PDA

View Full Version : muzzle loader kits

garbear
10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I am nuts. US model 1803 harpers ferry kit I have been loooking at this kit from tracks of the wolf. I have been wanting one for years. Yes I have read the article that Lewis and Clark probaly took the 1792 contract rifles instead. The other kit I'd like to attempt to build is Jim Bridger's Hawken rifle in 62 caliber. Anyone here build either one of these.

I have never built a muzzle loader so I know I am in over my head.
Garbear

waksupi
10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I haven't built those specific guns, but if you want one put together, send me the parts, and we'll talk money.

reloader28
10-05-2012, 09:30 AM
They had Bridgers gun on display at the BBHC in Cody two summers ago and that thing is MASSIVE.
You better be a big boy if your going to pack that around.

gnoahhh
10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
May or may not be in over your head. Depends on your skill levels. Personally I would reccomend something simpler to start with, or just follow waksupi's advise/offer and be happy!:-)

waksupi
10-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Definitely stay away from doing a Hawken until you have built a few guns. They are the hardest rifle you will ever fit up.

Silo65
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Garbear

Both kits require installing the underrib and pipes, which is what I think Waksupi meant as being difficult. TOW offers installation of much of the metal work for an additional fee. If they do the metal work than both kits looks like a relatively easy build.

The 1803 looks like a nice gun but I have been looking at the full stock kit for the 1892 from St Louis Plains Rifle. However, for a first timer I think Don's kits are allot more work.

waksupi
10-09-2012, 08:59 PM
What I was referring to with the Hawken, is properly fitting the tang, trigger guard and barrel in proper position. They all very closely interrelated and almost must be installed thinking of them as one unit. It can be a real bugger if you don't know the tricks.

garbear
10-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Would the 1803 harpers ferry be like a hawken?
Garbear

fouronesix
10-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I just looked at TOWs 1803 HF kit and all the pics of the parts. It looks pretty straight forward with a bunch of the inletting already done. If you can drill straight holes thru the rib and drill and tap blind holes into the barrel plus do a little soldering- you could do probably do it. Some of the cast parts require finishing and that just takes patience and some labor. Between the fact that it is already mostly inlet and that it is a flintlock, the fitting up of the trigger, lock and torch hole are pretty straight forward. A "Hawken" design as has been posted IS harder for the reasons that have been posted. That's not to say any of them are "fall of a log" easy. Any build will require some time and work. Try to go fast and sloppy, take short cuts, not read instructions and fully understand them or not think thru each step- then the simplest kit won't turn out very well. The 1803 HF looks about middle of the road in difficulty.