PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP with cast...What works for me

kir_kenix
10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I have heard grumblings on a few different boards regarding cast boolits for the LCP in .380. Seems some have had difficulty getting these pistols to cycle, or report terrible accuracy from cast. I will post some of my experiences with this pistol in hopes that it helps someone out later.

First off, this is not a target pistol! People complaining about accuracy from these pistols kind of suprise me. Now, I'm no great marksmen, but putting 6 shots on a 8x11 piece of paper at 7-10 yards in a defensive scenerio is good enough for me. I define "defensive scenerio" as drawing from concealed and shooting at a "threat" in a farily rapid fashion about the only requirement for this gun. I ask that whatever gun I'm carrying be perfectly reliable and accurate enough for the purposes intended. The LCP does this, both with jacketed and cast.

Second, shooting this pistol isn't a whole lot of fun. The recoil generated, even from the lowly 380 Auto isn't overly pleasent in the LCP. When I go to the range I usally fire 2-3 mags through the LCP and 2-3 cylinders through a j-frame (my other carry gun). If somebody is planning on shooting 200 rounds through the LCP on any given day, they are way tougher then I am.

The LCP is what it is. A small, easily concealed handgun with 6 rounds on tap. It lacks anything resembling useful sights outside of 7 yards. The slide does not lock back and I don't even carry an extra magazine. It is however, a very reliable and easy to carry back up gun.

Now to loading for this pistol. The magazine allows seating boolits out further then many .380's I've handled (though not as far as any Beretta or Glock I've seen). I am thankful for this because it allows the use of heavier boolits. Having said that, I am pretty much set on shooting the Lee 102 gr 356-102-1r. My mold does not have the bevel-base found in some examples, just the mildest "rounding" of the base. I size to .358 (which really just fills the lube groove) with no leading, though .357 worked just fine as well. My boolits are poured from WW's with 2% tin for fillout. Barrel slugs at .356 to the best of my ability to measure.

With the 102 gr Lee, I seat so my OAL is .983. I have expiremented with OAL quite a bit and finally settled on this length due to feeding issues. Go too short and the trip from the magazine jams the gun going into battery, go too long and occasionally a round will fail to clear the magazine.

I also expiremented with several different powders. Ended up going back to Bullseye because it meters reasonably well, functions my pistol well, and I have a TON of it. 2.1 grains functions this pistol very well and is easier on the hand then my carry loads. Winchester Small Pistol Primers were used extensively. I did chrono this load, but cannot find my notes right now.

For my carry loads I use the Speer 90 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point. I have heard that this bullet has been discontinued, but I see it for sale on most of the large on-line retailers. 3.2 gr Bullseye in front of the Win SPP is my max load. OAL is .97 in most load books, but I load at .98. This is what I carry most of the time. I have fired several hundred of these loads with zero malfunctions. Clocks at 970 FPS.

I see alot of people trying to make the LCP into something it is not. This gun should not be asked to fire 2" groups at 25 yards or push a 100 grain bullet to 1,200 fps. Not going to happen. If someone has realistic expectations of what a small pocket .380 should do, I have no doubt they will be happy with the LCP.

Thanks for listening to my rant and I hope it helps somebody else out that is struggling with the LCP.

M-Tecs
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
This stuff shoots very well out of my LCP and it gives me 1080 fps. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

SP101GUY
10-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Isn't there an explicit warning in the LCP manual not to shoot +P ammo in the LCP? I believe it's on page 11 of the manual.

AJ

kir_kenix
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Whew! That would be quite the handful in the LCP. Might pick up a box if Cabelas has it tomorrow just to give it a try.

kir_kenix
10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Isn't there an explicit warning in the LCP manual not to shoot +P ammo in the LCP? I believe it's on page 11 of the manual.

AJ

I have not seen this, but I will pull out the manual and check. Funny because I'm sure I recall several magazine articles where they fired +p ammo through the LCP. Usually those guys are really careful not to push the envelope because of potential lawsuits.

fecmech
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
I shoot the RD 100 gr RNFP out of my Keltec. At 900 fps it's uncomfortable to shoot for long strings. I have run well over 100 rds of this loading with no failures to feed etc. so I have confidence in it for carry. That said I practice with a loading in the 800 fps range and practice a lot! I have access to an indoor range that has different timings for turning targets and use one of the olympic variations where the targets turn to you for 2 seconds and away for 5 seconds. I shoot at 5-7 yds and from a low ready position and simply hang 50' BE targets backwards. This to me seems to be the best way to practice as I don't think time will be your friend in an SD situation. Some of my friends who have tried this were shocked to find out that they could not even hit the 10" x 12" paper under these conditions. With the "Mouse" guns I think all that really matters is that YOU can shoot under pressure and that the gun is 100% reliable.

SP101GUY
10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I have not seen this, but I will pull out the manual and check. Funny because I'm sure I recall several magazine articles where they fired +p ammo through the LCP. Usually those guys are really careful not to push the envelope because of potential lawsuits.

Yep, just pulled the manual for my father in laws LCP. Right there on page 11 in red type. He purchased this one right before christmas so it may be a new thing. The ammo warning is right under the lead exposure warning.

AJ

reloader28
10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I really like the 100gr RD FN. Drops out at 103gr and is loaded to 850fps with Bullseye in mine and the wifes little Tauruses. Shoots good in the seven 380's we've tried that load in.

Sweet little boolit.:Fire:

kir_kenix
10-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm looking really hard at the RD mold myself. I have plenty of 9mm molds as it is, but one more could never hurt. However, since I carry jacketed for CCW in this gun, its hard to justify a new mold when the present one functions reliably keeps the boolits on paper.

Maybe I'll pop on over to RD and see if I can resist the temptation any longer.

captaint
10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I have that RD boolit mold myself. I have cast some up and it looks like a very nice little boolit. Even though it is the TL type design, I'm gonna run them through the Star anyway and I expect it will work real well. Mine are going to be launched from a Walther PPK/s, so velocity and pain shouldn't be bad. Here's hoping. enjoy Mike

fecmech
10-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Even though it is the TL type design, I'm gonna run them through the Star anyway

That's exactly what I do and it works great. I lube with Magma hard lube, size to .358 and let her rip. No leading, no problems. I have 2 friends with LCP's who have shot a bunch of my reloads and no problems either.

9-toes
10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Perfect timing for this thread. I bought the RD 100 gr FN just for my LCP. Can't wait to start working up some loads for it.

Wis. Tom
10-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Anybody have a Laser Max on their LCP? I am looking for a holster that protects the laser from getting turned on, while carrying. Sorry for the tread drift. I haven't reloaded for my LCP yet, but I have the die now.

kir_kenix
10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Anybody have a Laser Max on their LCP? I am looking for a holster that protects the laser from getting turned on, while carrying. Sorry for the tread drift. I haven't reloaded for my LCP yet, but I have the die now.

What kind of holster? Pocket, IWB, OWB? I have a few holsters for the LCP, and none of them appear to be made specifically to keep the laser max or other systems from activating while carrying. My buddy on the other hand carries his LCP with laser (crimson trace I believe) in a molded IWB holster. I can ask him what he uses if you are interested in IWB carry.

Put 48 rounds through the LCP today in a local match (IDPA style) without a hickup. We shot a full course with backup guns today. Didn't bring home the prize today, in part because I had to rack the slide on a "tactical" reload. Lost a few seconds there and my opponents gun locked back (he was shooting a taurus of some sort in .380). Oh well, still good practice.

35remington
10-07-2012, 10:37 AM
"Mine are going to be launched from a Walther PPK/s, so velocity and pain shouldn't be bad."

Y'know, I've always found the PPK/s to be a fairly uncomfortable pistol to shoot. The grip tang is narrow and it seems to accentuate recoil, and the blowback operation seems to be more punishing in general. I think my Colt Mustang (the "full size" version) is more pleasant to shoot, commonly claimed to be because of its locked breech operation.

fecmech
10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
"Mine are going to be launched from a Walther PPK/s, so velocity and pain shouldn't be bad."

I thought exactly the same thing when I bought my Astra Constable (PPK Clone). It's way heavier than my Keltec and maybe a tad more painful to shoot. It's very accurate but no fun to shoot.