PDA

View Full Version : Jim Shockey’s Gold

Olevern
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I did a search here on Jim Shockey's Gold black powder replacement but came up empty. Anybody have any experience using this and what was your experience?

tacklebury
10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I have tried it and still have 3/4 of a pound here. I was unimpressed with the inconsistent grain size. It often won't even work in a std. dispenser capable of dispensing Fg powder it has such large chunks. I tried it in my BPCR loads also with similar inaccuracy. I find of all the subs that Pyrodex Pistol and Hodgedon 777 are the most consistent, but I've gone back to 100% using Goex FFFg for my needs. It is still more consistent and is just as easy to clean up. I find that Pyrodex is the worst for rust starting if you don't get your firearm cleaned perfectly.

KyBill
10-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Never tried it . I agree with tacklebury on Goex FFFg .I also Use FFg but it is getting HARD to find in my area .Like the 777 for plinking & clean well now after use . Left a revolver pistol loaded with Pyrodex over the winter (had been shooting it with pyrodex RS pitted the cylinder)

10 ga
10-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Tried it years ago and gave it away. Found it to be inconsistent and sometimes hard to "light". Have used most of the subs but went back to shooting real "holy black" as it is xactly what it's supposed to be. 10 ga

x

mooman76
10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I've never tried it before but what was stated here is consistant with what I heard.

newton
10-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I have not used it either. But I have a friend who has. He likes it, but I've seen it. Pretty rough looking. We were at the range together the other day and he shot his .54 with it. It was pretty dang clean when he wiped it. I also know he used it in his .50 flintlock. Used 4f for the pan though. Interesting stuff. Doubt I would use it unless I did not have anything else.

Nobade
10-12-2012, 08:14 AM
It works OK in 12ga. shotgun shells for CAS or playing at shooting clay birds. Same as Pyrodex, I use my old 870 to use up odds and ends of powder like that. It uses a lot per shot and doesn't need top performance like the rifles and handguns. Otherwise not much use for it. Real black powder, either store bought or homemade works a lot better.

RugerFan
10-14-2012, 02:18 AM
I tried it a few years ago and it actually worked rather well. The only thing I killed with it was a coyote. When I ran out I went back to 777, but overall I thought it was a decent powder.

OnHoPr
10-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I tried it a few years ago in my encore 209x.50. I got 1 - 2" groups with it along with one out of five flying about three inches out of the group. But, I was shooting 150gr loads, so after 20 -30 shots there could of been a little flinching going on. I still had to clean swipe the barrel after every shot to clear the crust ring down where the boolit seats so I could feel the seating process just like any other powder. The cleaning patches just come out grey instead of black. You still have to clean your gun after using it that day IMO. Would I use it again, perhaps, but my gun prefers Pdex Select. I did harvest a nice doe with it on my birthday a few years ago, so it can't be all that bad.:grin: Actually I'm have been doing a little testing with American Pioneer Powder FFFG and it was not bad with Harvester sabots and a Lee .429-240-2R, but not as good as the Pdex Select. I also tried it with the Lee .501 paper patched, but it was dismal. At my surprise, it shot 3 Maxiballs into the same hole, though at 25 yd. I'll have to try it at 100 yd with the Maxiballs. Seems like that would be a good thumper.

marshall623
10-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Same thoughts in my area a few likes , but more dislikes I've been using 777 pellets in my inline and power belts. I'm switching back to maxi balls and I'm comparing 777 with FF black
The one fact I can clearly state is that with a properly cleaned gun real Black Powder has never let me down even hunting in rain & snow

MosinRob
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Worked great in my knight disc. used 150gr with a 250gr pwerbelt. 1.5" groups all day. I sold the rifle and dont use it anymore

toot
10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I did a search here on Jim Shockey's Gold black powder replacement but came up empty. Anybody have any experience using this and what was your experience?

i bough 2 pounds and am not impressrd with it. i let i set foe 6 months when i checked it it was one solid pump, mass. through them out. that was my experence with it. hope this helps? TOOT.