PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays

Beekeeper
10-11-2012, 09:56 AM
In 30 days I turn 76!
Boy what a ride it has been ,E-ticket all the way.

Now I have started to get a few things ready for the kids and find out I don't have anything they want.

Both hate guns.
Both hate fishing
Both would rather spend a months pay at the dealership than work on their cars.

So now I am in a delimina as to what to do with the guns ,fishing poles and gear, and a garage full of tools collected over the last 30 years.

Guess I didn't raise them right.
Everyone is more interested in their cell phones and computers than real life.

Oh well I guess the scrappers will have a field day when I'm gone.

Thanks for letting an old man rant a little.

beekeeper

Jim
10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
You can dictate that your possessions be sold at an estate auction and the proceeds be left to your heirs. I plan to leave several firearms to my son, grandson and grand nephews, but the rest will be sold at auction and Janet (assuming she survives me) will get the proceeds.

Roundnoser
10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I have two young children. I would like them to be involved in shooting and/or reloading, casting, etc. in some way or another. But, if they are not, I told my wife to find some stary-eyed, upstarts who ARE really into it, and love it as much as I did and make them a sweetheart deal.

As a young person who LOVES this hobby, could you imagine walking into a shop that has Star sizers, a Master Caster, piles of lead ingots, progressive reloading machines, etc? It would be like a kid in a candy store!

Dean D.
10-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I've left verbal and written (will) instructions that my firearms are to be given to family members and are NOT to be sold. In most cases I have designated which firearm goes to whom. I don't care if they go to a 7th cousin twice removed as long as that person enjoys firearms. I know, I have no control over what the relative does with the firearm after they receive it but I would hope they would cherish them as much as I do and keep them in the family.

Can you tell I don't like to sell guns?

reloader28
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
A good friend of mine has a worthless daughter that pawns everything he gives her 5 minutes after he leaves from a visit.
He's sick of that so he's having an estate sale when he dies and the money all goes to the grandkids school funds.

WHEEEW... When she found out about that and that I was excequder to his estate, she was NOT a happy camper.:dung_hits_fan:
His son is the same way. A real piece of work that he aint seen in 40 years.

I have gotten a couple guns and a darn nice fishing boat from him. He says I get his reloading room, casting stuff and the rest of his guns.

Beekeeper, if it will help you out any, I'll be happy to look after your guns and fishing gear for you. That way you wont have to go to the trouble and expense of a nasty old auction and they'll be well cared for. Just trying to help out.:kidding:

waksupi
10-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Last week I updated my will, and had it notarized. I have known too many men who for some reason, refuse to make a will. I know several instances that the man died, and the property was lost to cover medical or other bills. If the survivor isn't named to own the property, or do not have their name as co-owner, they have NO rights of possession. Wife and kids are booted off the property.

People should have all of their property in both husband and wife's names, and survivorship being the recipient of the property. The property should also be homesteaded in both names, to protect you against seizure of the home for any debts.

I'm leaving some things to the family I know they will appreciate. Most are things I have made over the years, plus my art collection. They will receive part of the sale price of my property, with the majority going to the Shriner's Hospitals.

Echo
10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I have left all to my son, the only close family member left, with instructions to dole it out as he sees fit to the three grand-daughters (one his daughter, the other two from my daughter). He has generated a family trust, and has WAY more money than do I, and doesn't need what I have. The guns, reloading and casting stuff are his to do with as he chooses.
(In the last 2 1/2 years I have lost my oldest son, my daughter, and my wife. Suddenly, I have no one I'm responsible for. Kind of a shock...)

Crawdaddy
10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
BeeKeeper
If you want to adopt a 51 year old man I will be glad to inherit your stuff! :)
Just kidding.
As others have said you can have it sold at auction and have the funds given to your kids.

And BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Wayne Smith
10-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Neither of my boys are very interested in guns, although both are quite competent. Always argued that a sword is more effective in a home. We had some good discussions around that. My grandson is now 8mo old, I'm placing my hopes on him and other grandkids!

blademasterii
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
All my guns and my fathers guns are going to my nieces. My dad already pretty much gave me all his center fire guns. Told him they aren't going any where. If I need to sell guns, I have plenty of mine that can go first.

Ramar
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
A will is a must. My will leaves everything I own to my trust. A trust will save money, time and most all of the legal problems(probate) will disappear, and all items can be distributed without LAWYERS. A copy of your death certificate and trust cover sheet is all that is needed for real and bank account closures.

If you can write a will you can write a trust; or have someone do it for you. Re title of deeds to your trust name is needed.

Ramar