PDA

View Full Version : .357 Max brass comparison

selmerfan
10-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I had the opportunity to test out a few loads for comparison in R-P brass, Winchester brass, and Federal Nickel brass in my .357 Maximum 12" Encore barrel. I won't share the powder charges, as they are fine in my gun, but don't want anyone to do something stupid. Powders used were RL-7 and 4227. Boolits were Lyman 358627 and RD 359-190-RF. I did the original load work up in the R-P brass and all loads were 1" or less at 50 yds. Here is what I found, and this was consistent with three different loads. The R-P brass shoots decent and has good velocity with E.S. in the 35-40 fps range with all three loads. The Winchester brass turned in better groups with both 358627 loads, but had bad vertical strings of 8" with the Ranch Dog boolit, but the E.S. was 12-15 fps with all three loads and about 25 fps faster on average than the R-P brass. The Federal brass did not turn in good groups with either of the 358627 loads and had E.S. in the 50-75 range and all three loads ran 75 fps slower than the R-P brass, and turned in a good group with the Ranch Dog load with a E.S. of 23 fps. So...overall I wasn't pleased with the Federal brass, liked the Winchester brass, but only have 50 pieces of it, and the R-P was decent and I have several hundred piece of R-P. All groups were 5 shot groups, best was 2", worst 8".

MT Gianni
10-04-2012, 12:21 AM
It might be good to know why this is. Wall thickness, case weight grains of water capacity and variance in weight are measurable. The ability to hold bullet tension I doubt is measureable.

selmerfan
10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
I haven't compared water capacity yet - the fired cases are still sitting on the bench, nor have I weighed them. All had a heavy crimp applied and boolits were weight sorted within .1 gr.

Goatwhiskers
10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
The devil is in the details. Let us know what you find. Never tried any RL7 in mine, did try 4227, accuracy sucked, and in my Cadet an increase of 1 grain, still below listed max gave me sticky extraction. Of course the Martini extractor is not real strong. Settled on what is considered in some circles to be fairly heavy charges of A1680 with the RD359190, no pressure problems and consistent approx 1/2" groups. This powder is somewhat slow burning for the cartridge and seems to work well with cast, both GC and PP. GW

selmerfan
10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
1/2" groups at what distance? Mine opened up pretty good at 100 yds. Still minute-of-deer, less than 3" with a 2x scope, which is good enough for my needs.