PDA

View Full Version : 45-70

Gibson
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img840/3332/picturesandlexiesabrat0.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3332/picturesandlexiesabrat0.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I was shocked at how fantastic this gun is! It was made in 1975.

Anyway, it has a MG barrel and I will be requesting help very soon. Slug the bore, try and and find a mold that will probably have to be .460+, and go from there. . . :)

I sent a fellow here a pm and he's up for any questions I may run into but I may need some of the collective wisdom as well.

That is all, you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming.

jmort
10-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Max that gun out and report back on the recoil.

Gibson
10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
LOL!

Once I get the proper casting ironed out, it's Mary Poppins only loads ;)

leftiye
10-12-2012, 05:00 AM
I bought one of those in about 1975, and promptly got rid of it.

Gibson
10-12-2012, 06:17 AM
I bought one of those in about 1975, and promptly got rid of it.

You should have traded the gun for some common sense.

A guy posts an image of his new gun that he's proud of and the best you can do is this puerile trash?

steg
10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
+1 with leftiye. With jacketed it was very accurate, with cast it was terrible..

Gibson
10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
+1 with leftiye. With jacketed it was very accurate, with cast it was terrible..

Wow, another one who simply wants to belittle.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/boolit-casting/71287-cast-bullets-micro-groove-barrels.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130963

StrawHat
10-12-2012, 06:26 AM
And yet lots of fellows are getting good results with boolits. There are some Ranch Dog styles that work well as do other molds. Good luck and listen to all the comments. Figure out what mistakes caused some to fail and don't make the same ones.

Gibson
10-12-2012, 06:32 AM
And yet lots of fellows are getting good results with boolits. There are some Ranch Dog styles that work well as do other molds. Good luck and listen to all the comments. Figure out what mistakes caused some to fail and don't make the same ones.

No worries there. BABore has already agreed to help me.

These guys that want to come into a thread and throw out one liners because it's the internet really upset me. If someone makes a post with images of their new gun why would I possibly want to chime in with something negative. Unspoken thoughts are perfectly acceptable.

I am reaching the end with these internet jerks.

Gibson
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
I didn't start a thread to ask opinions on the gun's ability to shoot cast. I was simply showing it off. I did type that this: "Anyway, it has a MG barrel and I will be requesting help very soon."

The verb tense should be a hint. . .

Common courtesy isn't too common anymore and being on the internet makes it pretty routine to quip.

Enough. My BP is going up over some nimrod on the internet. It's my own stupidity.

Adios.

44man: I'm gone. I'm going to join Bret and cease to post.

rhbrink
10-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Great looking gun but I hope that you don't give up on us I would love to have one and it would only shoot boolits. Post on the Lever Gun forums and you'll get much better response and help.

Richard

357shooter
10-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Great looking gun! Have fun working up the loads and getting it into the zone with boolits.

I think there's a 45/70 lever action in my future too.

softpoint
10-12-2012, 07:24 AM
One of my 45/70's is a micro groove, not quite as early a model as that, but close. It shoots boolits just fine. And I didn't go to a special mold, RCBS 405 GC. is what I started out with in that rifle, >30 years ago, and while I have a bunch of other molds now, and several other 45/70's, that was the only .45 caliber mold I had back then. I used 3031 powder, cast my boolits pretty hard, (water quenched,too) and kept the velocity about 1400ish. I believe the gascheck design helped too. :-)

largom
10-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I have a Marlin just like yours and my son-in-law has one also. They are both part of the Most Accurate guns we own with jacket and cast boolits. If your gun is like mine it will be very easy to get accurate cast boolit loads for. Our guns really like the RCBS 405 FN boolit as well as the LBT 460-400-M with Varget powder. Other powders to try would be IMR-3031, H-4895, RL-7, and IMR-4198. I have several 45-70's but the Marlin is my favorite.

Larry

gunseller
10-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Nice rifle. I have one that is a litt;e newer, it is one of the first with the darn safety. It shoots great with jword and cast boolits. The cast are ACWW lubed with my own mix over a lot of IMR 3031. I have gotten up to around 2000 fps with cast boolits and it still shoots great. Being behind it will get your attention. Keep us informed as to your progress with that fine rifle and let fools be fools.
Steve

44man
10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Larry listed some good powder choices but 4198 seemed to make more recoil. Varget and 3031 would be what I would start with.
I love Varget and use it in calibers like the 7BR and 7R where it is not supposed to work.
Fit first for the MG, then an easy start to the boolit.
Personally I would rather be a light skinny guy then the solid belly I have when shooting that one. [smilie=l: My 12# BPCR has beat me silly from the bench! :holysheep

Bullshop
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I too have an early straight stocked Marlin 45/70. I have given it the pet name B00 because of the serial number begins with b zero zero.
B00 has spent so much time cradled in the crook of my arm that it has seemingly become an extension of my arm. It has been there on many ocasion that anything less than total familiarity may have not been enough to get me out of a tight jam with tooth and claw intent on my harm.
B00 is my best friend in a firearm and while life is in me I will not be without it.
Dont even get me started in the cartridge and its ability to adapt itself to any substance that could be distantly construed as gun powder or its versatility of load that can transform it from a mouse to a moose gun.
There, feel better now?

MK1MICAH
10-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Gibson
You are among friends here. Dont mind the PANTYS! I Load mint to the max I get a kick out of it.
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/MK1MICAH/FIREARMS-RESTORATIONS/photo.jpg

And It only shoots Boolits at .459 and groups fantastic. Ill never get rid of her.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/MK1MICAH/FIREARMS-RESTORATIONS/100_3514.jpg

MK1MICAH
10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Oh BTW.
Get Varget -IMR4891- Trail Boss -Unique. Rem brass and primers and you will be all set well for now, um at least till christmas

44man
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I too have an early straight stocked Marlin 45/70. I have given it the pet name B00 because of the serial number begins with b zero zero.
B00 has spent so much time cradled in the crook of my arm that it has seemingly become an extension of my arm. It has been there on many ocasion that anything less than total familiarity may have not been enough to get me out of a tight jam with tooth and claw intent on my harm.
B00 is my best friend in a firearm and while life is in me I will not be without it.
Dont even get me started in the cartridge and its ability to adapt itself to any substance that could be distantly construed as gun powder or its versatility of load that can transform it from a mouse to a moose gun.
There, feel better now?
Wonderful way to put it. The 45-70 will never go away, it is just too good.

TAMU74
10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
My 1976 1895 with microgroove barrel shoot cast boolets quite well. My go to bullets are ranchdog 350 gr. gas checked and an old Lyman 300 gr 457191 plain base. Both are sized to .460 and I used both Accuarte Arms 5744 and H322 powder with very good results. I don't load too hot, keeping velocity in the 1200-1400 fps range.

MtGun44
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
It will very likely work very well with boolits. Recoil will be what you choose, from mild to
retina detaching. A 405 gr boolit at 2100 is possible but NOT fun to shoot. A 300 gr at
1000-1200 is fun. A 405 at 1750 will kill anything on this continent decisively.

Slug the bore, expect that you will need "larger than standard", since most MG bbls seem
to. If you size about .002 or .003 over groove diam expect good or very good results.

This gun and cartridge are popular well over 150 yrs from adoption because they are
fun, effective and worth having.

Bill

Swede44mag
10-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Traded for one in Stainless Steel lever eveloution it is a lot of fun to shoot and it shoots cast better than jacketed so far.
I believe I tried to push it to fast thus costing accuracy.
If the price of gas ever goes back down I am looking forward to more testing.
I also am planning on taking it deer hunting again.
I did put a kickeeze magnum recoil pad on to dampen the felt recoil and make the rifle more to my length of pull.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy I have mine.

Dframe
10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I'd love to have one like it. At present I only have 5, 45-70s and NO marlins. I've tried about every load you can think of in the last 35 years. The only thing I DON'T do, is try to turn this fine cartridge into some sort of 45 magnum. Most of the guns chambered for it will quickly beat your shoulder into a bruised pulp if you do. Besides the cartridge is superb as is. Congrats on your excellent rifle.

waynem34
10-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Nice rifle.I would love to have one.I hope you enjoy it and have tons of fun ,I know I would.I have only a single shot 45-70 at the moment and really want a lever action like yours.Things are kinda pricey now, so waiting to find somewhat of a deal.Keep us in the know.Thanks for posting pics of your new weapon.

FergusonTO35
10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow, nice rifle. I have on just like it. It does great with a 300 grain boolit over 46 grains Hodgdon Varget. A word of warning: if yours has the curved buttplate it is very painful with any thing other than powder puff loads. I got a Guide Gun stock and forend from Fleabay which makes it much easier to shoot and allows me to keep the original wood as it is.

PS Paul
10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Oooohhhh, Micah. That extended eye-relief scope sure looks like the thing to have on that levergun! Nice lookin' boolits too.....

I am surprised more guys don't put those extended eye-relief scopes on those brush-busters! I had a .458 win mag (model 70 bolt action) and did the same thing with the forward-mounted scope. Neat rifle, I kinda regret gettin' rid of it.....

PS Paul
10-13-2012, 04:58 PM
It was the "retina detatching" loads that MT Gun44 refers to that prompted me to dump the .458. I used to download it with cast a lot too, but money was needed at the time. Still, one of my regrets in life as I look back.

BUT, the future is bright and MORE GUNS will come my way! Sweet pics there, Gibson. Don't let the naysayers get ya down!! I suffer that sometimes too and it makes me just want to throw my arms up and surrender, but the other GREAT guys out there-especially on this forum- keep bringin' me back.

HangFireW8
10-13-2012, 07:32 PM
The OP has declared his departure yet the help keeps rolling in!

Gibson, if you do come back, don't let the rots get you down. Nice gun, btw.

HF

phaessler
10-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice...I have my 1895cowboy, and am constantly looking for an older micro-groove model 1895 45-70 to round out he herd of Marlin Levers I have (22Mag, 44mag, 30-30).
I am particularly fond ofthe sights ;) I use a williams rear sight and I fit a Lyman 17 to the front.

Pete

Gibson
10-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Listen guys

I REALLY appreciate the responses. I mean that. Someone told me to just take a look and I am humbled.

I overreacted. I did that twice this week. NOT an excuse but I was worried Wednesday night and Thursday night both over my son's chemo and his cough. He does chemo on Thursday and had a BAD cough, but for some odd reason he didn't see Dr. Pui, only a nurse and then went to the med room for chemo, so no doc to ask about this cough. I was up all night Wednesday and Thursday night. Finally, on Friday evening it has let up. Just allergies, I guess.

Sorry.

Sincere thanks for the compliments, at the time I wanted to hear something positive :)

I'm back.

HangFireW8
10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Welcome back!

HF

jmort
10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Always good to hear from you and updates about your son. Will keep up the prayers. We all know the most important things in life are all about our families and friends. God Bless.

knifemaker
10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I have a Marlin 1895 LTD-V that will shoot 1 inch groups or less at 100 yards with 4 different loads. One load is the Hornady 350 gr. FN over 43 gr. of IMR-4198. The cast boolits loads are a Ranch Dog 350 gr. with gas check and a NOE 350 gr. plain base over 43 or 44 gr. of IMR-4198. My rifle likes .460 dia. boolits. At .459 or .461 the groups will open up a little bit. The above listed load is 1800 fps and has taken 4 bison with one shot.
You best bet is to slug your bore groove dia. and use boolits 1-2 thousands over that measurement. If you do not cast your own boolits, find a boolit maker that sells boolits larger then the normal .459. Most marlins do well with .460 dia boolits, but some rifles need larger or smaller to do it's best.

44man
10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Listen guys

I REALLY appreciate the responses. I mean that. Someone told me to just take a look and I am humbled.

I overreacted. I did that twice this week. NOT an excuse but I was worried Wednesday night and Thursday night both over my son's chemo and his cough. He does chemo on Thursday and had a BAD cough, but for some odd reason he didn't see Dr. Pui, only a nurse and then went to the med room for chemo, so no doc to ask about this cough. I was up all night Wednesday and Thursday night. Finally, on Friday evening it has let up. Just allergies, I guess.

Sorry.

Sincere thanks for the compliments, at the time I wanted to hear something positive :)

I'm back.
We all care and understand your strain. I don't care if you get out of sorts once in a while. You still have all of us to depend on.
More prayers then you ever expected are on the way.

MikeS
10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Gibson:

Don't worry about the jerks that only have negative comments. Of course I doubt I would ever own a gun like that, but only because I can't afford it, and no other reason! I just got a 45-70 myself, an old rolling block. Now that you have a gun that shoots a black powder cartridge, you need to get some FFg black powder, and try it in your rifle, you might find that you like shooting the powder the cartridge was designed for! And I'm told if you load it with the carbine load (55gr FFg with a 405gr boolit) it's a fairly soft recoiling round. However you choose to enjoy your new rifle (shooting smokeless, or black, or some of each), just enjoy it! But if you do choose to shoot it with the more primitive powder, make sure you check with the folks in the BPCR forum to learn the proper way to do it, BP is only dangerous if done wrong, but done right it can be lots of fun! Of course the reason most BPCR rifles are single shots is to give the clouds of smoke time to clean! :)

Your son is in my thoughts, and I hope he has a speedy & full recovery.

rhouser
10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I love my 45-70s. I have one HighWall and one 1895 Marlin. The secret to the MG marlin barrels is the diameter of your boolit. Expect to be sizing at about .460. To get out of the gate you might try some storebought lazercast .459's but I shoot a
boolits sized at .460.

For a fun afternoon, try a double handfull of 405 gr boolits using 23.0 grains for sr4759 or 14.0 grains of Unique. Some are getting great accuracy out of 13.0 - 13.5 grains of Trail boss with a 405 cast sized at 460. These are all low velocity (1100-1200 fps) loads, but, with many "one hole" 5 shot groups at 50 yards and recoil that a 9 y/o girl can handle.

I use 3031 to bring this round up to a bear killer and then the recoil is there to be enjoyed/endured, but, the gun will do the job. There are a variety of powders that are proven hunting producers, so you will find your Marlin is not hard to load for.

I love my Marlin Leverguns and shoot all of them with boolits. If you want more on the Marlin Microgroove specifically, check out the 45-70 sub forum on the MarlinOwners site. I am Not sending you away from Boolits, because this forum is the best source of casting and shooting cast in anything. I am just saying that you will find a high concetration of marlin 45-70 shooters in the marlinowners site.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on a really Versitile and Powerful hunting rifle.
rc

High Desert Hunter
10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
I had one I let go, it was a tack driver with jacketed or cast, it did help finance my 1895GS though. Great looking shooter.

hornsurgeon
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Those that say a marlin wont shoot cast boolits has don't really understand how to propperly fit a boolit to a bore. There is no "standard size" for any caliber. Slug your bore and start 0.001" over. From there you may have to go up or slightly down in size to find what your gun likes.

That being said, MOST marlin 45/70's seem to like at least. 460" or more. Mine likes. 461". It seems like most shooters like 325-405 grains. My boolit of choice is a copy of the ranch dog 350gr design with traditional lube grooves. Medium powders seem to work best. I use re7 myself.

Also, most marlin's like to be pushed hard and fast.

Gibson
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
hornsurgeon:

This one will be here Monday (it is in the post as I type):

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/309565000/309565695/pix773117932.jpg

It is a 336RC .30-30 from 1951. 1951 would make it prior to microgroove rifling, I expect.

I like the way it looks and it was cheap. Kind of an "old west" look to me in the pictures. (Although some might say that the pistol grip is not "old west" but, of course, most certainly there were pistol grip leverguns in the "old west" ;) I'll post pictures on Tuesday.

Hopefully these two will do for now :)

cadjak
10-18-2012, 08:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/cadjak/Misc%20Firearms/Marlin%201895LTD%20III/CIMG3009.jpg
This is my slightly modified, 1895 LTDIII. I prefer the pistol grip style stock on any rifle with thump, so I swapped stock and the complete trigger goup from another 1895. Added some other minor gee-gaws ; limbsaver pad and a stainless follower (David Clay) etc. I really like this gun. I shoot store bought, Randy Garrett loads with reasonable accuracy. There's no telling what a better shooter could ring out of it. I am addicted to big bore firearms.

Gibson
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Very nice!

Makes my 1951 thutty thutty look kind of sad.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/309565000/309565695/pix904614693.jpg

I kind of like big boomers, too. I am going to buy one by December, a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott.

Gibson
11-07-2012, 05:09 PM
phaessler:

Thank you for sending some VERY nice bullets. Lubed, checked, and ready :)

You are a good man. Let me know if you want me to send you the brass I mentioned.

white eagle
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
very nice gun
I love those marlins I have one liked it so much,45-70 that I bought a Ruger #1 in the very same cal
Mine has a preference for 440 gr Hoch with 16-1 alloy and a dose of 3031
I tried a softer alloy 20-1 but my groups opened up so I went back
I do believe that BA'S advice will be sound

smokeywolf
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Gibson, I don't know Marlins but, if your like me, you won't stick with those cat-sneeze loads very long. I load light for the black powder era Winchester 45-70s but I take them up to the upper trapdoor limits for the post 1900 "Nickel Steel" barrel model '86. I like to feel that soreness in my shoulder that reminds me that I went to the range yesterday.
Next trip to the range I hope to have BPCRs ready.

Swell lookin Marlin! Only 2 pics?
Looks like someone took real good care of it. 45-70 may be the best all round cartridge that ever was. There's very little to fear when you've got a cool head, a steady hand, and a 45-70.

smokeywolf

roarin 54
11-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I sold a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 2X Leupold scope to buy a Marlin 1895 in 2002. I put a Pachmyar Decellerator recoil pad and a set of Skinner sights on it. I bought a Lyman 457643 mould which ushered me into the wonderful world of casting boolits. I couldn't be happier, I've taken deer with it as well as punched paper, and pulverized a multitude of clay targets. Loading 400 grain cast boolits to mid trapdoor levels and shooting a bunch of clays offhand is just plain fun. I call it man sized plinking. At the end of the day a slightly sore is evidence of a fun days shooting.

smoked turkey
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
I really can't add much to what has been said about the great 45-70. I have an older one with an old Lyman peep sight. I also have one of the newer 450 Marlins. I too have a No. 1 in 45-70 that really hammers a whitetail if you get fairly close to him. Need I say more. There are so many variations that it is fairly easy to find what combination your rifle likes. If I were in a thicket after something that could bite me I would want my .450 guide gun loaded with my RCBS 45-405s. The thing is that almost any 45-70 load would do the job. +1 on what bull shop said about having it in the crook of your arm when out stomping around. Long live the 45-70!

Gibson
11-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Gibson, I don't know Marlins but, if your like me, you won't stick with those cat-sneeze loads very long. I load light for the black powder era Winchester 45-70s but I take them up to the upper trapdoor limits for the post 1900 "Nickel Steel" barrel model '86. I like to feel that soreness in my shoulder that reminds me that I went to the range yesterday.
Next trip to the range I hope to have BPCRs ready.

Swell lookin Marlin! Only 2 pics?
Looks like someone took real good care of it. 45-70 may be the best all round cartridge that ever was. There's very little to fear when you've got a cool head, a steady hand, and a 45-70.

smokeywolf

Cat sneeze loads? I have not loaded a round yet. I have been conferring with BABORE about how to get ~1675 fps with a 500 grain bullet, within a limited purview of powders, among many other things. (Why? Because I want to, why else? :) Then I'll assess other parameters.) Not whopper snappers but certainly not mouse fart. We have generally discussed the MG barrels, etc. He is VERY wise when it comes to such.

I shoot my 500 S&W mag BFR with 465 gr at 1700 fps and have shot it with 700 grainers at 1150 fps. I shoot my little .44 mag (4 5/8") with 310 grain slugs at 1355 fps with surplus. My .45 Colt gets 300 (actually 315) grain slugs running at mid 1300. .

You see that fellow in the avatar? That's moi. Now do I look like a cat sneeze shooter :)

Thanks for the kind words. I will keep you updated. Trying to kill bambi with a handgun for the next two weeks. :)

Edit to add: I dropped you a pm

Gibson
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks to all who posted here. You re-affirm my belief in the goodness of folks.

Long live the 45/70 round :) Sure makes me feel connected to something gone. Melancholy. . .

45 2.1
11-09-2012, 05:16 PM
No worries there. BABore has already agreed to help me.

BABore will do you up right. He was in the same position some years ago himself.

mpmarty
11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Very nice '95 there. I've got a B00 45/70 also and it does just fine with every powder I've got except for BLC-2 which won't burn clean in it. My favorites are Unique, 2400, 3031 and RL-7. My rifle has never seen a jacketed round and has never leaded its barrel either. Most of my shooting is with Ranch Dog 350gr boolits without checks and tumble lubed with 50/50 LLA/JPW. Good hunting and our prayers for your son.

Gibson
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Very nice '95 there. I've got a B00 45/70 also and it does just fine with every powder I've got except for BLC-2 which won't burn clean in it. My favorites are Unique, 2400, 3031 and RL-7. My rifle has never seen a jacketed round and has never leaded its barrel either. Most of my shooting is with Ranch Dog 350gr boolits without checks and tumble lubed with 50/50 LLA/JPW. Good hunting and our prayers for your son.

I am humbled. Thank you for the prayers.

Mumblypeg
11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Lord have mercy... I've got a BOO too! I was shooting it today as a matter of a fact. 350 Ranch Dogs with 30grs. of IMR 4831. Pleasant and accurate and clean.

Mumblypeg
11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
!!!Correction on my load!! That was 30 grs. of H4198 ! My bad, sorry.

nanuk
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
The above listed load is 1800 fps and has taken 4 bison with one shot.

How did you get them to stand all nice in a line???

and MAN, Talk about PENETRATION! :kidding:

Slow Elk 45/70
11-11-2012, 03:03 PM
+++++1, I bought my first new Marlin in 1975, looks just like Your's. I have several now and love to shoot them...I have several nice loads...from plinking to full house Elk loads.

When I started out I had lots of issues...but no more....find a mold that will give you a boolit that is .001-2 over grove size . Once I got the size right ...the rest was/is a lot of fun...I remember being very frustrated with the MG barrel , was going to pitch it and go to another...never did...ake the boolit FIT and go from there. I like my molds .462 and have a couple that drop at .464...also makes a difference if you are sizing the boolit. The .462 don't have to be sized down for my guns:cbpour::cast_boolits:

largom
11-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Shot a deer with my Marlin last year and forgot to hold her tight. Results, one dead deer and one cut eye from the scope. I replaced the scope with a Nikon Omega and sighted it back in yesterday. Boolit was RCBS 45-405 over 46 gr. Reloader 7. End results was one large hole at 100 yds for 3 shots.

Larry