PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sheep I am tired

Boerrancher
10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
:holysheep

At the first part of the week I went to my fathers last residence and started cleaning up the reloading stuff. My daughters and I just tossed it all into boxes over the weekend and I hauled what we had boxed up home on Mon and Tue. I have spent the last two days going through it, and what I packed up is only a small dent in it, and I have his old house and shop to do this week end.

This after noon I spent 6 hours pulling down old ammo that the brass was corroded on beyond salvageable. I bet I have 100 lbs of bad brass, stuff with cracked necks, corrosion, and crushed necks or shoulders. I know some of the 30-06 and 6mm-06 with cracked necks, I could have annealed, and sized and trimmed to .308win, 6mm Rem, or .243win, but when I already have hundreds upon hundreds of each, why do I want to do all of the work to make more? I think I would rather take the money for the scrap brass and buy primers or powder with it, or maybe new 303 and 8mm molds. I would have just dumped it all into one big box with out pulling it down, but I was concerned the scrap man wouldn't take it if it was live ammo.

I am so thankful for the kinetic bullet puller. If I had to use my collete puller and press I would still be working through all that ammo. I just dumpped the powder into a large powder can and marked it smokeless mixed powders. There may come a day that I need to remove a stump or something. Drill some large holes in the stump, fill them with deisel fuel, and after they soak up pack the center hole with the powder and light it. It burns pleanty hot enough to get the wood and fuel going. I am going to have to put all the bad brass in smaller boxes because there is no way I can carry this box to the truck.

Best wishes,

Joe

Mk42gunner
10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think I could take using a kinetic puller for hours on end. I much prefer using a set of end nips in the press to pull bullets. That way all you need is a shellholder. Of course the round has to be long enough to poke at least the bullet through the top of the press....

Robert

runfiverun
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
i'da used the kinetic bullet puller to build a shed.
kill two birds with one stone type thing.

Frank46
10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I had a bunch of 303 british ammo that had a poor storage life. Corroded and didn't wish to risk firing it. Something on the order of 500rds. That asphaltum really made getting the bullets out with the inertia pullet puller. Then dig out the little wad and pair of tweezers to start getting out the cordite. Frank

bruce drake
10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think I could take using a kinetic puller for hours on end. I much prefer using a set of end nips in the press to pull bullets. That way all you need is a shellholder. Of course the round has to be long enough to poke at least the bullet through the top of the press....

Robert

I grew up with a hammer in my hand, but that plastic and metal kinetic hmmer puller always gets my hand tingly after a short while.

I used the pliers and benchpress route for many years until I got a Collet puller.

Boerrancher
10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
If I was doing only a couple of cals it the collet puller wouldn't be bad, but I am dealing with coffee cans full of mixed ammo consisting of everything from 22-250, and .223 Rem, through all of the 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, and 30cal through 45cal and every thing in between on the rifle side. Then there is all of the hand gun ammo mixed in, 9mm, 38-357, 45's in both colt and ACP, and 44mags. With all of these mixed in the coffee cans, I found it was much faster to use the hammer than trying to sort them and change collets and shell holders every time I reach in the can and pull out a different type of cartridge.

Best wishes,

Joe