PDA

View Full Version : An all black gun show?

Recluse
10-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, not exactly.

Most of the gun shows that happen here in north Texas occur in Dallas (Market Hall) or Mesquite or Fort Worth. Either way you cut it, it's about a twenty/thirty mile and two-hour drive from where I live. What's more, admission prices have gotten crazy and add that to the ridiculous prices the vendors are asking topped off by every other table being jewelry or beef jerky or something else non-gun related. . .

So we have a gun show for the first time since I've been back in Texas (fourteen years) in my own backyard. Admission was only $8, free parking and lots of it--except that the center the show was at was PACKED by show-goers. That's a good thing!

I pay my fee and walk in and start browsing. It's been years, literally, since I last wasted an afternoon (and money) at a gun show.

First thing I noticed was that it seemed like half the show was black--black guns, that is. ARs out the ying-yang. Black handguns. Black shotguns. Black accessories. Black clothing. Black bags. Black hats. Black glasses. Black scopes. Black flashlights.

It was a tacti-poser's dream come true.

For the record, I'm not into black guns or black accessories. I'm not really into anything "tactical" and I want to puke, literally, every time I turn on the Sportsman or Outdoor Channel and see these wannabes teaching "tactical" this and "tactical" that and then listen to them pontificate about how to stay in a constant state of paranoia and be prepared to draw down on every shadow that flickers.

On the other hand, I'm kinda glad for all the black nonsense because the younger generation just thinks it's cooler than hell and it gives them the chance to act and feel like they were in the military or law enforcement. That's actually a GOOD thing because most of them VOTE and they're not going to put up with gun control and assault weapons bans and all that nonsense.

And there were a LOT of young folks at this gun show. And. . . lots of women, too.

Good thing. Real good thing.

It was a fairly large show--someone said over 500 tables. It took some doing, but I wandered around and found old fashioned brown guns with levers and bolts and cylinders. Prices weren't bad either. Almost all the vendors were friendly and pleasant and almost all were more than willing to bargain.

I did, however, almost cause a small riot when I got in a vendor's face and called him an unpleasant name. . .

He, the vendor, had a large setup and was whining about how Obama was going to win the election. The two single ladies he was whining too kept arguing with him, but the more they argued (they were big-time Romney supporters, they were college-educated, well-dressed, well-spoken and each had their CHL), the more this numbnuts whined.

He said when Obama wins his second term, he's "giving up" and going to clear out his guns and "retire." He was about my age, but he had pusscakes written all over him.

A crowd had gathered around listening to him whine and I'd had enough. I asked him what he was doing to help Romney win and he said, "Nothing. I don't like him either."

I exploded. I called him a big (f-bomb ing female cat's reproductive genitalia) and went up one side of him and down the other. Two of his employees/associates/co-whiners/fellow-maxipad users came over and got in my face.

Big mistake. I invited them to make their best move. A couple of guys wearing Vietnam Veteran ballcaps moved around me and got in the two guys' faces who'd challenged me. In a flash, there were about twenty folks raising nine kinds of hell with this guy.

And as quick as it started, it was over. The two women, who'd been ready to purchase a couple of j-frame lightweight S&Ws took their ATF forms and tore them up. The taller one literally threw her torn up form in the pusscake's face and told him, "I bet you sit down to pee more often than I do!"

I bet this guy won't be there on Sunday. But then again, appeasement-minded people like him have no pride and they have no shame.

Other than him, it was a very good gun show. I talked with the show's organizers and they told me that they have like four more scheduled in the upcoming six to eight months.

I think I'm going to buy a table for the one in January and set up to sell and sign books.

:coffee:

crabo
10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
And as quick as it started, it was over. The two women, who'd been ready to purchase a couple of j-frame lightweight S&Ws took their ATF forms and tore them up. The taller one literally threw her torn up form in the pusscake's face and told him, "I bet you sit down to pee more often than I do!"

That would have been worth the price of admission, right there!

firefly1957
10-06-2012, 08:42 PM
You made a good point if he is not helping Romney he is letting bummer have more time to steal our country from us!

Mal Paso
10-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm into Wheelguns and Leather, Crossdressing Tactical not so much, But you say there's women? :drinks:

Thumbcocker
10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I doubt that I will ever participate in a ppc match or a cowboy shoot. If that is your thing, however, go for it. They both burn powder and some folks have a good time doing them. Armed citizens peaceably assembling is fine with me. Same with black rifles and pistols. Not my thing but if they are yours go forth and enjoy.

km101
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Lewisville show? If so, I think I must have heard the same guy before you got to him. A real gloom and doom-er. And this was at 9:00am. Dont know if it was the same guy, but I hope there is not 2 of that type around. Tlhey dont want to work for change, they just want to sit on their *** and complain.
Glad you called him down.

merlin101
10-06-2012, 09:46 PM
It's unbelievable that some of these stupid twits out there say they won't vote for Romney because they wanted someone else, don't they know thats the same as voting FOR obama?

but try not to start a riot at a gun show, we don't need anymore bad press . lol

Rooster
10-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I hope you don't draw a table close to this winner.

smoked turkey
10-06-2012, 09:56 PM
We are proud of you Recluse for your stand on this important issue. I know that this guy never had a chance with you in his face. I can just picture the others backing you up. It may take all of us doing similar things if we are to save this country from stupid people who just don't get it.

runfiverun
10-06-2012, 10:02 PM
romney winnin would be bad for business.
the world is only gonna end if there is a democrat wearing a red flag on his lapel in office.
[well our part of it anyway]
unless of course the zombie virus is accidentally let loose...... sheesh,,,, everybody knows that.

Bad Water Bill
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
You should have informed the whiner that IF BHO is re elected ALL guns will be confiscated so all of the money the whiner has spent on stuff for that table will vanish the day after the election by presidential decree and he will have to start washing dishes for a living if he wants to eat.

Love Life
10-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Did somebody say tactical? Oh laws Jesus. I love seeing the gear *censored by LL* with flashlight pouches, sandwich pouches, pouch pouches, nunchuka pouches, spare pouch pouches all over them. Makes me giggle like a little school girl.

Recluse
10-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Heh, the hardest thing to find at that show was a semi-auto that didn't have those "rail" things attached to it.

AND. . . for the first time in my life, I actually picked up and held a Smith & Wesson M&P! Took me five minutes at the sink in the men's room to wash the bad feeling off.

Smith & Wesson making plastic guns. . . it just ain't RIGHT.

(Kidding, kidding, kidding. . . sorta )

*Sigh* I miss the days of plain ol' Sig guns made with some metal, no "tactical attachment zombie killer gizmo rail devices)--just a plain old P220 or P226.

Did not see a single Colt 1911, although I did see some other 1911 guns--in particular a Remington that really felt good and which felt VERY solid and well-constructed.

That will be a new discussion topic.

A few friends of mine are convinced I'm going to get shot one of these days because I seem to get more contrarian and confrontational with idiots like the gun-dealer/pusscakes I told off. Bottom line is, I don't care. Apathy is killing us slowly, and I for one am tired of dying the death of a thousand cuts. I'm cutting back.

Oh, and on that line, I saw the most blasphemous, sacrilege thing. . . A USMC K-bar knife. . . made in China.

I almost cussed the guy out for even having it on his table.

Artful
10-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm into Wheelguns and Leather, Crossdressing Tactical not so much, But you say there's women? :drinks:

I thought the wild west circuit already had women
http://www.curtrich.com/raquel_welch_gun.jpg

Did somebody say tactical? Oh laws Jesus. I love seeing the gear *censored by LL* with flashlight pouches, sandwich pouches, pouch pouches, nunchuka pouches, spare pouch pouches all over them. Makes me giggle like a little school girl.

the Mall Ninja black pajama group
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111108150941/metro2033/images/4/41/RU_engineer_2.jpg

has women too...
http://gunsforeveryone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/girls_with_guns8.jpg
sorry about the trigger on the finger!

Plate plinker
10-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I vote for the first one in that line up, she is guilty and needs a pat down.

Artful
10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I vote for the first one in that line up, she is guilty and needs a pat down.

Your a little late to the party
Jo Raquel Tejada, better known as Raquel Welch, is an American actress, author and sex symbol. Welch came to attention as a "new-star" on the 20th Century Fox lot in the mid-1960s - Born: September 5, 1940 (age 72), Chicago

But you do have good taste ;)

waksupi
10-07-2012, 12:37 AM
I've been noticing a lot more women at the local gun shows, and they are buying.

Artful
10-07-2012, 12:38 AM
It's a more dangerous world than it was even 10 years ago...

Ickisrulz
10-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Jo Raquel Tejada, better known as Raquel Welch, is an American actress, author and sex symbol. Welch came to attention as a "new-star" on the 20th Century Fox lot in the mid-1960s - Born: September 5, 1940 (age 72), Chicago

And she's a conservative.

Bad Water Bill
10-07-2012, 01:29 AM
I do not remember how many Christmases she spent with BOB HOPE. She put many a smile on a homesick GIs face.

Yes you do indeed have good taste.

Recluse
10-07-2012, 02:01 AM
I do not remember how many Christmases she spent with BOB HOPE. She put many a smile on a homesick GIs face.

Her and Ann Margaret.

And yep, I'm glad, glad, glad there are more women at gun shows and getting CHLs.

Flinchrock
10-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Well, not exactly.

Most of the gun shows that happen here in north Texas occur in Dallas (Market Hall) or Mesquite or Fort Worth. Either way you cut it, it's about a twenty/thirty mile and two-hour drive from where I live. What's more, admission prices have gotten crazy and add that to the ridiculous prices the vendors are asking topped off by every other table being jewelry or beef jerky or something else non-gun related. . .

So we have a gun show for the first time since I've been back in Texas (fourteen years) in my own backyard. Admission was only $8, free parking and lots of it--except that the center the show was at was PACKED by show-goers. That's a good thing!

I pay my fee and walk in and start browsing. It's been years, literally, since I last wasted an afternoon (and money) at a gun show.

First thing I noticed was that it seemed like half the show was black--black guns, that is. ARs out the ying-yang. Black handguns. Black shotguns. Black accessories. Black clothing. Black bags. Black hats. Black glasses. Black scopes. Black flashlights.

It was a tacti-poser's dream come true.

For the record, I'm not into black guns or black accessories. I'm not really into anything "tactical" and I want to puke, literally, every time I turn on the Sportsman or Outdoor Channel and see these wannabes teaching "tactical" this and "tactical" that and then listen to them pontificate about how to stay in a constant state of paranoia and be prepared to draw down on every shadow that flickers.

On the other hand, I'm kinda glad for all the black nonsense because the younger generation just thinks it's cooler than hell and it gives them the chance to act and feel like they were in the military or law enforcement. That's actually a GOOD thing because most of them VOTE and they're not going to put up with gun control and assault weapons bans and all that nonsense.

And there were a LOT of young folks at this gun show. And. . . lots of women, too.

Good thing. Real good thing.

It was a fairly large show--someone said over 500 tables. It took some doing, but I wandered around and found old fashioned brown guns with levers and bolts and cylinders. Prices weren't bad either. Almost all the vendors were friendly and pleasant and almost all were more than willing to bargain.

I did, however, almost cause a small riot when I got in a vendor's face and called him an unpleasant name. . .

He, the vendor, had a large setup and was whining about how Obama was going to win the election. The two single ladies he was whining too kept arguing with him, but the more they argued (they were big-time Romney supporters, they were college-educated, well-dressed, well-spoken and each had their CHL), the more this numbnuts whined.

He said when Obama wins his second term, he's "giving up" and going to clear out his guns and "retire." He was about my age, but he had pusscakes written all over him.

A crowd had gathered around listening to him whine and I'd had enough. I asked him what he was doing to help Romney win and he said, "Nothing. I don't like him either."

I exploded. I called him a big (f-bomb ing female cat's reproductive genitalia) and went up one side of him and down the other. Two of his employees/associates/co-whiners/fellow-maxipad users came over and got in my face.

Big mistake. I invited them to make their best move. A couple of guys wearing Vietnam Veteran ballcaps moved around me and got in the two guys' faces who'd challenged me. In a flash, there were about twenty folks raising nine kinds of hell with this guy.

I bet this guy won't be there on Sunday. But then again, appeasement-minded people like him have no pride and they have no shame.

Other than him, it was a very good gun show. I talked with the show's organizers and they told me that they have like four more scheduled in the upcoming six to eight months.

I think I'm going to buy a table for the one in January and set up to sell and sign books.

Good job!!!!

imashooter2
10-07-2012, 07:18 AM

Frankly, I wouldn't get all upset about examining the wares today. Seems that I'm not exactly 22 years old anymore either...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/22/article-2105039-11DA20E0000005DC-585_306x482.jpg

Bad Water Bill
10-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Neither am I even 52 but Please let me dream and try to remember.:drinks:

oldred
10-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Ok my turn to rant a little and some may disagree but I get tired of this "tactical" thing being everywhere I look these days- looked at a magazine rack lately? The book rack at stores was a favorite way for me to kill time if I had to wait on my wife while shopping but no more, there is little else there now but endless and repetitive articles on the latest Captain Billy Whiz-Bang space gun and all the latest must have accessories. Last year my son wanted to bring a buddy over to our farm from where he works so they could shoot his new rifle, this was a sight to behold! The fellow arrived wearing desert camo, combat boots, a canteen, 4 spare mags, a K-Bar, a GPS unit and what looked to be about 10 lbs of other assorted junk clipped onto various parts of his body- still don't know what that thing was in his ear. His AR was about the same, it was so loaded down with all the latest "Gizmos" I could hardly make out the actual rifle and it had so many handles and other protrusions when he handed it to me I was not even sure of what to hold onto! To each his own I guess and I support his right to enjoy the sport any way he sees fit but I honestly just can't understand, I mean honestly all this just to shoot at a paper target pinned to a bale of straw against a dirt berm?

Just my opinion but I think the goofiest thing I have seen was on the Marlin forum, a "tactical" 1895 in 45/70! This stupid (yep I called it stupid) looking thing had a vertical fore-grip, tactical light and a bunch of other accessories that not only looked totally out of place but obviously made the rifle clumsy and were just in the way. Most of the comments there made fun of the thing but a couple of the guys actually liked it, like I said before to each his own but at some point it starts to get ridiculous.

felix
10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Actually, I thought the very same about the cowboy lever guns, and not just too long ago either! Had no idea about their fun until I was attacked by charging beer cans and needed something to retaliate with. ... felix

Artful
10-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Ok my turn to rant a little and some may disagree but I get tired of this "tactical" thing being everywhere I look these days- looked at a magazine rack lately? The book rack at stores was a favorite way for me to kill time if I had to wait on my wife while shopping but no more, there is little else there now but endless and repetitive articles on the latest Captain Billy Whiz-Bang space gun and all the latest must have accessories. Last year my son wanted to bring a buddy over to our farm from where he works so they could shoot his new rifle, this was a sight to behold! The fellow arrived wearing desert camo, combat boots, a canteen, 4 spare mags, a K-Bar, a GPS unit and what looked to be about 10 lbs of other assorted junk clipped onto various parts of his body- still don't know what that thing was in his ear. His AR was about the same, it was so loaded down with all the latest "Gizmos" I could hardly make out the actual rifle and it had so many handles and other protrusions when he handed it to me I was not even sure of what to hold onto! To each his own I guess and I support his right to enjoy the sport any way he sees fit but I honestly just can't understand, I mean honestly all this just to shoot at a paper target pinned to a bale of straw against a dirt berm?

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/classifieds/images/2012_05_23/11776/1337749579_0.jpg

Just my opinion but I think the goofiest thing I have seen was on the Marlin forum, a "tactical" 1895 in 45/70! This stupid (yep I called it stupid) looking thing had a vertical fore-grip, tactical light and a bunch of other accessories that not only looked totally out of place but obviously made the rifle clumsy and were just in the way. Most of the comments there made fun of the thing but a couple of the guys actually liked it, like I said before to each his own but at some point it starts to get ridiculous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Marlin_Tactical_Cowboy189545-70.jpg

How tacticool can you be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q362H-xg0ZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhc7YSuepNE

The REAL stuff
http://paladinarmory.com/Photos%20for%20PA%20website/m-4%20MWS.jpg

So how much Molle do you need - watch the video for a laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAIFP2pfew

In all seriousness - a lot of the current stuff is better than older way of doing things
look at how you can to carry stuff during our preceding conflicts,
I talked to a WW2 vet who said they would have killed for some of the current issue gear.

WW1
english
http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/gall/pix/images/15.jpg

WW2
english
http://www.chiddingstone.kent.sch.uk/homework/war/images/kit.jpg
American
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6311/0532fw.jpg

Korea
http://static.flickr.com/3076/3198336373_a8aa688184.jpg

Vietnam
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Bruce_Crandall's_UH-1D.jpg/300px-Bruce_Crandall's_UH-1D.jpg

Iraq
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_814YV4febik/TGx_9qnXB7I/AAAAAAAAMLg/A2ydw2OSkTo/s1600/Iraq-War.jpg

Afganistan
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c197.0.403.403/p403x403/384320_427485117311145_1653810611_n.jpg

And of course all the Walter Mitty's want the same kind of kit

MtGun44
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
First - good one on the whiner. I love the comment from the 'almost customer'!

Second, Keep the black gun thing in perspective.

In 1895 most Americans owned a lever gun and a single action revolver. Then WW1
happened and they were taught on bolt guns and the 1911. Their tastes changed as
the technology changed. Pretty soon a hunting rifle was a M70 or Mauser sporter
and a self defense gun might be a 1911, or was a double action revolver.

Now we have a new generation coming back (altho not all are coming home, sadly)
from fighting the jihadists and they learned about M4s with optics and lights and
vertical forends, M9 (Berettas) and such. This is what they want to buy, and their
buddies that did not join up, think that these the coolest guns, too. Times change.

Rem and others are making ARs for hunting (camo painted) and there are a lot
of Beretta 92s being sold. I have a young friend that started with a Beretta 92
and I didn't bad mouth it, helped him gain a pretty good level of skill with it. He
tried my 1911s and was impressed. Eventually, he bought a junker Taurus 1911
for $200. I replaced everything except frame, slide and bbl with Ed Brown parts
and it now runs well. He is now finding that he can shoot better and faster with
the 1911, and he is a left hander. Slowly, he has come to understand that while
the Beretta 92 is a good tool, that there are real reasons that the 1911 is still
popular - so he is open to learning about older guns. I never told him that his
9mm was crummy, just mentioned that it wasn't my first choice. He slowly has
learned to be a more broad based shooter.

It's a new generation of young guys, don't be at odds with them, be friendly and there
will be teachable moments that will come along from time to time.

This young man knows that if I teach him something, it came from years of learning
what works and he listens. I value this relationship, and enjoy the opportunity to
mentor a new shooter. And he is pretty darned good with that Beretta, too. He
just got an AR and I am helping him learn to make it run - it was really crudded up
and had to us the carrier scraper.

Generations change.

Bill

Houndog
10-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree 100% with oldred the "tacticool" garbage IS just that! I own an ar15 in the USMC A2 configuration that's as close to the original as I can get and still be legal. It's built right, runs right and is extremely accurate. If you want to see the lightbulb in the make believe tacticool types brain come on hand them an AR that shoots like they should WITHOUT all the toys that hinder the way the rifle SHOULD work!

oldred
10-07-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.barking-moonbat.com/images/uploads/Marlin_Tactical_Cowboy.jpg

How tacticool can you be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q362H-xg0ZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhc7YSuepNE

So how much Molle do you need - watch the video for a laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAIFP2pfew

Yep, that's the kind of thing I am talking about.

I am already familiar with that particular 1895 and I even thought of posting that pic but (fortunately) that thing is not real and does not actually exist I don't think, I might be wrong however. Couldn't watch the 'tube videos yet because of a connection problem but maybe that will be corrected by tomorrow.

The one I mentioned on the Marlin site from a couple of years ago was not as modified as that illustration and was just a basic 1895 lever gun with a ton of junk attached to it, it still retained the wooden butt stock and forearm but with a goofy looking vertical grip attached (I bet that would have been fun with a heavy loaded round!). It would have been funny if it had of been a joke but the only funny thing about it was that some people liked it! :groner:

oldred
10-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Fellows don't get me wrong I am not saying the military shouldn't have the latest and greatest nor am I saying there is anything wrong with someone wanting an AR, there is definitely a place for that kind of technology and I certainly understand why someone would want one. It's all the useless garbage that's nothing more than bling and mostly just in the way that I take exception to, still I would never tell someone they have no right to own these things and adorn them the way they want to! It's just that when the bling starts to get in the way of function and a rifle is carrying it's own weight in useless gadgets that would more likely hinder it's use than enhance it that the whole thing starts to get ridiculous.

MtGun44
10-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Sure, anything can be over done, and often is.

Bill

perotter
10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Keep the black gun thing in perspective.

A new generation guys.

Bill

A couple of years ago I took the then 11 year old to pick out a deer rifle at a dealer that had about anything you could think of. In her mind a gun should be black. When I showed her a 'normal' wooden stocked rifle, she said we'd have to paint it black.

I may not fully understand, but that's ok.

Artful
10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Yep, that's the kind of thing I am talking about.

I am already familiar with that particular 1895 and I even thought of posting that pic but (fortunately) that thing is not real and does not actually exist I don't think, I might be wrong however. Couldn't watch the 'tube videos yet because of a connection problem but maybe that will be corrected by tomorrow.

The one I mentioned on the Marlin site from a couple of years ago was not as modified as that illustration and was just a basic 1895 lever gun with a ton of junk attached to it, it still retained the wooden butt stock and forearm but with a goofy looking vertical grip attached (I bet that would have been fun with a heavy loaded round!). It would have been funny if it had of been a joke but the only funny thing about it was that some people liked it! :groner:

Stange Google image search on Tactical 1895 didn't pull up any with vertical grip on it?

The one I posted was just the first one I saw, other didn't look near as radical. :bigsmyl2:

Did find some other goofy lookers
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011_04_25_22_08_58_15-tfb.jpg

Mossburg's contribution
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/img_6268-tfb.jpg
Mossberg Tactical 464 SPX Lever Action

This one was obviously just for fun or needs more work
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/1197/img1574td0.jpg

But might be real popular once debugged for Kalifornia shooters.:holysheep

oldred
10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Stange Google image search on Tactical 1895 didn't pull up any with vertical grip on it?

LOL, I guess we had the same idea because I went to Google image search looking for it too.

No doubt things change and I'm not saying that's not good and I don't expect everyone to like the same things I do, I never said there was something inherently wrong with modern "Black" rifles and as much as I like wooden stocks on older designs it's obvious that synthetic is better in just about every way. Again it's someone who actually handicaps their weapon and themselves with useless junk just to look "cool" (or should that be "tacti-cool"?) that I don't understand, however that in no way means I think they should be prohibited from carrying all the junk they want.

theperfessor
10-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Having a fancied up weapon doesn't impress me a bit. Being able to hit what you're aiming at does. Same things with cars, machine tools, and light airplanes. Anybody with money can buy what they want, the skill to use it comes from practice. I respect the practice and the skill.

Bad Water Bill
10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
As long as they leave their brass with me when they leave I do not care what their toy looks like.

A couple years ago someone showed up at the range with some kind of a toy with a 30 round magazine full of 45 ACPs. About an hour later I collected over 525 Win once fired pieces of brass.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Now we have a new Range Master and if brass takes flight it is HIS.

jcwit
10-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm old, my tastes are old, and the only change is, I'm gonna get OLDER!

slim1836
10-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I like to keep things simplehttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_132655071b55a69165.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6955)

cbrick
10-07-2012, 01:14 PM
every other table being jewelry or beef jerky or something else non-gun related. . .

I think I'm going to buy a table for the one in January and set up to sell and sign books. :coffee:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Rick

oldred
10-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I like to keep things simplehttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_132655071b55a69165.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6955)

Now I have to clean coffee from my keyboard! That's just struck me as one of the funniest things I have seen in while, thanks I love it!!! :redneck:

9.3X62AL
10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
It's a new generation of young guys, don't be at odds with them, be friendly and there will be teachable moments that will come along from time to time.

Lots of good sense in what Bill wrote just now. We need to be welcoming to the new folks, and not pass judgement on what they choose to attach to their rifles or sideiron. The AR-15/M-4gery genre is lot like Barbie Dolls for young men, when you think about it. Yeah, the mall ninjas look like posers....but if they are otherwise safe and they're having fun, it's really not my place to judge their hobby activity. They might think that melting lead is ridiculous, at least until they start feeding a 45 ACP or 44 Magnum. THEN, it's time for Us Old Curmudgeons to lend an assist. I wasn't impressed with the Glocks or with the ARs either, until I actually started using the things at work. They have a place in this hobby field, and as defensive tooling (God forbid the necessity).

Recluse, if I had known what was pending at that gun show, I would have spent the time and gas money to see your dressing-down of the nay-sayer. And gotten video. Gotta love how Recluse keeps it real, one hairball at a time.

starmac
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I have never been into black guns or even any of the older military guns, but I don't think there is much difference in the older crowd loving their garands and the younger crowd loving their ar's.
The mall ninja thing is a different story. lol

oldred
10-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Once more my point had nothing to do with the younger crowd (or even older fellas for that matter) liking the new tech, in fact it would be a shame if it was ignored. What I am talking about is the ones who have their weapon loaded down with gear they have no Earthly need for and will never use to the point of simply being ridiculous and quite often interfering with proper use of the weapon. A certain amount of "bling" is understandable but to the point where the weapon becomes clumsy and awkward, and this applies to old designs as well as new, is what I have been talking about. The guy I mentioned in my first post was a good example, he was outfitted with everything but a Kevlar helmet and 95% was just as useless to him as wearing a helmet, good grief we were shooting at a bale of hay with a paper target attached to it! He will NEVER actually use most of that stuff and it's just there to look at so when it gets to the point of being in the way it's then to the point of being ridiculous! Again the point is not the new tech it's how it's cluttered up, the same would apply to a BPCR if it was gommed up in the same manner.

Mods, I just noticed the pic of that modified Marlin has been removed, I am certainly not complaining it's just that I would like to know why so I can in the future avoid whatever it was that was in violation of the rules.

Love Life
10-07-2012, 02:18 PM
The black guns are fun. I resisted getting on until recently, and when I picked her up it was like meeting an old friend. They are comfortable and accurate to boot. Mine is a bone stock Bushmaster AR15 M4 with collapsible stock. Well at least it was before the fire and i lost all my guns, but I digress.

The black guns get more of my generation and generation involved with shooting, along with the whole zombie craze. It is perfectly OK to go blast a bunch of zombie targets, but not ok to shoot at faceless human silhouette targets. Go figure.

As long as more people shoot I don't care how overdone their gun is.

nodda duma
10-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Look at it this way folks:

"Tacticool" is the modern-day version of the older generations' trend of sporterizing milsurps.

There's a lot less modification of old milsurps going on these days, so be glad for the popularity of black rifles.

fecmech
10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I was practicing my offhand shooting with my 92/.357 at my 100 yd swinger and hitting it more than I usually do. Some young fellows at the 25 and 50 yd line were shooting some scoped AR's and having a good time. I went down to get my swinger to leave and the guys moved their target to the 100 yd line. As we passed the young fellow said he was amazed at how accurate that lever was without a scope! He didn't believe you could shoot that far without one. I wished I hadn't shot up all my ammo or I would have let them play with the 92 for a bit.

starmac
10-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Old Red I get what you are talking about, and like I said I don't care for the mall ninja types. It sometimes makes me wonder how stable the guy behind the gun is.
I went to a firearms auction yesterday evening, and there were a few people there, that I wouldn't have been comfortable being around if they were shooting anything, not many, but a few.

waksupi
10-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Mods, I just noticed the pic of that modified Marlin has been removed, I am certainly not complaining it's just that I would like to know why so I can in the future avoid whatever it was that was in violation of the rules.

I have no idea what could have happened to the picture. Unless they have nekkid ladies in them, I can't ever remember a picture being removed.

oldred
10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I have no idea what could have happened to the picture. Unless they have nekkid ladies in them, I can't ever remember a picture being removed.

Nope no nekkid people but I thought the rifle was a little bit obscene!

Not sure what happened here :confused: but there was a pic of a buggered up Marlin 1895 in post #27 and it showed again inside the quote in my post #30, that's what I was referring to in the post which don't make much sense without the picture. If no forum rules were broken it does not matter however, breaking the rules was all I was concerned about.

popper
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Pink spray paint is cheap. I've seen a lot more ladies(most of them anyway, are ladies) at the range this year. Felix, guess I'm on the outs as the rifles I have are an AR(308) and a lever gun. They will do anything I want a gun to do, efficiently. But I cannot imagine carrying a 70 pack ON the AR!

Chicken Thief
10-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Heh, the hardest thing to find at that show was a semi-auto that didn't have those "rail" things attached to it.

The (in)famous tju-tju guns;)

BruceB
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
There was a young man (14 maybe?) at the range one day with his Dad and a new S&W .22 rimfire AR15-type rifle..... I disremember the model number. It was running great, and he was truly having a ball.

After watching him run through a few magazines of Long Rifles, I went to my van and came back with the Armalite AR15 in .223, and a loaded 30-round mag. "Here'" sez I, "Try this."

You never did see such a huge grin. He was smacking the 100-yard gongs with great effect. His poor Dad has a real problem, now!

Let the newer generation enjoy their tastes. We were indulged by our elders, in our own day..... and look where it got us!

BTW, I bought my own AR15 "black rifle" at the young age of 67.... but I also bought an original Sudan-contract AR10 back around 1980.

km101
10-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Yep the women are buying, and not just the pink guns, although there are many of them. It's no longer a case of "I'll buy a gun for my wife." Now days the wife comes along and picks her own. Nice to see more women taking an interest in firearms and self defense.

Bad Water Bill
10-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Once a year the range has a BEGINNERS DAY shoot. We furnish everything. Two years ago I had 2 young ladies (71&72) for students. "Our kids and grand kids can shoot and take care of themselves so we thought it is about time we finally learned something new".

Last year there was a lady that wanted to learn how to handle a revolver(22LR). She took the gun in her hand and the hand just trembled. I suggested that she sit down for a few minutes and relax. NO This is what happens when you hear guns are dangerous all of your life. I have to beat this myself. Well she finally got off 1 shot. :bigsmyl2: Can I try another one? after a short time she emptied 9 rounds and had all of them in the black at 25 yards. Do you have any idea what I am going to buy tom0rrow she asked.

NO said I:bigsmyl2:

Cactus Farmer
10-08-2012, 05:30 PM

But you do have good taste.

And she looks good at 72 ,too!
The conservtave part is gravy.

fcvan
10-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Recluse, I applaud you for putting that guy in check. Too many folks don't understand that the rule of law, the constitution itself, is in peril. Too many are quick to deviate or try to modify law or procedure for expediency. BHO said he 'couldn't wait for congress' and pushed through more BS on executive order or through regulation in clear violation of the constitution. Folks like the one you encountered don't get the concept that in this election there is only one clear choice - vote for the guy who supports the constitution or vote for the guy who wants to fundamentally change America while ignoring the constitution. My hat is off to you for educating this ignoramus about supporting the candidate who will stand up for our rights by supporting and following our constitution. Frank

Moonie
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM
I was like most of you a few years ago, I had no need or interest in the blam blam blam spray and pray black rifles. One of my sons became a Marine and told me he wanted an AR and after some study I discovered building one was an easy project that would be great for the two of us to do together. We decided to build two, one for him and one for me, I started with the lower, he with the upper. This way we would meet in the middle with a functional rifle. Fast forward about 2 1/2 years, we both have a lower and two uppers. He has 5.56 and 300AAC I have 6.8 and 300AAC. These things really are fun to shoot, but don't tell my new Blackhawk, haven't had the heart to introduce them yet.

Houndog
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
My whole point was NOT to diss the AR with all the junk hung on it, or the mall ninja! If you put a GOOD stock AR in their hands and let them see what the weapon is capable of WITHOUT all the garbage you WILL make some converts to a more sane configuration!

FWIW: I'm sure they are good WHEN THEY ARE WORKING, but I don't like the new electronic sight gizmos used on the M4! Let something as simple as a battery dieing or an electronic malfunction happen in a firefight and it could cost a soldier his life! KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) applies to ANY battle weapon in MY opinion!

35remington
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Houndog, all the M4's I've seen in soldier's hands also carry backup folding iron sights. So they have your concerns covered.

Dumb, they ain't.

Ickisrulz
10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
FWIW: I'm sure they are good WHEN THEY ARE WORKING, but I don't like the new electronic sight gizmos used on the M4! Let something as simple as a battery dieing or an electronic malfunction happen in a firefight and it could cost a soldier his life! KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) applies to ANY battle weapon in MY opinion!

Red Dot sights are a force multiplier for close quarters combat. Place the dot and shoot. The Aimpoints are very tough and batteries last (literally) for years. They are fully submersible too. But, iron back up sights are always used except for with the ACOGs which is a whole other (non-electronic) system.

Love Life
10-09-2012, 09:50 PM
ACOGS and RCOs are the bee's knees. We were never issued the snazzy fold down back up sights. We just carried the issue irons in our flaks on the ACOG pouch. ACOG goes down then tak it off and put your irons back on. Although the ACOG is probably stronger than the irons!

Mud Eagle
10-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Recluse, I applaud you for putting that guy in check.

Did you read the same post that I did?

The seller said,

"Nothing. I don't like him either."

Meaning, he didn't like Obama or Romney.

I happen to know a good number of people who understand, love, and respect the Constitution who feel exactly the same way.

Ickisrulz
10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Did you read the same post that I did?

The seller said,

Meaning, he didn't like Obama or Romney.

I happen to know a good number of people who understand, love, and respect the Constitution who feel exactly the same way.

Yeah, I didn't quite know what "nothing" meant. Did he mean he wouldn't vote for Romney or wouldn't be an active part of the campaign?