PDA

View Full Version : first cast in 5 months! First pan-lube attempt in 7 years

bruce drake
10-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Between packing up for a move and then unpacking and then just being wrapped around the new job, I have not had a spare moment to cast for 5 months. So tonight I said I would do it and it actually happened.

I ended up casting a couple of hundred 9mm boolits from a couple of molds (it was nice just to get into a casting groove again) and I even decided to try to pan-lube them since I want to try a different sizing technique than normal (LEE Push-through at .357 since my RCBS die is .356 and I was having tumbling issues in the past with these bullets in a Taurus 92).

So the boolits are now all sitting in a pie tin filled with White Label Lube's BAC mix cooling off and setting into the grooves hopefully. Its been a while since I pan lubed so I needed a lube cutter which I made with a 30-06 case with its neck expanded up to .358 with a .358 winchester decapping die and then I took a dremel cutoff wheel and cut a opening in the side of the case for the boolit to fall out of. And to protect my palm during my pushing the cutter into the lube I bored out a round wooden craft ball and Gorilla Glued it to the base of the cartridge so it now it looks like a respectable cutter. If it doesn't work, I know that Buckshot makes cutters so I'll try to buy one from him in the future.

If the pan-lube experiment works than I'll run the boolits through the .357 LEE Size die to meet my FEG Hi-Power's barrel dimensions of .3565 (I pushed a boolit through the barrel last week and got the fresh measurement to try with the 9mm boolits.)

Well its off to bed and then hopefully a trip to the range tomorrow as well...(day off tomorrow due to a Italian who got lost in 1492)

Bruce