PDA

View Full Version : Brass more money than loaded ammo?

glowe
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I find it funny that I can buy 100 x Win 9mm Brass FMJ rounds for the same price as 100 x Win 9mm brass only. Am I missing something?
Some stores have the brass more money then full bullets with the exact brass.
:-?

snuffy
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
deleted

Cherokee
10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
IMHO whoever is selling 1F 9mm brass for the same price as factory ammo is way overcharging for the brass.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Look for some once fired 9mm brass. The stuff is dirt cheap. You should be able to get 1000 of them for around $35. Or just go to the local range, they are generally littered with 9mm brass you can pick up for free.

Bulldogger
10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
It happens plenty often so far as I've seen, especially for large brand name company brass. In my observation/opinion, empty brass doesn't sell in nearly the quantities of loaded ammunition, and there is a lot more loaded ammo floating around making the price vary with availability and demand as stocks fluctuate. Brass coems and goes, but not with the same volatility, as far as I've seen it.

These variations are why I tend to go straight for Starline when I want virgin brass, and then to wherever I can find a bucket of once fired the cheapest.

Bulldogger

0verkill
10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I find it funny that I can buy 100 x Win 9mm Brass FMJ rounds for the same price as 100 x Win 9mm brass only. Am I missing something?
Some stores have the brass more money then full bullets with the exact brass.
:-?

I find it funny that I can buy 100 x Win 9mm Brass FMJ rounds for the same price as 100 x NEW, Virgin, unfired Win 9mm brass only. Am I missing something?
Some stores have the brass priced higher than loaded cartridges with the exact same brass.

Maybe that fixed it so everyone can understand.

I'm shocked at some of the prices for brass as well, especially for more common cartridges that I can pick brass up for free.

glowe
10-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I find it funny that I can buy 100 x Win 9mm Brass FMJ rounds for the same price as 100 x NEW, Virgin, unfired Win 9mm brass only. Am I missing something?
Some stores have the brass priced higher than loaded cartridges with the exact same brass.

Maybe that fixed it so everyone can understand.

I'm shocked at some of the prices for brass as well, especially for more common cartridges that I can pick brass up for free.

lol, thanks
I still learning the casting lingo.

Dean D.
10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I can edit your title if you would like it to read more accurately. It takes time to learn the lingo, especially when our main stream media wont take the time to learn it themselves.

glowe
10-09-2012, 01:16 PM
lol, thanks
I still learning the casting lingo.

Yes, please

MtGun44
10-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Minor and super common mistake.

A bullet is a projectile and a the loaded round is a cartridge.

Since we are all "talking" by typing, and we are discussing a complex and fairly
technical subject, we have to be pretty precise with our words.

No offense, please, but we do have to work hard to use words exactly
correctly. Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but it is not really.

I have often bought ammo to shoot to get the brass because of this weird
situation.

Bill

jdgabbard
10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Guys if you're having problems finding once fired brass, check out these guys.

http://www.bluestarbrass.com/catalog/

Blue Star Cartridge and Brass has been getting me what I need at a decent price for quite some time. Right now they have prices on their website that show $6.95 for 100ct 9mm, $33.54 for 500ct, and 64.74 for 1000ct. Thats not a bad deal for brass. I may actually order some more myself. Although I already have about 4K in 9mm I think....and I don't really shoot that much 9mm.....

rexherring
10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Our local store had new empty .45 acp brass for $34 / 100 and Federal loaded for $36/ 100. So I'll use their powder, primers, and bullets until I have enough empties to reload my own.

hithard
10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
While the original post could have been written in a more concise manor.It was still fully understanable, but maybe it's just my graduate work in education that is helping me here. If you lacked the ability to understand what was trying to be said. Let me help you a little further in your endeavor to shoot cast boolits.

The shiny end should go in the guns chamber first. At this point please try really hard to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Lighten up ya'll....

P.M. if you would like some 9mm brass. I would be happey to send you what I have.

trapper9260
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
You can also go to gunbrokers.com for brass and orther parts you might need but watch the price and shipping .

runfiverun
10-09-2012, 10:51 PM
i alway's look at everything in the store when i'm looking to make a purchase.
it drives the wife nuts.
she will even ask me why i am looking at factory ammo,and i quote "you have enough stuff to make anything you want, and you can make stuff for guns we don't even own".
right before i mutter under my breath...yet.

glowe
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
While the original post could have been written in a more concise manor.It was still fully understanable, but maybe it's just my graduate work in education that is helping me here. If you lacked the ability to understand what was trying to be said. Let me help you a little further in your endeavor to shoot cast boolits.

The shiny end should go in the guns chamber first. At this point please try really hard to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Lighten up ya'll....

P.M. if you would like some 9mm brass. I would be happey to send you what I have.

I name everything from army slang. Brass is emply case's, Rounds are full bullets and Bullets are the shiny things on top of the rounds (LOL).

Thanks for the helping me finding cheaper cases. I found a place an hour away that sells 1000 x 9mm (once fired) cases for $52.50 CDN. Not too bad.
(brantshootingsports.com)

Now the hunt for 357 brass. F.U.N
Thanks Guys

wallenba
10-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Yep, at Midway today, Bertram brass for 8x56R Hungarian is on sale for $44 per 20. Regular price is $63.99 for 20!! However, reloadable PRVI 180 grain soft points are $ 23.49 for 20. No brainer here.

scarry scarney
10-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Guys if you're having problems finding once fired brass, check out these guys.

http://www.bluestarbrass.com/catalog/

Blue Star Cartridge and Brass has been getting me what I need at a decent price for quite some time. Right now they have prices on their website that show $6.95 for 100ct 9mm, $33.54 for 500ct, and 64.74 for 1000ct. Thats not a bad deal for brass. I may actually order some more myself. Although I already have about 4K in 9mm I think....and I don't really shoot that much 9mm.....

I email Pat at Bluestarbrass, they went out of business last year:-|. I guess it's been awhile since you used them? He sure had great prices for 25acp brass.

alrighty
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I buy most of my brass for my semi's, both pistol and rifle from Southern Belle Brass.The only problem is catching them with brass cases in stock.They always seem to have nickle though.A large percentage has been once fired and it is always very clean.
http://shop.southernbellebrass.com/c-16-9mm.aspx

Centaur 1
10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I've been really lucky with handgun brass, my buddy runs an indoor range. Semi-auto calibers are easy to get, I even have brass for calibers that I don't yet own a gun. When it come to common rifle calibers, I've experienced what your talking about. 30-30 brass runs $40/100 which is $8 for 20. I buy ammo for $14 a box at Wally World and since I need brass anyway, I think of it as paying only $6 a box.

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I have seen this frequently.

I recently bought a Ruger .327 Magnum.
I bought Federal loaded Ammo with half jacketed bullets for two cents each more than empty un-primed brass.

palmettosunshine
10-11-2012, 12:05 AM

Lighten up ya'll....

So let me see if I have this right. You claim graduate work in education yet misspell two words in your response (understanable, happey) and use the wrong word (manor) which should be manner to try and express your point? Where exactly did you do your graduate work?

hithard
10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Yup, lighten up! This is where I come to relax and shoot the ...... Not to give spelling, grammar, or punctuation lessons.

dave_g
10-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Strangely, I have bought new virgin 44 magnum brass from MidwayUSA cheaper than I could find once fired 44 magnum brass.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Strangely, I have bought new virgin 44 magnum brass from MidwayUSA cheaper than I could find once fired 44 magnum brass.

Same here.

Wolfer
10-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I thought I understood the OP just fine even though my education was not real good.
I'm sure I would have made it through the third grade if I hadnt got drafted.

Boyscout
10-13-2012, 02:50 AM
I do the same with 7.62X547R brass. Everytime I go to a gun show I pick up a box or two of Priv-Partisan loaded ammo. I bought 100 new one time. It may have been the last. The semi-auto, spray and pray types provide me with enough .45 ACP to replace the ones I lose.

0verkill
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
It was worse before glowe fixed it. A bunch of guys were giving him trouble about not being able to understand it is the reason I put up my post of a "corrected" version. I'm also pretty sure glowe was comparing new brass to loaded ammunition, not once-fired brass to newly manufactured ammo as some assumed. If we were picking at you too much I'm sorry. It's bad enough to have to learn the difference between a bullet and a cartridge after years of hearing TV, movies and the news not knowing the difference (and what are empty bullet casings?), but you come here and have to learn the difference between a bullet and a boolit!
Hithard, your "graduate work in education" didn't help too much with your post, did it? :) But in all seriousness, your head was the one in the right place offering him some brass. If hithard doesn't have enough I could probably scrounge a SFRB full of range pick-ups.

little willie
10-17-2012, 04:26 PM
$6.94 per 100 and $64.74 per 1000 once fired 9MM is cheap??? It wasn't too long ago that I advertised 3500 cleaned, once fired 9MM for $110.00 SHIPPED and very few folks bought any.

I'm getting ready to clean out 9MM (2 cents), .40 S&W (2 1/2 cents) and .45 ACP (5 1/2 cents) plus shipping.

I hope to have ads up in the next couple of days.

little willie