PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had problems with Gunbroker.com???

km101
10-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I was browsing their website today and found a gun that I wanted to bid on. It has been several years since I was on the site, and I could not remember my log-in & password, so I decided to register. I started filling out the registration page, and at the bottom it said "continue". The next page wanted more personal info. I finally got through and tried to place a bid on the pistol that cought my eye.

A msg came up that said that my accound was suspended because thier securith program could not verify my information. It said that if I wanted to get "verified" that I had to fax them a copy of my driver's license and a current utility bill!! This is more information than I am comfortable giving them, so I will no fax it.

Has anyone else had a similar exeerience? I got a distinct feeling of "big brother" that I didn't like, so won't be donig business there!

starmac
10-11-2012, 12:01 AM
The only time I tried to register, I got something similar, I don't remember the exact reason, but like you I scrapped the idea.
They emailed me a bill for some sort of user fee for several months though.

Kraschenbirn
10-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Been registered on GB for a long time but haven't bought/sold anything in the last couple of years. Just logged in and ran a couple of searches without any difficulty. Didn't try to place a bid, though...

Bill

connecticut-yankee
10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I just sold a rifle an a handgun on their site and had no problems. I have also purchased things from the sight and I've never been disappointed.

Yankee

375RUGER
10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I've been registered there for a long time, bought a few gun parts, maybe a Kimber once but never had to give a utility bill or DL. Never got a user fee bill either.

HATCH
10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I have purchased tons of stuff on there.
Its like ebay. They charge sellers not buyers.
Keep in mind that I have been a user on there since day 1.
I have sold a couple guns on there and paid their fee but as a buyer I have never had to pay any fees.

Crawdaddy
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
same here, been registered for quite a while with no problems. I have never sold there only bought. No requests for information like utility bills.

Mark85304
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I registered in August. Nothing like this has happened to me.

Uncle Jimbo
10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
If you used the same info that you were registered before, the system might have thrown a red flag. It thinks you are a hacker trying to use someone else's account.
Did you try to ask for your old user and password with the "Don't remember password" app.
Just a few ideas.

DCP
10-11-2012, 08:14 PM
plus 1

If you used the same info that you were registered before, the system might have thrown a red flag. It thinks you are a hacker trying to use someone else's account.
Did you try to ask for your old user and password with the "Don't remember password" app.
Just a few ideas.

MT Gianni
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Bought and sold a few. I think it is a good site.

jethunter
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I've bought on GB but not much lately. Being from outside the US, they originally verified my information through a credit card charge - I sent them my cc details and they billed it $1, which in effect verified my name and billing address. Then I was allowed to bid. Maybe the process has changed now but i thought that was not too unreasonable.

knifemaker
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I buy and sell on E-bay and recently I had to provide a utility bill to them to prove who I am and that I lived at that address to continue selling. They advised me that it was a new requirement due to goverment regulations. So! Yes! it is big brother making new rules.

0verkill
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Can't have somebody sell anything without paying taxes on it.

.30/30 Guy
10-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I have bought a number of things from GunBroker. All of my experiences have been positive.

leftiye
10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I buy there a lot. Never got hurt too much, but they aren't going to do you any favors if someone sticks you. Their buyer protection is a joke, one you won't like. eVil bAy it ain't.