PDA

View Full Version : What I got in a trade! need help

Freightman
06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
I did some horse tradding today came up with a Shiloh Sharps and it is complete except for the sight disk on the tang any idea where I can get one? Then i got a Remington rolling block M-1867 45/70 has crowns all over the stock and reciever it has no rear or front sight need help there also. Now for the real mystery! after he had traded me out of almost all my pistols and simi-auto rifles and ammo he pointed to a chunk of metal in the cornor and said why dont you take that out of my way.
To describe it it is a barreled action like a sharps no block lever ect and no markings but it is a 50 cal falling block. Is it possable to find parts or a lost cause no wood, no finish on the metal and the bore looks new.
Here are some pictures please help if you can.:confused:

NickSS
06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Your barreled action looks like a model 1863 Sharps percussion rifle. It looks like someone stripped the lock and block. It could be a reproduction but also might be and original sharps. Are there any markings on it? If it is an original some parts are available from S&S firarms in New york. Also Shiloh might be willing to fit a breach block, lever etc and provide a lock that will work but it may be very costly. Only an idea. Also a percussion breach block from some other maker may fit. You should measure your bore in it as if its an original sharps the land dimentions will be closer to .52 and the grooves .54 inch.

As for a sight disc find out who made the sight and call them they can offer you a sight disc I am sure. Or Try Buffalo Arms they are on the web and have lots of sights and parts. They are also really helpfull when you talk to them.

Freightman
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks a lot, I will make up my mind as to what to do on the barreled action, and thanks for the disk information the sight looks to be a vernier. Will do some checking on that to make sure.
Thanks for your time.

John Taylor
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
That looks like a slant breach Sharps model 1852. These were percussion only. If it is a true Sharps it should be marked " Sharps Rifle Manufg. Co" on the barrel and "C Sharps. Pat. " on the lock plate and tang. Might be a fun project to play with, want to swap it off for something?

chevyiron420
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
that roller looks just like my danish, and the same date mark too! does it have anything written on the tang?-phil[smilie=2: