PDA

View Full Version : Lyman kit

dnmccoy
10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
So looking to cast my own now that I've got my reloading setup. I'm looking to start with 9mm but add .30 carb and possibly 30/06. Was looking at the Lyman big dipper kit midway has. Any reviews or experience from others is appreciated. I'm in research mode now but would like to start piecing stuff together

Link to kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/277310/lyman-big-dipper-furnace-starter-kit

UBER7MM
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
dnmccoy,

Welcome aboard. I prefer the Lee production pot because they pour from the bottom and can load the mold directly and without the use of a laddle. It just seems safer and without an extra step.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/637732/lee-production-pot-four-furnace-110-volt

I hope this helps,

Le Loup Solitaire
10-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi DN and welcome to the forum. The Lyman pot is indeed a dipper style pot and it is a good one. Another pot to consider is the Lee which is somewhat cheaper in price. Ladle casting is preferred by many people and many good bullets are produced by this method, but one thing that ought to be mentioned is that a 20 pound pot is also to be considered in order to avoid running out of alloy especially if one intends to cast a lot of bullets and if the size of the bullets will use a lot of lead. When you are hooked and like to cast it is easy to run through a whole lot of alloy-quickly. I myself use an old Saeco Model 34 which is a 20 pounder and it also doubles as a smelter pot for the melting down of WW's etc .and pouring ingots....something that most casters do not, or should not do in a bottom pour. Have a look as well under "melting pot" under E-Bay and see what is around and for how much; you might save a few bucks or look under our own "swappin & sellin " to see if anything you might want is for sale. You might also do a listing of your wants/needs there under "want to buy". You never know if it is your day. LLS

dnmccoy
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Great! I am picking up a propane burner to use for smelting in the morning, and will work on my smelting first. I guess another question I have is if I decide to go with a ladle pot how do you get the last little bit out of the bottom of the pot?

UBER7MM
10-09-2012, 10:29 PM
dnmccoy,

My first castings were out on a camp fire and tin coffee can as a pot. You can get the feel that way, then move up as time & money allow. That's how pioneers did it in the old days, although they probably used the family's Dutch oven. The point is it doesn't have to be high tech. Have some fun and enjoy.

fryboy
10-09-2012, 10:41 PM
you have to pour it out ( and a very good reason to have welders gloves and a good pair of channel locks !!! ) the link below is perhaps the best setup ( tho it could use a bigger pot by way !! ) in fact if you wish to ladle cast i'd suggest getting a feel for it right from your smelting pot , while most prefer to bottom pour there are times even when a ladle works better , what i wouldnt suggest is that if you get a electric pot is to smelt in it ( especially a bottom pour ) a dipper can be used with any pot that is large enough so figure on a dipper first , then after you have dipped a few from the smelting pot if you wish to continue this ummm hobby then move up to either 20 pound lee pot ( they make a bottom pour and a dipper model ) but umm the gloves , a good pair of channel locks and protective eyewear should be mandatory , ( lil things like that help keep it enjoyable lolz )

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/master-casting-kit.php

Gliden07
10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I have been doing this for only a few months. This is what I have for equipment, Turkey Fryer Burner, SS pot I picked up at Goodwill for $3.00, some cheap SS ladles bought at a Flea Market for a dollar a piece, a large and small SS spoon for stiring, scraping and Fluxing a Cheap SS spoon with holes in it for pulling out the clips that come off the WW's a couple old cookie sheets for the 3 Lee Molds (I picked up new) and to put hot dross and the spoons on. I just picked up a muffin pan to make different shape molds for softer lead again a couple bucks at Goodwill. A total investment of 60-70 bucks with the new molds and Turkey burner! CHEAP FUN!!!

I will update and get better stuff when the oppertunity presents itself. Gun Show coming up the end of the month!! Saving my money now!!

I think with everything including my loading equipment tumblers, dies, sizers, melters, ladels etc... I have only $250-$300 total into my "Setup". I can smelt, cast and load my own Boolits for less than a case of .45ACP store bought ammo. As far as I'm concerned money well spent!!

Lloyd Smale
10-10-2012, 04:43 AM
That kit has been around for MANY years. I started casting with one about 30 years ago. It served me well for a couple years. Its a bit slow but you can make excellent bullets if large production isnt on your agenda. Ive allways said that any new caster should start out ladle casting. You will not only learn how to do it but it lets you slow down and smell the roses and pay a bit more attention to things. Even if you outgrow some of it the small pot can allways be used to heat up lead to add to your bottom pour pot and although i prefer a star slzer anymore the lyman still will work well for specialty stuff later on. The kit is a good bang for the buck and a great learning tool.

dnmccoy
10-10-2012, 11:00 AM
http://images.craigslist.org/5Z25F35X43Ee3K53N7ca56caac70ee9531f78.jpg

Thats the fryer in looking at. I have a cast iron dutch oven Not sure on size yet..hafta dig it out

If im out at the second hand stores what is the best way to tell from aluminum or stainless steel pots or spoon.

dnmccoy
10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/dnmccoy/1349896583012.jpg

Lookie lookie what I found in the basement, its a 5qt cast iron pot and a 3 qt cast iron dutch oven. Will either one of these work for smelting?

H.Callahan
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Will either one of these work for smelting?Yes, and yes. I think I would probably favor the cast iron pot unless the lid to the dutch oven is removable. Having the lid accidentally drop closed while smelting might ruin your day.

dnmccoy
10-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Its removable, its sort of hinged but not attached

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/dnmccoy/1349899993666.jpg

Gliden07
10-10-2012, 10:40 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/dnmccoy/1349896583012.jpg

Lookie lookie what I found in the basement, its a 5qt cast iron pot and a 3 qt cast iron dutch oven. Will either one of these work for smelting?

So what are you still doing here??? Get Smelting!! LOL!!

dnmccoy
10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
No lead yet :(

H.Callahan
10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Its removable, its sort of hinged but not attached
Either would work, then. I would probably still lean towards the pot only for the reason that the dutch oven looks in excellent condition. I wouldn't want to pour lead in it when it could still be used to cook some wonderful meals (one thing I like as much as shooting/reloading/casting/etc. is eating!)

NoZombies
10-12-2012, 10:47 PM
(one thing I like as much as shooting/reloading/casting/etc. is eating!)

Heck, if I'm honest, I probably like eating more. I've certainly been doing it longer and I'm better at it!

I agree, keep the handled dutch oven for cooking, and use the pot (many people call that kind of pot a dutch oven BTW, it just appears yours doesn't have the lid.)

fryboy
10-12-2012, 11:28 PM
i agree the pot looks more like what we call a dutch oven , the pan looks to be a deep covered skillet ( most dutch ovens have bails as opposed to a handle ) and a lid that was made to cover with coals/embers , tho i cant tell from the foto what kind of lid it is , it'd work as such on a old wood stove tho

umm stay away from aluminum pans , they tend to not work very well ( great for deep fryin' turkeys tho ;) )

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2012, 04:00 AM
I too dont think id waste a good cast iron pan or pot for lead melting. Go to walmart and buy a stainless dutch oven. there not expensive.

dnmccoy
10-13-2012, 12:24 PM
The old pot is in pretty rough shape and I wouldnt use it to cook anyways, as we have others. I was at walmart today and looked into getting a muffin pan, how do you tell which ones are stainless or aluminum to make ingots with after smelting?

Gliden07
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
The old pot is in pretty rough shape and I wouldnt use it to cook anyways, as we have others. I was at walmart today and looked into getting a muffin pan, how do you tell which ones are stainless or aluminum to make ingots with after smelting?

Pretty sure they will say it on packaging if not, neither the SS or Aluminium will be magnetic.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Shown in post # 10 and others posts; the dutch oven is sometimes used for casting with a ladle or smelting. The other vessel shown is what some folks call a "turkey fryer",(deep enough for chicken parts, but it is in fact known in the cast iron world as a double skillet. This is where the bottom portion is deep and the top is also a skillet and is often used as such. It is connected by a slip style hinge and can stand up on it, but it isn't a good idea to leave it in that position. The double skillet was made in a couple of medium sizes usually a number 8 or 9, by Griswold and Wagner. In good condition....no pitting or rust, the unit can go for $50. to $100. It and the DO will work for melting lead; just remember to not beat on the cast iron especially when it is hot and full of alloy, and if you want to go back to cooking in it again make sure that you do a thorough job of cleaning to get rid of any residual lead. LLS