PDA

View Full Version : Roll crimp 45acp?

Bisbee
10-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I purchased a used RCBS die set for 45acp. After casting a few 200g. SWC boolits I started to load the cases when I discovered my seating die was a roll crimp die. Would someone tell me why I would roll crimp a 45acp. Thank you.

R.M.
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd bet you have that seating die screwed in way too far. Chances are you swagged the boolit diameter down too. Back the die up until it just removes the flair in the brass. The case diameter at the mouth should be .471", measured with a micrometer.

H.Callahan
10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Would someone tell me why I would roll crimp a 45acp. Thank you.
Perhaps if one were shooting them out of a revolver....

gcsteve
10-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Perhaps if one were shooting them out of a revolver....

Exactly right. RCBS makes a .45 ACP roll crimp die for revolver rounds.

shotman
10-10-2012, 04:54 PM
It may not hurt you if you back off a little . It may on a Glock . I will look I could trade for reg as I shoot acp in a 25

GBertolet
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
The older RCBS dies for the 45ACP came from the factory with the roll crimp. In most cases, if properly applied, meaning minimumly, the roll crimp won't hurt accuracy a bit in the ACP. If you are using a cast bullet with a shoulder on it, seat it out until it contacts the leade of the rifling. The cartridge will headspace off of this also, insuring consistency. I have an old NRA Handloaders Guide which testing was done by the NRA staff on the 45 ACP. Many loads were tested, all from machine rests, consisting of various powder charges, cast bullets and crimps. Heavy, light, taper and roll crimps. In some loads the roll crimp performed best.

gwpercle
10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I use roll crimp when reloading for my Taurus model 455, 45acp revolver.
Use cast bullet, Lyman # 452423 a 240 gr. SWC and a stout charge of Unique, works really well out of a revolver. the crimp keeps the boolits firmly in place.

gary

fredj338
10-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I've done it w/ 250gr LSWC for the 45 in moon clips. Just back the die out so it just crimps, done.

Catshooter
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I would like to own that die. Would you like to either sell or trade it? I have several 45 ACP taper crimp dies.

Cat

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 08:45 PM
The roll crimp die will work just fine if you back it out far enough that it just removes the flare at the case mouth.

smokey496
10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Do not roll crimp a 45 acp. Taper crimp.

runfiverun
10-10-2012, 11:16 PM
the 45 ar brass needs the roll crimp.
i use my 45 roll crimp for one of my 1911's, with either the lyman or the H&G 200 swc the gun functions better and is far more accurate with the sligt roll crimp.
when loading 225 rnfp's in my 625 and using moon clips i need the roll crimp when upping the loads for "stuff".
general acp loads in it, or my other 1911, do just fine with the taper crimp die.

cajun shooter
10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
The roll crimp dies have been used for many years by match shooters when shooting cast bullets. If you set the die correctly you may find that your down range results are better.
Redding, RCBS and others all still sell the Roll crimp dies for the 45 ACP.

mdi
10-11-2012, 12:05 PM
The older RCBS dies for the 45ACP came from the factory with the roll crimp. In most cases, if properly applied, meaning minimumly, the roll crimp won't hurt accuracy a bit in the ACP. If you are using a cast bullet with a shoulder on it, seat it out until it contacts the leade of the rifling. The cartridge will headspace off of this also, insuring consistency. I have an old NRA Handloaders Guide which testing was done by the NRA staff on the 45 ACP. Many loads were tested, all from machine rests, consisting of various powder charges, cast bullets and crimps. Heavy, light, taper and roll crimps. In some loads the roll crimp performed best.
Yep, my first 45 ACP dies had a roll crimp. But if you "crimp" correctly, meaning minimal, just enough to straighten the case mouth, it'll work fine...

Don't forget the "thunk test".

Sonnypie
10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I have a set of 45ACP RCBS dies I use.
I set mine too deep and got a rolled crimp on some rounds.
Adjusting it correctly gave me the correct taper.
I like to follow original specs for it while tuning my powder for the best accuracy for me. Once you find your pet load, you can just crank them out.

For cast bullet loads I've moved away from all crimping. (30-06 bolt, and 45ACP is all I reload right now.)

trixter
10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
For cast bullet loads I've moved away from all crimping. (30-06 bolt, and 45ACP is all I reload right now.)

I would be real interested in more conversation with you on your bolt rifle reloading, I too am reloading the same calibers.