearms from home, correct? You are wanting to perhaps rent, or borrow an acommodating Cast Boolits member's firearm if available; and make use of a nearby range? Easy enough. This should pose no legal problem in the Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi area surrounding Memphis. There are members here that, hopefully, will lend some Southern hospitality to a Cast Boolit visitor from afar.

I have done such in years past when employed by Bechtel, Fluor, EBASCO, etc. where many project engineers hailed from the U.K., Canada, Australia, Europe sought the same as you. Being US gun laws are (were?) much less restrictive, they took every opportunity to visit any rifle, pistol or skeet range made available to them. Never a problem in Louisiana or any Southern State. Been 20 years or so, but the good memories remain.

Welcome to the USA and heed the warnings about Memphis.
Y.T.,
Harold

How about it Ya'll.

Argentino
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi people and thank you very much for your help.

Maybe I made a mistake when referring to myself as an immigrant. To make things more clear: I will be there just as a non US -citizen, with a working visa and for 4 months more or less. Iīll be working and living there just for that period of time and then Iīll return to my home country. I wonīt be importing any of my own handguns. I just would like to rent some guns to do some target shooting at a range while staying at your country.

Anyway Iīm a little concerned about your warnings about Memphis. I donīt mean to discuss it here in this topic if you donīt want to (perhaps it is a delicate issue- I donīt know). But Iīll really appreciate any further explanations or suggestions that you might have so if you just prefer to PM me I will appreciate it.

Many thanks again to all of you.

gbrown
10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi people and thank you very much for your help.
Anyway Iīm a little concerned about your warnings about Memphis. I donīt mean to discuss it here in this topic if you donīt want to (perhaps it is a delicate issue- I donīt know). But Iīll really appreciate any further explanations or suggestions that you might have so if you just prefer to PM me I will appreciate it.

Many thanks again to all of you.

It's not that it is a delicate subject, I think some people on the forum who might be current or former Memphis residents may be insulted by painting all of Memphis like that. Just a guess on my part. It's like Buenos Aires. The Argentinian government is trying to clean up parts for the upcoming World Cup, I think it is? There are places there that are ruled by drug gangs and you would not be comfortable in. Same with large cities in the U.S, but not necessarily to that extreme.

walltube
10-17-2012, 07:54 PM
To all,
I find it my duty as a responsible human being to offer caveats to visiting foreigners that may be unaware of not-so-safe, dangerous, areas in a large American city. This applies to cities where I have, in the past, lived and worked. Familiarity is key.

At the risk of being labled an alarmist I offer my many years of living in New Orleans as a qualifier. I have also lived and worked in Memphis. I sometimes visit Memphis with family and friends, most recently February 2012. Happiness was I-55 Southbound.

Argentino, you owe us no apology. No hurt feelings here. Our cities are what they are. I am confident all us Americans here at CB wish you a safe, enjoyable and productive working visit. Do not hesitate to ask for advice.

Germantown, to the east of Memphis or NorthWest Mississppi for a better measure of secure surroundings.

Sincerely,
Harold aka Walltube

Jammer Six
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
I've walked/driven/ridden in the Tendeloin, East L.A. and South Chicago.

Never felt threatened. You'll be fine.

Blacksmith
10-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Argentino

There are good and bad parts of cities and towns all over the world and in any country you might visit. The same city will have areas where you can walk in the middle of the night with no concern and other areas where in the middle of the day you risk being robbed or worse. If you could share where you will be working, either the name of the company or the general address, there are people on the forum who could advise you as to specific problems or the advantages in that area. They can probably also recommend places to stay and places to shoot that are convenient to get to.

Most cities and states in this country have very nice areas and interesting things to see and do. I am certain you will enjoy your visit and have more than enough to keep you busy. What things do you enjoy doing in your country? We know you like to shoot but what kind of shooting do you do? Rifles, handguns, shotguns and what type targets bulls-eye, trap shooting or skeet etc.

In this country we also have some interesting shooting competitions that I don't know if they do in other countries. We have cowboy action shooting, metallic silhouette, bowling pin matches, military service rifle, sporting clays and others. If you have never tried some of these maybe this will be your chance. The more you can tell us about your likes and your visit the better we can make suggestions.

DCM
10-17-2012, 10:09 PM
If you see a lot of businesses/houses with bars on the windows and doors you are in a bad part of town.
If you see a lot of boarded up houses you are in the bad part of town.
If you see a lot of poorly kept up houses you are in the bad part of town.
If you must be in those parts of town make sure your gas tank is full so you will not have to stop for gas(I lost a co-worker that way):sad:, avoid all but the mandatory stops, Leave yourself an out in traffic and at stop lights.
If possible visit those areas early in the AM as many of the residents won't be awake yet, not always true but it usually helps.

Blacksmith
10-18-2012, 10:45 AM
And lock your car doors and keep your windows up when driving in bad parts of town.

Argentino
10-18-2012, 11:36 PM
OK people thanks again.

I guess that all my concern was because some of you suggested that I should be armed. Iīm aware that is a relative normal thing to you to carry firearms.

But in my country is quite different because the Government here allow us to keep guns but they donīt allow us to carry them . It sounds ridiculous I know. But you can only move your guns from your home to the range or to a hunting trip but always unloaded and locked up in closed gun cases.

So being armed (to carry a loaded weapon with you) at my country is a big issue since it is only allowed when you can prove to your Government that your life is in risk by an imminent danger (you need to sign several statements explaining your needs for carrying a firearm). So I guess that is why I started to had some concerns. Anyway is clear for me now that is quite different of what I thought in the beggining.

By delicate issues I just meant what gbrown mentioned earlier: I didnīt want to upset any Memphis citizen by making inappropriate questions. I just wanted to know if there was something I should be aware of. It is clear for my now that like any other big city, Memphis has some good and some not-quite-good areas to be in. Just as it is in my home country for sure. I just need to pay attention thatīs all.

I appreciate all your help. Iīm sure Iīll have a nice stay :)

Jammer Six
10-19-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm sure you'll have a nice stay.

The vast majority of citizens here do not carry weapons. There is a huge, huge amount of life here that is not violent, armed or dangerous.

Welcome.