PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts and lens replacement

Wayne Smith
05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I have recently been dx'ed with an early cataract in, fortunately, my left eye. My question is simple. How stable are lens transplants and does recoil cause them to become unstable? Is there a difference between the various types of lens replacements and their stability?

I doubt that there is an eye surgeon here, but I bet a number of you have been through this and have asked the same question. I would be interested in the answers you received.

Old Ironsights
05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
It's a fer piece from VA to Indianapolis, but I cannot recommend highly enough Dr Price at Price Vision Group. Hes got to be the #1 or #2 guy in the world for Inter-ocular lens replacement. http://pricevisiongroup.com/

Dr Price did my "second opinion" before I got a (somewhat) risky LASIK proceedure done. He's VERY good.

I can't say about recoil sensitivity, but I do know hat he's outfitted downhill skiiers... and if you've ever hit a bunch of moguls, you know that you can take a pretty good jarring there.

TAWILDCATT
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I just had mine done right eye in march and left last yr in march.what a difference.I see better than I ever did and no astigmatzim.I don't know about recoil but mine was done in the VA and doc told me to wait couple of weeks before shooting.(no pain as theres no nerves)see the next day.

1Shirt
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I have had both eyes done, and had some complications with the surgery that caused the need to have the lens on the outside, and have perminent stiches. Saw a retenologist(sp) for 6 mo. and asked about recoil and he felt that there was no problem. I am shooting a lot of 375 at the present time with both cast and J loads with a good percentage of them being full bore loads. No problems.
I had my eyes checked by my surgeon less than two weeks ago, and he found no complications and no change of perscription. Of course everyone is different, and I suggest that you consult with your M.D.
Good Luck,
1Shirt!

44man
05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
For you younger guys, never go out in the sun without sunglasses or glasses that darken. Cataracts will get you. I am almost 70 with no sign of them because I always wear sunglasses. Most guys that get them never wore sun glasses. Some get them regardless but the biggest cause is sunlight.

felix
05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
The 44man rides again! Multiply that light amount by 20X times looking through a 20X scope, 24X through a 24X scope, etc, (minus the f-stop resistance). I have done that via my BR background for so many hours I cannot count. Now, ask my about my right eye with a very bothersome cataract, and one in my left just barely obvious. Moral of the story? Don't look into those gadgets unless you are going to shoot, and don't spend time there looking for conditions (like you have to do if you want to win). In other words, give up BR as a sport as quickly as your emotions will let you. ... felix

Phil
05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree with what Felix said as it mirrors what the VA told me when they replaced both lenses for me. No problems with recoil on the lens score but I almost lost the sight in my left eye when the retina tore loose due to a lifelong eye problem. So now I severely self limit the recoil of what I shoot. That has nothing to do with the lenses, recoil has no effect on them.

I have had very poor eyesight all my life. Over time the eyeballs have elongated to look like footballs to try to get my eyes to focus. The eyeballs got so long that the retinas are stretched so badly that they are in danger of tearing. Obviously the left one did. The docs told me that if it had torn ANY more they couldn't have saved it. Before going into surgery they told me they doubted they could save all the vision in the eye but I got really lucky and they were able to save it all.

I used to enjoy shooting heavy caliber rifles, but now all I shoot is light cast loads in 8mm and under. I read on one medical site that at 13 G's retinas can tear. So I quit. Personal choice, your eyes can't be replaced so I chose those limits.

For vets, I can highly recommend the VA eye clinics at Fort Wayne and Indianapolis.

Cheers,

Phil

targetshootr
05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Wake Forest, or Babtist Hospital, in Winston Salem NC, is a good place at least as far as surgeons. They took out one eyeball that was eaten up with disease and gave me a fairly accurate look alike. fwiw.

monadnock#5
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
My uncle Fred was a life long gun collector, shooter and deer hunter. All his outdoor activities came to an abrupt end when he was in his seventies, after he had gone ice fishing on a beautiful, bright sunny day, without sunglasses. No attempts at surgery, were able to restore his eyesight thereafter.

I have a friend who was stationed aboard the USS Vestal, and moored alongside the USS Arizona on that day "that will live in infamy", who had cataracts removed two or three years ago and couldn't be happier. He reads the newspaper now without glasses. No complications, courtesy of the VA.

Ken

Phil
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I know its popular to bash the VA but they have been a Godsend to me and they do a fantastic job. They repaired my retina on a Saturday morning after working until 10PM or so Friday evening to put together a surgery team. This during a warm summer when I'm sure everyone turned off their pagers after work and went to the lake for the weekend. They tried to contact all their own staff and then tried Wishard and IU with the same results. They finally contacted enough of their own people to do the job. How could I possibly repay that kind of dedication? They just don't quit.

Cheers,

Phil

Halfbreed
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Phil, you paid for that dedication long before you needed the VA. Thank you for your service to our country.
John

Wayne Smith
05-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Amen, Halfbreed! My opthomologist is an eye surgeon and teaches at Eastern Virginia Medical School. He Dx'ed my glaucoma (low pressure, open angle) by the shape of the optic nerve leaving the eye - he's good. I just won't see him for a couple of months and got to wondering. I did some internet searches and didn't find anything on recoil and shooting and figured (correctly, of course) that you guys would have the low down.

Thanks for the reassurance.

PatMarlin
06-01-2007, 08:33 AM
One thing I love about Cast Boolits is the real life lessons that can be learned here on various subjects.

I'm near 48, and I've just started having slight eyesight problems, mainly with my right eye and I think it's because I've sat with the glare from the windows in the living room hitting me from my right more than anything day after day for the past 9 years. Since then I've moved my seat but I think some damage has already started.

Luckily, I've worn dark glasses most of the time, but being an avid boater and fisherman, I know there were times I didn't.

Can someone tell me what lasik surgery is or does, and can it fix your eyesight and actually give you your shooting eye back with iron sights?

MT Gianni
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Lasic is the reshaping of the lens with a laser to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness. My wife had it and her night vision improved but her Dr. saysthat it should not have. Typically for a person approaching 50 it is necessary to wear reading glasses afterwards as they correct far sight and let reading glasses correct close vision. They cannot do both as the eye ages it looses it's ability to focus close as I remember. At 53 in a couple of weeks I have had to go to reading glasses when i am tired. Gianni

dmftoy1
06-02-2007, 06:27 AM
It doesn't necessarily answer your question but Taffin has an article in this month's "Guns" where he talks about his cateract surgery. Doesn't seem to have hurt him a bit. FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave

TAWILDCATT
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I posted above but I want to say the VA was great.both my eyes are done and I never felt a thing.the doctors were fantastic.I'm 83 soooo.I was a welder and got many flashes.my eyes are better than when I was young.nobody can say bad about the VA to me.:coffee: :Fire: