PDA

View Full Version : White horse scotch ?

shotman
10-05-2012, 03:26 PM
what is thoughts on it ?? Seems hard to find in places

Trey45
10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of blended Scotch whiskies, but White Horse is an exception.
I'm also not a big fan of Islay Scotch whiskies, White Horse blends whiskies from all over Scotland, and has a distinct Islay undertone, but not an overpowering peat smoke blast, which is my biggest turn-off for Islay Scotches. I much prefer Speyside Scotch's and certain Highland Scotch's.
White Horse has a very distinctive flavor, I think moslty due to them using grain and malt whiskies from all over Scotland, to my knowledge there's not another bottler who does this there, but I could be, and probably am wrong on that account.
I reckon the hard to find aspect could be because there's not much market for it there, or it could be just the opposite and they can't keep it on the shelves, I would opt for the former rather than the latter. It's a bargain priced Scotch that's best suited for mixing cocktails, rather than having over ice with a drop or two of water to open it.

shotman
10-05-2012, 07:24 PM
thanks tray
I had to order it in . didnt want to get alot as didnt know . I drink chivas and that is hard to beat.
the WH is good as you say peaty
well both are blends.
so I took 1/2 WH and 1/2 chivas WOW what a drink. Will try WH at 3/4 to a 1/4 and see
but monday 6 1/2 gal is coming this way . the mix is really good

smokemjoe
10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
cant beat 4 year old shine aged in oak.

shotman
10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
one is barley other is corn. Got the corn worked out now have to try the other

blackthorn
10-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Putting ice or water in good scotch is ----SACRILIDGE!

felix
10-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Gosh, blackthorn, it's just chemicals! Ever wonder how these batches come out consistent enough to fool tasters into acceptance before they are bottled? You WILL be flabbergasted! ... felix

waksupi
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
The distillerys tell you to add a bit of water to scotch., I agree.

JIMinPHX
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
cant beat 4 year old shine aged in oak.

If you char the inside of the barrel before you age it, it comes out even smoother. At least that's what my great-grand-pappy told me. Apparently he had some experience with that.

waksupi
10-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I found if you run moonshine through a minimum of six layers of filter paper and activated charcoal, it is pretty much as smooth as it gets, no matter how much more or how you age it. Also works on cheap store bought whiskey to greatly improve the smoothness.

44man
10-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Scotch is my downfall! I LOVE single malt but sadly, any scotch is beyond my budget. It is rare I can buy but sometimes I get some for Christmas.
Now tell the truth all of you, if you make shine, how can you wait years to age? Where would you get cheap charred barrels?
I am too old to store anything unless I can take it with me.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Got some of this as a gift a few years back.

http://www.auchentoshan.com/products/our-range/three-wood.aspx

Pretty good stuff and a price to match, I havn't had any since!

ubetcha
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I've been to Scotland for my sons wedding.Absolutely loved it.We did tour a distillery and they did say adding a few drops of water to your glass of Scotch does open up it's bouquet.I drink it with no water or ice.I also prefer Glenlevits or Balvenie Doublewood or Founders Reserve. Aberlour is also good.In fact,I'm having some right now.For me,it all has to be a single malt Highland.

I'll Make Mine
10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I like White Horse, but it's out of my price range these days. I also like Glendronach and Glen Garioch (both Speyside singles), but they're even further out of range. Recently, I've been drinking Old Mill Stream, a very inexpensive blended American Whiskey that's reasonably drinkable and reasonably affordable. It's not Scotch, never mind good Scotch, but it's okay...

10 ga
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
In WVA and drinkin scotch? Well it's blended whiskey! Save yourself some trouble and just drink "Crown" or some Seagrams. Or better yet, just pour that burnt tastin stuff in a glass with some RC cola and ice, (that is as good as it'll ever taste) yum! What can I say, RC even makes bourbon taste better. LOL, 10 ga

x

shotman
10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
yea and some of the hillbillys voted for mr o . but they all drink MB beer.
White horse is cheap if you order on line
also WATER ALL the stuff you buy has been cut with water .
only one out there is Rare Breed by wild turkey. it is barrel run . Most runs about 125 to 129.
You going to have water with it, Ice lasts about 1 min
Ric you must do other things up there when it gets cold . The charcoal is best thing to do but it takes a lot of time to do it right
As for kegs. best way is to go and pick up a NUMBER 1 at the distillery. they are about $100 or so. But a little one is that much

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I prefer a Lowland or Isley Scotch when I set a bottle aside for myself but I've been known to drink a blended whiskey or two (or three)...

I actually prefer the peat taste to the Scotch. Now if you ask me about Irish whiskey, its Bushmills.

Bruce

Trey45
10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Bruce, Bushmills is King! You should try a bottle of Redbreast if you like Bushmills.

bruce drake
10-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I'll look into it. It may have too wait as I'm pretty well stocked at the moment but I will look up Redbreast to see if its readily available.

Bruce

palmettosunshine
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got back into Scotch this past week. Found an open bottle of Glenlivet 12 yr old at my dad's that's at least 20 years old and all I can say is WOW. I have a wee dram in front of me now as a matter of fact....

44man
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Just got back into Scotch this past week. Found an open bottle of Glenlivet 12 yr old at my dad's that's at least 20 years old and all I can say is WOW. I have a wee dram in front of me now as a matter of fact....
You sure know how to hurt a guy!
At least breath into your keyboard for me.

JIMinPHX
10-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I found if you run moonshine through a minimum of six layers of filter paper and activated charcoal, it is pretty much as smooth as it gets, no matter how much more or how you age it. Also works on cheap store bought whiskey to greatly improve the smoothness.

I suspect that charring the barrel has much the same effect as the activated charcoal.