PDA

View Full Version : Passing of a soldier.

TheDoctor
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Sadly, this morning, Sergeant Major Basil Plumley lost his battle with cancer.

bruce drake
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
do you have a link to the article please

TheDoctor
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.susankatzkeating.com/2012/10/on-passing-of-csm-basil-plumley-famed.html
http://guardianofvalor.com/csm-basil-plumley-old-iron-jaw-loses-battle-with-cancer-at-92/

bruce drake
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw those when I did a google search but I'm looking for a news article. It will probably be out in the next few hours.

TheDoctor
10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
If most of the news agencies even report it.

Tried looking on LTG Moore and Mr. Galloway's FB pages, but no info yet. Would not expect anything there for a while.

scarry scarney
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
It is a said event. But we will always be honored that he was an American Hero, and he called the US home.

FISH4BUGS
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Just a great American hero and a survivor of the first big battle of the Vietnam War - the Battle of Ia Drang Valley. He was a central figure in the Book We were Soldiers Once and Young.
I wish I had one tenth his character and guts. Read the book. See the movie. Say a prayer. He was a true American hero.
I didn't know him. Just respected the hell out of him.
God Speed CSM Plumley. I hope to see you at the eternal duty station.

bruce drake
10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley, former command sergeant major of 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment “Garryowen,” 1st Cavalry Division, died from colon cancer Oct. 10 in Columbus, Ga.

Plumley enlisted in the Army March 31, 1942
and retired Dec. 31, 1974. He is a veteran of World War II in Operation Husky, the Battle of Salerno, the Battle of Normandy and Operation Market-Garden.

He is also a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Plumley served as the command sergeant major of 1-7 Cav during Vietnam and the Battle of Ia Drang.
Plumley was portrayed by Sam Elliot in the film “We Were Soldiers.”

"On behalf of the Soldiers and families of the 1st Cavalry Division, with which Command Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley served in Vietnam, I want to pass our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers to his family and all who were close to him. Command Sgt. Maj. Plumley was a true American hero who spent much of his life placing his nation and its greatest ideals ahead of his own well being,” said Maj. Gen. Anthony Ierardi, commanding general of the 1st Cavalry Division here. “He served with great valor and distinction in three wars and continued to mentor Soldiers and leaders well after his retirement from active duty. The command sergeant major touched countless lives in his more than 30 years in the Army and while serving as the senior noncommissioned officer in the storied 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment ‘Garryowen.’ He will be deeply, deeply missed."

sundog
10-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Salute and a prayer rendered, Sergeant Major.

DIRT Farmer
10-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Bruce. History needs to be written, many heros have passed with no notice beyond their family.

Tom-ADC
10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
RIP Sargent Major

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/10/basil-plumley-retired-veteran-whose-book-became-were-soldiers-movie-dies-in/?test=latestnews

TAMU74
10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
America has lost one of her finest, may he enjoy the peace in heaven that his efforts here have earned.

Larry Gibson
10-11-2012, 01:29 PM
RIP.

Larry Gibson

Boz330
10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/11/basil-plumley-army-veteran-of-three-wars-dies-at-92/?fb_action_ids=10152179054790422&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210152179054790422%22%3A360 679227350685%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210152179054790422%22%3A%22og .recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

JeffinNZ
10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
The portrail of him in the movie was very cool. I particularly liked his reason for carrying only a sidearm and not a rifle. That is the measure of a leader.

DCP
10-11-2012, 08:19 PM
"Old Soldiers Never Die" (They Just Fade Away)

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

HABCAN
10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
What DCP said here above.............and with a HUGE Amen!! R.IP., SIR! <Hand salute!> We'll see you soon.
HABCAN.

Tom-ADC
10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Got this in a email last night:

This was sent to me , thought you might find it interesting!!
re Basil Plumley

Guys,

Basil died yesterday at the age 92 in Hospice Care in Columbus, Georgia, where he had been lingering for over a week. He was born in Shady Spring, West Virginia on January 1, 1920, the son of a coal miner. After two years of high school and some experience as a chauffeur and truck driver, he joined the U.S. Army on March 31, 1942 to fight for our freedom. He went on to serve us for 32 years, through WWII, Korea and Vietnam, before retiring as Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley in 1974. He continued to work another 15 years as a civil servant at Martin Army Hospital at Fort Benning.

Most Americans know Basil Plumley from Mel Gibson's movie "We Were Soldiers," which was based on a book written by retired Army Lieutenant General Hal Moore. The book and movie tell the story of Moore's 1st Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment (Custer's old unit) that fought Vietnamese Communists in the first major battle of the Vietnam War in the Ia Drang Valley on November 14, 1965. In that battle, 450 of our Soldiers were locked in mortal combat with over 2,000 of the enemy's troops, and many of them did not survive. Basil Plumley was Moore's senior NCO in the battalion during the battle, and he was portrayed in the movie by actor Sam Elliott. Elliott was proud to play Plumbley in the movie because of the message the movie sent to Americans. Elliott said in 2002, "I think it reconciles a lot of things...like the way we treated those who answered the call. How we let our personal feelings take over when those who survived came home. I think this movie is an opportunity to give some credit to those men."

General Moore's Facebook page had the following post about Plumley yesterday: "He now rejoins his wife Duerice in heaven to enjoy eternal peace. Basil Plumley is an American hero; a combat infantryman in three wars, a man of tremendous character and honor, and iconic role model for generations of Soldiers, Sailors and Marines that have followed his path. Basil Plumley will be missed on earth, but he left a legacy that lives on in the values and fighting spirit of America's servicemen and women. God Bless you, Sergeant Major. We know you have St. Peter doing pushups! Drive on!"

After Plumley's death yesterday, General Moore was contacted by a local news reporter at his home near Auburn, Alabama, and he said about his friend and former sergeant major, "He was always a great companion and a great leader. The main thing I remember about my relationship with him was he gave me excellent advice."

America is proud of you and your service, Sergeant Major. Thank you! -

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it."--Clint Eastwood

pmeisel
10-14-2012, 11:39 AM
RIP with admiration for him, and the many less famous like him.