PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the Double Flintlock

missionary5155
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Good afternoon
Got back from Pennsylvania yesterday afternoon so got the gear ready for an outdoor excursuion this morning. Woke up to 34 degrees and a 10 mph plus gusting wind but the promise of warming temperatures.
Arrived at opur local range about 8:30 and the wind was really scooting in from the southwest. The Range Shed gave a bit of protection and it was a good thing. Several times as I was trying to prime the pan a gust would wip through blowing the priming away.
The enclosed picture is the results. The target was placed at 25 yards. I did "cheat" with the first two shots as I had no idea where they would print. Learning two locks at once is a new experience. The left lock likes the flint seated "upside down". The right lock has a much stiffer main spring. But both like at least one half pan of primer. I think this is due to the long vent hole that pases into the breach plugs.
I experimented with 4F and 3F as priming and they both fired equally well.
Started the loading at 70 grains 2F. These are heavy thick walled barrels so it seemed to start with 60 grains to be beyond safty. 70 grains 2F under the .645 patched ball was a very mild shooting load. The two barrels did not disappoint either as they shot where they were pointed.
Decided to move up the load to 90 grains 2F. Fired the next two shots and was rewarded with a descent recoil and two more holes near the inverted T. Fired two more .645 balls and was able to finally recover a patch before the wind blew the fired patch to some other county. The thin cotton patch was burned through so switched to a .625 ball with a heavy canvas cotton type patch.
Fired my remaining .625 balls with 90 grains 2F. 16 caliber .62 and .64 shots total on the target. There are two other caliber .45 holes included as I was trying to get my 1911 resighted with a new adjustable site. Shots were a mix of me standing and sitting. Triggers are somewhat heavy shotgun triggers. No rear site just a screw head to use as a registration point for the front bead.
Maybe next week I will have time to do some pattern with #6 shot. Seems as though the barrels are reasonable well regulated already.
During the shooting I checked the unfired barrel to discover if the unfired ball had moved under recoil. Never did. I varied which side was fired first. Possibly a heavier 2F charge will unseat the unfired ball. A shot load may also and I wil be checking for that.
But if I had to run out the door tomorrow and engage a run away burrow I have complete confidence the double flinter with round ball is ready to do battle.. at least out to 25 yards with 90 grains of 2F. Now I must go clean the new addition to the frontstuffer group.
Mike in ILL

starmac
10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Sounds good so far.
I have another (dumb) question. Do you guys that hunt with a flintlock carry them all day with the pan primed, or do you have to prime it when you are ready for a shot.
I see where if the pan is primed in advance, the position you carry your rifle in may be important.

missionary5155
10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Greetings
Yes the pan is primmed before actually crashing through the bushes. Generally I carry my flinters with the hammer tilted towards the outside so the primming remains on the outside of the pan and not filtering into the flash hole.
Now this double ??? I am gonna have to experiment but I think I will do just whatever is comfortable and see what happens. The barrels and origonal stock are fitted with sling points so that is another option.
These L&R locks have good fitting pan covers so there is little worry of the primming leaking out. Have to start shaking it before firing it to see if it really makes any difference. I know some locks will fire in any position to include upside down. Mike in ILL

nekshot
10-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Wow! That is to good to call cool. I find my inner thoughts continually drifting to a flint double something and now you show this! Did you give more info on the gun in the past or did I miss it? Sure like what I see.

starmac
10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I have always stayed with percussion, as I know next to nothing about the flinters.
I am thinking I would like to try one, but have always had doubts about my ability to hold the gun steady with the flash. lol I shoot left handed and don't do well with right hand percussion.

waksupi
10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
That shoots pretty darn good. I wouldn't worry too much about a patched round ball separating from the powder in the off-barrel. Although I have heard it mentioned for years, I have never heard of anyone actually having a problem with it. Perhaps if you fired a long string with one barrel, it may migrate.

Just a heads up. If anyone gets a yearning for a double flinter, I had my hands on one a couple years ago, from a company on the east coast. It was made in India, and as far as I know, is the only commercially available modern made example.
On examination, the locks were extremely poor, having terrible geometry, lousy frizzens, and horrendous triggers. Worst of all, the barrels were made of tubing, and the breech plugs were only engaged MAYBE a quarter inch. I refused to shoot it. A very dangerous gun, so I highly recommend to scratch your itch elsewhere.

missionary5155
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Howdy Nekshot
There is more info in a previous post written last Thursday with some other photos. Should be on page two of this thread Muzzleloaders.
Have heard about those India doubles. I was looking into getting one until someone on Traditional Muzzleloaders got to one and pulled it apart. High pressure tubing just does not seem to ensure ones future. Have no idea what real burst pressure would be but I would not want one in my hands either. These Stoger barrels are threaded with nicely cut square threads about 1 in deep. The fit in the barrel on each side is tight.
Mike in ILL

Boerrancher
10-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Nice gun Mike, and some nice shooting. I like you carry my flinters to where the priming avoids the touch hole. It saves complications later. Can't wait to here how you resolve the issue with this one.

Best wishes,

Joe

Good Cheer
10-14-2012, 06:10 PM
I would dearly love to have a double flinter with sights on the one barrel being slow twist rifled and the other a little bigger smooth bore so that both loaded properly with the same ball and patch or shot and card.
.60 ball would be acceptable. 5/8" punch for the cards would work.

Mark Daiute
10-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I scanned through this post with a bit of sorrow. I had a 20 gauge double built by my friend, Chris Gilgun back in the early eighties. It was not being used enough and another friend wanted it so I sold it and paid the mortgage that month and bought some groceries.

Then I bought a very sweet Ketland double at auction. I held my breath hoping no-one would recognize it for the gem it was and I got lucky and bought it very reasonably. I restored it (that is to say I had it restored) to flint. The economy tanked and you guessed it, I sold it, paid the mortgage that month and bought some groceries.

Enjoy your double!

idahomike
10-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Fascinating gun. Seems like that fella would be a real hoot to fire.

toot
10-29-2012, 12:10 PM
DBL, FLINT LOCK SHOT GUN, i have a 20gauge FROM MIDDLE SEX GUNS IN new hampshire, i love to shoot it with both shot and 60cal rb with 60 grs of 2fg with news print for wadding, toot.

waksupi
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
DBL, FLINT LOCK SHOT GUN, i have a 20gauge FROM MIDDLE SEX GUNS IN new hampshire, i love to shoot it with both shot and 60cal rb with 60 grs of 2fg with news print for wadding, toot.

Those are the guns I examined, and condemned them as unsafe to shoot.

Col4570
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/10GFlintlockShotgun003.jpg

Hi this is a double 10 gauge I built during the 80s.
Best regards.
The Locks are lost wax castings copied from original Mortimer Locks.The Barrels are ex Breachloaders with sleeves in the Chambers and Breach Plugs made and fitted.The Stock is a branch from a Pear Tree.The Furniture is made from mild steel Plate.It took me 3 winter Months to make.It was proofed at the Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House here in the UK.

Col4570
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/10GFlintlockShotgun008.jpg
Another View.

waksupi
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
COl4570, you are a talented fellow. Thanks for sharing!