PDA

View Full Version : Low Temp Antimony ?

buck1
07-19-2005, 12:41 AM
When I alloy in antimony I first get it to about 1200F then add the same part by wt of lead. I then mix and pour , mix and pour, etc.
The antimony man sell antimony and flux.

Do I read it right ,that antimony can be alloyed at 625F? :o
Or have I mis read it??
Thanks...Buck

felix
07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Buck, the flux you use must keep metal oxides from forming at a certain heat level, to give enough time for the elementals to join together. Time and heat and the two elements are the only variables in an inert atmosphere. Adding "earthly" oxgyen to the equation causes the problems. We must find a flux to grab this oxygen at the same temperature surrounding the two elements at or above the heat of "fusion". That is what is going on in a nutshell, and if someone has figured out what you are wanting to do, go ahead and use those methods. Use the antimony man's advice and goods. ... felix

Greg5278
07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
The antimony man has antimony to alloy at 600-650F. I think uses a special flux to prevent the oxygen intrusion at the low temp. I have not used it, but spoke with him about a few years ago. He said that you don't really want to heat the lead over 1100F to prevent Fumes, that would be toxic. He wears a full respirator to avoid the fumes, and then antimony dust which is very toxic.
What alloy are you trying to make, Linotype? Greg

Willbird
07-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I have been wondering about something, if what is building up on the top of our lead pots is in fact an OXIDE, what if you enclosed the top of the pot and filled that area with an inert gas like c02 , nitrogen, or even argon (has potential hazards due to being heavier than air).

This would not be practical on a small scale, but when one sets down to make 2000 bullets or more before getting back up I would think it would improve quality.

with a two pot setup one above the other nothing but un oxidised metal would enter the bottom pot if the controlled atmosphere area was enclosed between the two pots.

Bill

grumble
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
"...what if you enclosed the top of the pot and filled that area with an inert gas like c02..."

Seems like that would be easy enough to try out. A plastic jar with a tube, and a piece of dry ice. The dry ice would create CO2, and the tube could direct it to the surface of the melt. CO2 is heavier than air, so it should form a layer on top of the melt. If you think convection currents dilute the CO2 too much, a couple drops of water on the dry ice will make a nice fog so you can see if the melt surface stays covered or not.

If nothing else, it would be fun to do.

felix
07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Your idea has merit, Willbird. Grumble's idea would be fun to try, but it just could be that CO2 might turn out to be the wrong gas for the job. The wrong gas shouldn't make the problem worse because it will be on the surface and not bubbling through the melt. Finding the correct gas would be a challenge because of its availability in small enough quantities. ... felix

felix
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Making linotype will be fun also, but be prepared not to have made it before a day's worth of work. Linotype is an exact percentage of lab grade lead, antimony, tin, and that percentage would be the difficult thing to come up with in your particular, personal setting. You've made lino when the slush stage is zero for that sitting. ... felix

buck1
07-19-2005, 10:16 PM
I didnt put that too well.
If I use the antimony mans flux and antimony. can I melt straight antimony in to my, or any alloy at 625ish deg. ? Or do I have to get it to about 1200F to melt it as I have been doing it?
Sorry about the bad wording....Buck

KYCaster
07-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Buck: You don't need high temp. to alloy your Antimony. It will disolve in lead at low temps. Just like sugar in water, you don't have to melt the sugar to get it to disolve, it works with cold water; same with Sb/Pb. Trust the Antimony man, he knows what he's talking about. The only problem I've had with his system is that his flux is hygroscopic (is that really a word?), it soaks up water like a thirsty sponge and here in the Ohio River Valley where the humidity rarely gets below 75% I have to dry it in the oven to make it work so I've developed my own system.
I don't know what form your Sb is in, so I hesitate to advise you. If you PM me we can discuss details.

Jerry

44man
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
The antimony man's flux works and I have no problem getting antimony melted at low temps. I keep it in a tight jar in the basement where the humidity is less then 50% all year. Just keep it dry.

kenjuudo
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Buck, I'm alloying pure antimony into lead/ww without high temps or special flux. I have found that wood ash is a great aid in getting rid of that nasty slag from the antimony.

My efforts in duplicating foundry type seem to work acording to my hardness tester.

jim

buck1
07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I am humbled!
I would not have thought it could be done ,but there it is! !
Everybody mark this date on the calander! Years from now, you can say..."Yes I was there when he made that very first mistake!" YEA RIGHT!! LOL
Thanks everybody!!....Buck