PDA

View Full Version : Coyote attack

garbear
10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22490925&nid=148&title=coyote-attacks-kennecott-security-guard&s_cid=featured-1

Local coyote attack. Seems these are happening more often.
Garbear

starmac
10-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Something wierd about that coyote, maybe some of the guards have been feeding it.

gandydancer
10-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Rabies i bet.

Bad Water Bill
10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I think it was 2 years ago when a female jogger in Canada was attacked and killed by coyotes.

Awsar
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
got a pack of them makes rounds 1-2 times a month spotlighted them once 10-15 of them, its why i carry when i go hiking

MtGun44
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Strange for a coyote. Probably will turn out to be rabid.

Bill

historicfirearms
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
There was a show on National Geographic, I think, a while back about that female hiker in Canada. When the police officer showed up after the attack one of the coyotes was still hanging around. He fired his shotgun a few times before the thing finally left the kill site. All the coyotes I've seen around Michigan are gone as soon as you see them, but I have friends that swear that they have been followed by them late at night. Myself, I'm much more concerned about the two legged predators rather than a small canine that I outweigh by 5 times.

Harter66
10-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Hmmm let's see we let more people live in the open lands restrict predator control and then we wonder why we have problems...........

Houndog
10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I know I'll get in BIG trouble one of these days for this but I shoot them on sight anytime and anywhere I see one!

LUCKYDAWG13
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
a good friend of mine two days ago had a coyote run up to him on his bicycle and
nip at his feet he kicked it in the mouth this was in Wis ( door county )

9.3X62AL
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Coyotes predictably flee when they encounter humans......except when they don't.

The local song dogs get called at and hunted pretty intently, so about two years ago when Marie and I saw one paralleling our path up a dry wash on a ridge, I thought it was strange. As we continued up-canyon, the yote slowly started closing the distance, from about 200 yards down to 125 yards, still parallel but closing on a pursuit angle at a trot that matched the Jeep's speed.

Oh, hell no.

I snagged the Mini-14, got out of the Jeep as the coyote slowed and stopped, just staring at me. One 55 grain Ballistic Tip settled his hash. I didn't touch him, but on close look he appeared in good health, no slobbering/foaming, nicely furred. GMBTA.

Philngruvy
10-12-2012, 08:47 AM
The reporter said to have a big rock to throw at the coyote---I think a .38spl slug would be better!

10x
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Coyotes are predators of opportunity. They will attack and kill a human if the circumstances allow.
In the '50s when I was a youth I noticed that sometimes a coyote would circle me as I walked the fields in early winter. The size of the circle would decrease until the coyote got 25 to 30 yards away and I would shoot it. I suspect this was food driven as coyote populations were very high and theses were the leanest coyotes I have ever skinned. I don't know if it was hunger or curiosity but at $30 .00 to $50.00 a hide I appreciated the cooperation of the coyote.

marshall623
10-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Bow season here, I hear a pack raising cane before day break near where i huntand I found a den 200yrd from my blind. I'm still seening deer and I'm still hunting that property. But i'm packing the 357, If a yote gets in range 100 gr muzzy or .358 slug which one is most handy at the time

crabo
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
This is from my neighbor, 150 yards down the street in the middle of a Dallas Suburb. The Brown's is between his house and mine.

"A coyote was reportedly observed finishing off a cat last Saturday night in the Brown's yard. Oblivious to this, Janice turned her cat Sammy out Sunday AM at 5, and by 7 he had disappeared. By Monday one of the two cats who live next door in the Tate house had vanished. I regularly find large canine tracks in turned garden areas, but assumed these were large dogs running loose."

We have a creek running through the neighborhood. My wife has seen coyotes a number of times while walking the dogs. Too bad I can't use the Foxpro and the Benelli.

Moondawg
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
We used to live in the N part of San Antonio. It was not uncommon for yotes to pray on neighborhood cats and small dogs A neighbor two houses down let her toy poodle out the back door one morning and she was standing waiting for it to do its thing, when a yote came out of the green belt behind the house and snatched the little ankle biter from before her eyes. Unfortunately, inside the city limits you can't shoot the critters.

NSP64
10-12-2012, 06:04 PM
This is from my neighbor, 150 yards down the street in the middle of a Dallas Suburb. The Brown's is between his house and mine.

"A coyote was reportedly observed finishing off a cat last Saturday night in the Brown's yard. Oblivious to this, Janice turned her cat Sammy out Sunday AM at 5, and by 7 he had disappeared. By Monday one of the two cats who live next door in the Tate house had vanished. I regularly find large canine tracks in turned garden areas, but assumed these were large dogs running loose."

We have a creek running through the neighborhood. My wife has seen coyotes a number of times while walking the dogs. Too bad I can't use the Foxpro and the Benelli.

Finally a useful coyote!
I'm a dog person.

Bad Water Bill
10-12-2012, 06:43 PM
My neighbor moved to another town just inside of Will county Il. He put up a chain link fence so his 2 German Shepards could play during the day.

The real estate person and the fence installer both said coyotes have jumped those fences before and had even larger dogs for lunch as the coyotes are running in large packs.

This warning from only 40 miles from down town Chicago.

starnbar
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Took my grandson with me to cut the property at my moms house on the withlacoochee river month ago. A yote took a kitten right off the neighbors front porch just down the road from me. Just about sunset it came back for another one my grandson got him with his 20 gauge mossberg pump he got for christmas. This yote acted liked he ran the block no fear at all until he got hit.

9.3X62AL
10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Took my grandson with me to cut the property at my moms house on the withlacoochee river month ago. A yote took a kitten right off the neighbors front porch just down the road from me. Just about sunset it came back for another one my grandson got him with his 20 gauge mossberg pump he got for christmas. This yote acted liked he ran the block no fear at all until he got hit.

Job well done, Grandson!

wallenba
10-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I recall reading an article about a turkey hunter hidden in his blind being attacked when two coyotes stumbled upon him.

gandydancer
10-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I think it was 2 years ago when a female jogger in Canada was attacked and killed by coyotes.
bad water bill I remember that story. the girl was 23 years old and just making a name for her self in the music & song writing business. and she was only about 20 yards from other joggers 4 or 5 yotes jumped her pulled her down and tore her up and she bled out before help could stop the bleeding.My buddy lost his deer a few years ago in ct bow hunting. He had to track in for a ways. and when he found it there was a 1/2 dozen yotes working on it.he backed away and let them have it. in ct you can not carry a handgun in the woods during hunting season. he said the state can kiss his butt he is carrying from now on.

garbear
10-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I have read an article in predator extreme mag. about trappers have noticed that instead of the coyote going to the end of the chain to get away they now charge the trapper despit being in a leg hold trap. I call them and always have my 357 with me.
Garbear

crabo
10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Here's the reply from our animal control guy.

"Your concern was forwarded to me for response. Animal Services responds to urban wildlife calls several times per week and many of the calls involve coyotes. As you can imagine, coyotes are present throughout the city particularly along greenbelts or undeveloped areas. Mitigation measures are very difficult. Since coyotes are considered a “high risk” species for rabies the only option we have is to trap and humanely euthanize problem animals. The trap is actually a snare and we have some success at catching problem coyotes. If you can give me a specific address or area where the coyotes have been seen I can have an Animal Service Officer scout the area for a spot to set the snare. If you’d like to discuss the problem directly call me at your convenience.

parrott1969
10-12-2012, 10:23 PM
When I was a kid growing up in central texas, the county used to pay $10-15 for a set of coyote ears. Does any state still offer a bounty on them?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-12-2012, 11:09 PM
any body wondered if it was that time of the month for the female security guard, hungry is hungry and anything hungry is an uncertain beast .

a friend back from his week long sit in the bow stand in central wis spotted more wolves than deer again this year , the scary part is they seem to follow some of the members of his hunting party back to to the truck if they sit and watch after returning to the truck they can see the wolf approach it had been following them at a distance.

our wolf season is stalled in court battle at this time , but much needed , the dnr trapping of problem wolves is not enough, and they are taking a fair number of complaints and wolves

NSP64
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
S
S
S
:drinks:

garbear
10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
When I was a kid growing up in central texas, the county used to pay $10-15 for a set of coyote ears. Does any state still offer a bounty on them?

My state went from 20-25 depending on the county to 50. You have to take a 10 question test on the divisions web sight, register with the state, provide the lower jaw and ears or pelt. Take to a certian location for documation. Provide grid coordinates and turn in a form to get 50 bucks. They are going to use the info to target cetian areas and hire contractors for predator control.

Garbear

gbrown
10-13-2012, 12:00 PM
In April, 2010, Gov Rick Perry, TX, was jogging in semi rural SE Austin with his young labrador when they were confronted by a coyote. Gov Perry (CHL permitee) drew his LCP in 380 and sent it to, in his words, "where coyotes go." Big headlines at the time. Most elected officials in TX are liscensees. We can carry in the woods at all times, unless landowner doesn't want it.

crabo
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Interesting video, slightly related to the topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BXCvLzDNWz0&feature=endscreen

firefly1957
10-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Coyotes are still afraid of people in my area of Michigan but I do shoot them on sight mostly when they get close to the house at night. Also we have several people who use dogs to hunt them locally.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
bear are afraid of people here, but largely because they are chases by dogs every bear season

wolves will be again when they are chases by dogs every fall

coyotes are mostly kept in check here by regular trapping and hunting

but when hungry coyotes will pick larger prey , here we had a pack chasing horses a few years back

Phat Man Mike
10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Well I've lost two small dogs in the past month to yotes. 1st was my oldest he was 18 almost 19 year's old , the girlfriend left the front door open and he wondered out and was takin. Somebody told her yotes only hunt at night. :-( Then yesterday evening she let the dogs out and some deer had just been in the yard. I'm thinking one of them was wounded from a bow hunter an was being tracked by the yotes and my dog got took because she was easier pray. :sad: Guess over fall break I need to thin the pack a lil

Char-Gar
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Timet to get a new girlfriend. I suspect she doesn't like the competition. When a woman causes two dogs to get taken by wild animals in the same month, that smells to high heavens.

firefly1957
10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
You could teach her to jog!Preferably at night.