PDA

View Full Version : die question

XWrench3
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
ok, a "learning curve" question. on my lyman 450, i bought a new sizer die to size boolits for my 44 magnum. most of what i am doing is gas checks, but using Lee dies, i am seating in a separate operation, to ensure the gas checks get installed square. i have had this happen at least 5 times now, where the boolit sits just a little bit cocked on the top of the die, and when i push the lever down, the sizer scrapes off part of a side of the boolit. should there be enough of a bevel on the very top edge of the die to keep this from happening, or am i going to NEED to learn to make absolutely certain the boolit is seated squarely each and every time before i pull the handle? obviously i CAN learn to do that, but if there should be a bevel on the die, which if there is, it is a tiny little bevel, it would make this easier and faster to do. and after all, I am an American. bigger, faster, and more is ALWAYS better, isn't it!!!

noylj
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
You have to be careful. Back when I sized bullets, the "ram" section of the die was always below flush and it was relatively easy to align the bullet to the die. Also, be sure to have a bullet aligned in the die and being sized before locking the top punch down so you know it is aligned.

.22-10-45
10-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello, XWrench3. Is a gas-check installed on base when this sizing is taking place? It could be the check is not fully seated & is cocked. Lyman makes a gas-check seater..lets gas check be fully seated before any sizing is done.
How is fit of G.C. to bullet? If bullet shank is too large, this can cause problems..might have to slightly flair gas-check opening to allow easier seating.

44man
10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I seat checks first, mine are too tight for any size die to seat.
To drop a check in a lube sizer and stick a boolit on top can do wonders for making ruined boolits.
When I use a lee die I run boolits with full seated checks through upside down. Easy with a flat nose but a pointy boolit needs a punch made to fit the nose. The Lee can pull checks loose if run through nose first.

deltaenterprizes
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Try installing the check by hand before placing the boolit in the die to size it

10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Try installing the check by hand before placing the boolit in the die to size it

+1.

The gas check seater that came with my Lyman kit has only been out of its package once, and that was just to see how it installed. Perhaps, I need to sell it.

XWrench3
10-13-2012, 10:56 AM
i am seating the checks first. i am thinking that maybe if i make a shorter push rod, that would allow the bullet pusher that sits in the die, to sit down into the die, say .100" or so. i am thinking that might make getting them centered a lot easier. of course, having fingers and thumbs that look and work more like fat short sausages probably is not helping matters. 44 man, i have not had the problem od checks being torn loose or distorted with lee sizers. but i have also pushed some of them thru upside down. they seem to seat much nicer that way. i am just very tired of applying good lube by hand. it makes a very big mess, and is very time consuming. the lyman lube-sizer is so much nicer.

44man
10-13-2012, 01:04 PM
i am seating the checks first. i am thinking that maybe if i make a shorter push rod, that would allow the bullet pusher that sits in the die, to sit down into the die, say .100" or so. i am thinking that might make getting them centered a lot easier. of course, having fingers and thumbs that look and work more like fat short sausages probably is not helping matters. 44 man, i have not had the problem od checks being torn loose or distorted with lee sizers. but i have also pushed some of them thru upside down. they seem to seat much nicer that way. i am just very tired of applying good lube by hand. it makes a very big mess, and is very time consuming. the lyman lube-sizer is so much nicer.
I don't really size. I make my molds close and lap Lee molds to mostly remove excess lube. There is almost no fiction on the boolit so when the check gets there, it can move back a tad. Upside down works better.
I actually like the Lee dies better as they seem to keep boolits round and leave a skin of lube on the boolits. You might call my Felix lubed boolits "tumble lubed."
Boolits from my lube sizer are too clean with just lube in grooves.
It is more work for sure. I just loaded 50 rounds for my .475 and had to peel excess lube from the noses and crimp grooves with my thumbnail. I suppose it takes me twice as long or more to load.
I look at a round, seated straight, good tension, good lube and know I only need that one round for a deer.
I cast slow, lube and size slow, load slow and 20 rounds all do what I want. I kind of went crazy loading 50 rounds today! :bigsmyl2:
I understand the mess and work as that is me too. But look at the one wonderful load instead of a thousand that are useless.
Had Sasquatch-1 and Odfairfaxsub out last week to shoot and we shot many water bottles at 100 yards with my .475. I busted the first off hand and we went to the bags. All were centered in the bottles except one that was a little low. Most, if the bottles were set side by side would show a 1/2" group from three shooters. That is what counts. The fellas are great shots and Roger said "That is amazing."
Speed casting and loading is OK for close range stuff, steel plates or pins.
I get a sore finger lubing but I will not give it up.
I did cast and lube several hundred boolits for a friend and used the lube sizer, just too much work by hand. It took hours just to seat checks.

XWrench3
02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
an update, i looked at a lyman gas check seater, but i just did not care for it. it took me a few minutes to figure out how it actually worked, and once i did understand, it just seemed like a complete afterthought. i made my own gas check seater up, from of all things, a Suzuki valve adjusting shim. it is hardened, flat, and smooth. it is larger enough to sit over top and acrosss the die retaining nut, and held in place by an epoxied neodymium high strength magnet. this works GREAT!

243winxb
02-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Using the correct top punch may help? http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=15526

williamwaco
02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Are you using the gas check seater that came with your sizer lubricator?
I find that it does a very good job of seating checks straight.