PDA

View Full Version : remelt pulled boolits with powder flakes?

RobsTV
10-04-2012, 10:33 AM
After pulling boolits that I wish to add to pot for next batch, there is usually some powder flakes stuck to the lube of boolit. I was trying to remove all of the powder, but now am thinking that since it is not in a confined space, it should just burn off in the pot.

Is it safe to add pulled boolits with a little powder stuck to them back into casting pot?

runfiverun
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
yeah it will just mix with the boolit lube on top and burn when you ignite it.
no big drama.

Freischütz
10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I've never had a problem with the few flakes that remain on the bullet.

If you're worried, put the pulled bullets in a cold furnance and let it heat up. The powder will burn when it gets hot enough. There won't be an explosion.

EMC45
10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Do it all the time. It just sizzles and is done. No sweat.

mdi
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
OH NO!! You'll blow up your pot full of molten lead and send hot liquid lead flying all around the room, mebbe starting a fire and destroying your entire house, killing your dog and injuring your children.:kidding:

Mavrick
10-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't worry about the kids...they'll be over to their friend's house.

RobsTV
10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Don't worry about the kids...they'll be over to their friend's house.

Who do you think will be dropping the powdery boolits into the melt? The cat?

(I actually thought I could fill the table with enough stuff that the cat would not have room)

Larry Gibson
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
What's going to "blow up" if you don't have excellent vetilation or are casting outside is your wife or girlfriend.

Most lubes get pretty stinky when melted in hot alloy. A match to the fumes helps burn the off. I just drop a wooden match on top of the melted lube and the heat automatically lights it burning off a lot of the smoke and fumes and stink........

Larry Gibson

DrCaveman
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, I wondered the same thing. I should have known it was OK when I reverted to my middle school self and tried to light a small pile of pulled-bullet powder with my Bic.

Very very unexciting it was. Might as well have been wet sawdust.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, I wondered the same thing. I should have known it was OK when I reverted to my middle school self and tried to light a small pile of pulled-bullet powder with my Bic.

Very very unexciting it was. Might as well have been wet sawdust.

Try black powder for a good time...

Jack Stanley
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Rob , that cat is just to funny !!:lol:

Jack

CheezerWeav
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Glad I am not the only one with a cat helper. I usually have a cat sleeping on the drop towel for the air cooled boolits. But only when pots are off and cooled.

Inkman
10-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I throw a handful on top of a full but cold pot while it heats up for the first time. They all have lube and powder flakes on them. Only thing is, like some have said, it stinks AND they smoke a bunch.

Have never dropped them in a pot full of melted alloy and don't think i ever will :mrgreen:

Al

Inkman
10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Quick pic from last week. Doesn't seem like much from the pic but looks worse in person, especially in the garage where i cast. That pot only had a few in it too. Usually i put much more at the start.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/Inkmanno1/casting%20boolits/Smokeylube2_zps4ecafea6.jpg

Al

SlippShodd
10-04-2012, 10:10 PM
My OCD makes me hit them with a torch to ignite the powder before I drop them in a hot pot. Starting with them in a cold pot doesn't bother me. Now that others have gone before me I may be more brave. I like the smell of boolit lube fluxing the melt...

mike

MT Gianni
10-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I have a designated Haz-Mat disposal sight. PM for an address and I will relieve your worries about the matter. Low fees, and I will supply you with pictures of the remelted lead.

ZigZagMarquis
10-04-2012, 10:31 PM

(I actually thought I could fill the table with enough stuff that the cat would not have room)

Careful there!

Looks like you're prep'in to have a Catastrophe while casting there!

:razz:

Bob Krack
10-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Pappy always told me to just drop a mould full of hot boolits on the towel and the cat would probly move.

Bob

MikeS
10-05-2012, 07:15 AM
It's amazing how cats like warm - hot places! back in 2000 I was living in a house in TN that had a free standing wood stove, the kind with 6" legs keeping it off the floor, and my roommate's cat used to like sleeping under the stove, even when it was burning real hot. More than once the cat would finally come out from under the stove with her coat singed and smoking! And if we let the stove go out she was the first to remind us, squawked like mad til one of us relit the fire.

zuke
10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I've done it plenty of time's.
It's safe and fun!

MBTcustom
10-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I always throw a pinch of 3031 in the pot. Smelling that glorious scent keeps my mind on the end result. I love it!

Captain_Howdy
10-05-2012, 06:39 PM

LOL that cat's got it made dont he!

trapper9260
10-06-2012, 08:01 AM
If you are worry alot about the flakes of powwder .Just take a rag that is clean and wipe the lube and powder off and then you will not have to worry about problems in the pot.I always wipe the lube and powder flakes off the bullets that I need to re do.As for the rag i just burn it with the rest of the trash.No problem.hope this will help.

RobsTV
10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
If you are worry alot about the flakes of powwder .Just take a rag that is clean and wipe the lube and powder off and then you will not have to worry about problems in the pot.I always wipe the lube and powder flakes off the bullets that I need to re do.As for the rag i just burn it with the rest of the trash.No problem.hope this will help.

The hard lube is Carnauba Red and powder is w231 which combined stick to the boolit like glue.

Seeing the posts confirms that nothing to worry about with powder flakes in the melt.

Thanks

W.R.Buchanan
10-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I have one who is very helpful as well. Very good with computers.

He is also a 20 pounder.

This is " Feeps."

Randy