PDA

View Full Version : odd diameter round balls?

badgeredd
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I am in the process of getting a project together. I need a round ball in the .420-.425 diameter range for the project. Ptching thickness can adjust for whatever size I can find reasonably. I found a .424 2 cavity round ball mold on evilbay but the price is quite high. Since I'd be happy with a single cavity mold, is there a source for such oddities at a fairly frugal price? Just figured I'd use the brain trust here to save a little time and energy.

Edd

Hanshi
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Jeff Tanner will make you a custom mold for a lot less than you'd pay for an OTC Lyman mold. Google him for his website. I ordered a .590 from him a while back, and though he's located in the UK, I received it within a week. Cost was well under $30 counting shipping. No handles but Lyman handles fit it fine.

obssd1958
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Edd,
I have an Ohaus single cavity .424 round ball mould, in the original Ohaus box. I have never used it.
I'll send it to you in a small flat rate box for $30.
Let me know if you want it.

Don

HORNET
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
I should have a .424 Lyman or Ideal rattling around somewhere if you need to borrow it for a while for testing.

badgeredd
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I knew I could count on you. If my project pans out, I'll tell you all about it in the not too distant future. We old retired guys have time to pursue crazy ideas and I am doing it.

Edd

HARRYMPOPE
10-10-2012, 11:21 PM
tanner molds cost over $40 when i ordered one a month or two ago.I didn't end up caring for its no sprue plate set up and small size though it was very well made.

JeffinNZ
10-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Edd,
I have an Ohaus single cavity .424 round ball mould, in the original Ohaus box. I have never used it.
I'll send it to you in a small flat rate box for $30.
Let me know if you want it.
Don

I should have a .424 Lyman or Ideal rattling around somewhere if you need to borrow it for a while for testing.

And this gentlemen, is what makes this forum such a great place!!!!! :drinks: