PDA

View Full Version : End of the month goings on

Buckshot
05-31-2007, 03:07 AM
When Donna and I took our little trip up 395 to Bishop a few months back, the 'Check Engine' light came on in the Sport Trac. I thought she was going to have a siezure when I mentioned it was on. I explained it wasn't like an 'Oil', 'Heat' or 'Bat' light coming on. But those never seemed to concern her in the past, so it was a worthless analogy. I finally convinced her it was no big deal, and since smoke didn't immediately begin billowing out she soon ignored it. The registration was up this month on it and it had to be smogged. First time since we'd bought it in '02. A check engine light is an immediate smog failure.

I had bought a OBD II code reader sometime back, and it said "Insufficient EGR operation". Since the EGR valve was handy I took it off, at the time but it was fine. So it was getting along toward the end of the month (like the 28th) I thought I might better check further. Consulting my handy Haynes book, there are 2 items upstream of the actual EGR valve that tell it how and when it will operate. One had 2 vacumn lines and a solenoid deal, and the other has merely a small flat black box that had an electrical plug, plus 2 small tubes from the exhaust manifold going to it. This was called the Differential Pressure Factoring Device (EGR), or DPF-E (in case you wondered if it had a shorter name).

Getting my nifty Simpson 260-5P multimeter a greatfull U.S Navy had given me upon my discharge, I followed the recommendations in the book. The EGR control unit (solenoid thingie) checked out. So I did the 1st step in checking the DPF-E. The 2nd step was stupid, and I wasn't going to do it. They wanted you to backcheck the signal input wire from the main engine computer. Heck, it's all cabled up and wrapped it a thick wad, plus they run it under and around every single thing that's bolted to the engine. I used the code checker to erase the code so the Check Engine light would go out.

I'd tried that before :-), but the light came back on, drat! Same deal this time. I just KNEW it was a dealer item but being Memorial Day those gomers wouldn't be open. I went to Kragen and they said they didn't have one, but could get it in like 6 days. Well heck! If they could get one, maybe someone HAD one? I went to NAPA. If anyone had one they would. Closed! Next was AutoZone. "Oh yes, we stock that item, Hmmm, but we're out. Would you like me to check our other stores?" Sure why not. Probably the only store to have one would be in Bakersfield or something.

Turns out the store on 40th and Waterman in Berdoo had two of'em, the hogs. Well, that's half way to Bakersfield, almost. Every Mexican in So. California must have been in the store or re-building their engine in the parking lot that day. I felt a bit out of place and the urge to shout Viva La Raza a couple times was strong. I'll bet at night when the place closes it's a real adventure cleaning the parking lot! I swear I parked next to a guy doing a brake job.

The AC in the Taurus had died a slow lingering death since last year so while I was wandering around in the store I bought a can of R134a and a valve and tube deal to give it a shot at doing it myself. I got in line at the parts counter behind Julio, Zapata, Don Diego, and Emilio. Behind the counter was Efugencio, Jesus, Zorro, Manuel, and a being that resembled a human sized soccer ball and of indeterminate sex. THAT'S the one I got. I never thought to look at the name tag as I was so mezmerized in trying to figure out exactly what I was dealing with. Whatever, something just wasn't quite right. You might not, but I sometimes wonder things like, "Do they STOCK uniforms like that, or did AutoZone have to order it special"?

The counterbeing got the part for me and it as only $30 vs the $215 I'd probably paid at Ford. I figured I'd just put the new part on in the parking lot. Everyone else was so why not me? Heck if I hadn't been so rushed I probably would have bought a filter and some oil and changed it right there too.

I got home, hooked up the code reader and erased the code. I started the truck and zounds! No Check Engine Light. However, I HAD erased it so I left it running and turned my attention to the Taurus. Since you have to put the stuff in from the low pressure side, Ford hid the thing. The high pressure one is right out front and even has a tag that says, "Don't put it in here". I would have appreciated it if it had maybe given directions, or at least a clue to where the LP one was. Smart guy I am, I traced the fat refrigerant line line back toward the firewall. Under a piece of plastic screwed to the firewall was the gizmo. I successfully didn't blow myself up.

So now the Taurus is cooling like an Indiana winter and the check engine light still hadn't come back on. I felt so accomplished. The Sport Trac passed it's smog this afternoon with flying colors and as I type this the registration payment is out in the mailbox. I hope they go by the postmark date like the IRS :-)

.................Buckshot

dubber123
05-31-2007, 04:41 AM
Good post Buckshot, it's indeed nice doing stuff yourself and having it actually work! Not paying the dealership 385$ an hour is pretty cool too.

MT Gianni
05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Nice work. How is that little dodge Pickup treating you? Gianni.

Buckshot
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Nice work. How is that little dodge Pickup treating you? Gianni.

...........I haven't had a chance to do anything other then the initial stuff I did. Tilt steering wheel is still floppy, trans and transfer case needs a drain and re-fill I'm sure. Have a moderate ATF leak from somewhere, but it's offset to one side which gives me hope it's not the front seal. AC doesn't work, but that's no big deal if it does or doesn't.

It has eleventy hunnert zerks on the front end and drive shafts that haven't been lubed yet either. Years back I'd bought a air powered greasegun for a 77 Suburban 3/4 ton Trailering Special we had and it too was covered with zerks. However, my daughter managed to bash it into the side of a bridge and destroy a recent $850 front end rebuild, a monster custom radiator and a built TH400 with Allison torque converter. SO there went my need for the grease gun :-)

I was going to toss it but never worked up the energy which is good, because now I have a need for it again. The Dodge starts instantaneously, and runs like a champ. It drives straight, has no odd bangs or rattles and seems tight (other then the tilt wheel). This is all amazing to me since my father in law owned it. He can walk past a piece of machinery and it will disintegrate :-)

DanWalker
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
So, since you're feeling ambitious, I just picked up a 4.5" lift kit, shocks, new transfer case with cv driveshaft, and a set of 33" tires, all for my jeep.
It's only about an 18 hour drive from cali to casper. You could just make a long weekend of it. Heck I might even take you out and show you a prairie dog or two to shoot at. (after you get my lift installed, of course)

SharpsShooter
06-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Put me down next for the Jeep work schedule.

Junior1942
06-01-2007, 07:36 AM
A while back a fellow was showing me his little red Ferrari which he kept in his garage and seldom drove. For some reason I asked about the cost of a tune up. The answer: $3,000.

Bubba w/a 45/70
06-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm soo happy in ND, you can drive things with straight pipes, no smog crap, and whatever else is wrong with your vehicle (smoke billowing out of back/whatever) without any worries from the troopers/cops stopping you, other than to make sure you are alright.

One of the favorite things to do on vehicles used to be to take off the catalytic converter so those never have the chance to plug up on us out here....they always seemed to run bettter after that. Now it isn't so easy anymore to "fix" those little things like it used to be.

DLCTEX
06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
The check engine light on my Chevy pickup came on a while back, so after a couple of days I ran it by my local parts changer for analysis. The code said O2 sensor. The truck has five of them, so he wanted to change them all "cause if one is bad the rest will go out soon." $125 each + labor, no thanks. Chevy dealer said they could analyse and see which one was bad, $75 for test. I left to consider my options. The next day the light was out and several thousand miles later, it's still out. My Ford Crown Vic. was running bad last week, but no codes set. The only thing that the computer doesn't analyse is fuel, so figuring water in fuel was the problem I put in a bottle of fuel conditioner. The parts person said there had been lots of fuel complaints. Fixed it. I'm a Happy man. Dale

Newtire
06-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Getting my nifty Simpson 260-5P multimeter a greatfull U.S Navy had given me upon my discharge, I followed the recommendations in the book. The EGR control unit (solenoid thingie) checked out. So I did the 1st step in checking the DPF-E. The 2nd step was stupid, and I wasn't going to do it. They wanted you to backcheck the signal input wire from the main engine computer. Heck, it's all cabled up and wrapped it a thick wad, plus they run it under and around every single thing that's bolted to the engine. I used the code checker to erase the code so the Check Engine light would go out.

I got home, hooked up the code reader and erased the code. I started the truck and zounds! No Check Engine Light. However, I HAD erased it so I left it running and turned my attention to the Taurus. Since you have to put the stuff in from the low pressure side, Ford hid the thing. The high pressure one is right out front and even has a tag that says, "Don't put it in here". I would have appreciated it if it had maybe given directions, or at least a clue to where the LP one was. Smart guy I am, I traced the fat refrigerant line line back toward the firewall. Under a piece of plastic screwed to the firewall was the gizmo. I successfully didn't blow myself up.

So now the Taurus is cooling like an Indiana winter and the check engine light still hadn't come back on. I felt so accomplished. The Sport Trac passed it's smog this afternoon with flying colors and as I type this the registration payment is out in the mailbox. I hope they go by the postmark date like the IRS :-)

That's quite a good piece of work Buckshot. I don't know if that's one of the old Simpson 260's like I had but if it's the analog type (Japanese for "needle type"), just don't ever hook it into a circuit while it's being powered by the computer. The newer meters (digital style) have a high impedance built in to prevent the computer from allowing so much current flow that it fries the micro-circuits. As long as you are disconnectoed from the puter, and it's not powered up thru the puter, nothing gets hurt. If you need to get one, they cost about $60-$100 and should have 10-20 Mega-ohm impedance.

I get to change the timing belt on my Honda this week. They make these things so they cost a heap to fix anymore.

Newtire
06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
A while back a fellow was showing me his little red Ferrari which he kept in his garage and seldom drove. For some reason I asked about the cost of a tune up. The answer: $3,000.

A couple of years ago, I was in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles waiting to register and a guy who was behind me was complaining that he had to stand in line and with all he was paying, why should he be forced to stand in line with the likes of us (basically). He was paying $8000.00 to register his car! It was either a Maseratti or Ferrari. Another guy with a BMW was paying $3500.00. I guess it was wrong of me to not share in the guy's anguish.

KCSO
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I had a similar problem with my jeep so I cut the wires to the check engine light and have had no problems since.

Gussy
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
The anti lock brake light came on. Asked the dealer, $650.00 to replace the computer. That's over 10% of the value of the car. Asked what would happen if it wasn't fixed. He said you would have to drive it like a real car. Problem solved.

Went for test drive in a car for my daughter. Light came on, I asked the sales man what's that about? He said you're supposed to shift now!! My response... you have got to be sh*tting me!!!! (hadn't driven a stick in a few years I guess)
Gus

pumpguy
06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Took the wifes Sequoia in for a squeal under the hood. Truck has 89000 miles on it, so, I needed to replace the timing belt and the serpentine belt. $650.00. I thought that was a lot of money until I realized this is the only thing I have done to it except tires and a power antenna that did not stand up to the whirling brushes of the local car wash.

Buckshot
06-07-2007, 03:24 AM
............Newtire, I got out of the Navy in '73, and yes it has a needle. It's in a sailorproof armored case and it's like a cinderblock with a handle. It's the price paid to be able to accidently drop it halfway up a ladder and have it go, 'bang, bang, clunk, bang,' down the treads then, ' bang-clattery-thump' as it hit the deck and bounced before lying there quietly. It still worked fine.

The Sport Trac has 92K on it and this is the first issue with it. Second set of tires. The factory tires were Generals and had almost 60K on'em when we had tread seperations on the 2 fronts. Still had lots of tread. Have Cooper Discoverers on it now with a 70K treadlife and road hazard warrenty. It has the same serpentine belt the factory put on. There is a long run from the power steering pump back to the crank where the ribs are easily visible. No cracks or splits across the ribs. I think the backside may wear out first :-)

My only complaint with it is the fuel mileage @ 20-21 on trips. I'd think a modern 4L V6 SOHC fuel injected computer controlled engine should do better then that. Could be gearing as it has a respectable towing allowance, plus it isn't the most areodynamic thing on the road :-)

...............Buckshot

Newtire
06-07-2007, 09:28 AM
............Newtire, I got out of the Navy in '73, and yes it has a needle. It's in a sailorproof armored case and it's like a cinderblock with a handle. It's the price paid to be able to accidently drop it halfway up a ladder and have it go, 'bang, bang, clunk, bang,' down the treads then, ' bang-clattery-thump' as it hit the deck and bounced before lying there quietly. It still worked fine.

The Sport Trac fuel mileage @ 20-21 on trips. I'd think a modern 4L V6 SOHC fuel injected computer controlled engine should do better then that. Could be gearing as it has a respectable towing allowance, plus it isn't the most areodynamic thing on the road :-)

...............Buckshot

I got out of the Nav in August '72. Bought a Simpson 260 at a flea market from a guy my wife knew for $20. They don't make them like that anymore.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the mileage as I have a '93 Ranger with a 3.0L and it gets only 22 on the commute to work over the freeway. Kinda wish they would get alot better though.

Air effects do play a part though as the mileage went from 21 to 22 by putting one of those Tupperware toolboxes behind the cab. The guy I bought it from used to drive with the tailgate down and I just discovered this by accident. I guess the air deflects off the toolbox before getting trapped by the tailgate.