PDA

View Full Version : How much Crimping w Lee crimp die

Etienne Brule
05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi everybody,

I need some help

I have a Lee Pistol Carbide DiFactory Crimp e. I cast 45 cal. bullets (pure lead) for a Ruger revolver (cowboy load).

How much crimping do I need to put ??

1- Outside of the crimp groove: I have to screw the adjusting screw 3/4 turn, to avoid that the bullet get partially out after a few "bangs" of the revolver.

2- In the crimp groove, I need to screw 2 turns. Is that too much ? Generate too much pressure

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/geraldbergeron/Reloading/454423-1.jpg

What do you think ? Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

Etienne Brule.

shooter93
05-29-2007, 10:26 PM
The pure lead is soft so you could deform the bullets with to much crimp but you do have to have enought crimp. I shooy bullets in the Bhn 12range and I crimp in the groove with a heahly crimp because the never move and shoot the most accurately that way. That may deform pure lead. If you don't want to shoot a harder bullet you may want to try crimping slightly over....ie....in front of.. the front driving band. That has a tendency to hold the bullet from jumping without causing to much damage. Your OAL is ofcourse a tad shorter.

Bass Ackward
05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
E tie,

I assume you are asking because you don't have a chronograph. Obviously, how much, would be answered best that way.

But this isn't rocket science. Open it up and come in with it. When you see it's holding bullets, then look at your group size.

The only advantage to position 1 over position 2 is if you have large chambers and need to hold the bullets center in them. Some guns may have difficulty chambering position 1, especially after several rounds. But you evidently don't have to worry about loading fast or you would have another bullet design.