PDA

View Full Version : I found a new website for growing your own Tobacco

Dean D.
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I recently found a new website devoted to growing and processing your own tobacco and thought I would share a link to it here as I have seen other members post interest in giving it a try. I have found the members there to be very helpful and the website has a similar theme as Cast Boolits, i.e. roll your own!

FairTradeTobacco.com (http://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php)

If you are against the use of tobacco please create your own thread, do not trash this thread with derogatory comments about tobacco use.

Baja_Traveler
10-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Heck, why not grow your own. I don't smoke, but as taxed as tobacco is, I'm actually kind of surprised I don't see everyone who smokes growing it in the garden.

Dean D.
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
My point of this post Baja. I started growing my own 2 years ago and I've really enjoyed doing so.

dragonrider
10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
How tall does a typical tobacco plant get????

Dean D.
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
3 to 6 feet depending on the variety.

Hickory
10-09-2012, 01:44 PM
When I was a kid the neighbor grew his own tobacco.
I was only 10 or 11 at the time, and I only remember
that he treated it with molasses and made "chew" out of it.

reloader28
10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I was going to quit chewing, but nobody likes a quitter.
Pretty neat if I could make a Copenhagen clone. My brother chews Skoal.
I'll have to check it out. I dont have a greenhouse tho so the weather here might not work.

Just what I needed. Another hobby.:bigsmyl2:

ShooterAZ
10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I am interested in this. I would like to get some seeds and give it a try. I'm at 7000', but after looking on the sight a little, it should not be a problem.

waksupi
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Dean and I are both pretty close to the Canadian border, and the plants have a plenty long season to mature. I'm betting you could grow them for another couple hundred miles into Canada.

Houndog
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
If you will grow Clay's Kentucky 16 or Kentucky 31 by the same company, both are Burley varieties, will mature in about 3 months. The cooler temps don't seem to hurt real bad, but too much Water does! They started cutting about 200 acres of the stuff about 1/2 mile from my house today, and I DO NOT miss that AT ALL! The real trick to "home grown" is the processing from the dried leaf to useable tobacco. If you chew it or smoke just as it comes from the field you WILL be one sick puppy from a Tar and nicotene overload.

L1A1Rocker
10-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting. On another gun related board this topic came up. It seems that a lot of the high mantaince tobacco that grows in shade only can fetch some good prices.

Dean D.
10-09-2012, 10:34 PM
That would be Connecticut Shade Leaf, highly prized for cigar wrappers. They grow it under gauze like tenting material.